LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at changing the torque converter to either a Vigilante 2800 or 3200 stall, Which would you go with?

Car will at most only get heads & mild cam & shorties (now just custom tune & HSV tube) - but that is a year or two off. Kid is in college now, money to say the least is tight and will be for 5 years. So I figured the new TC would be the mod with the most potential for my monetary situation.

The car will be on the street most of the time and we have horrible tracffic around here. So it needs to be civil. Only looking to pick up a few tenths when it does hit the track. I figure it will need Nitto's also - given the lack of traction last week at ETown.

Steve

·
Registered
262 Posts
get the 3200 ... part throttle tooling around will be basically identical, but when you hammer it you'll thank yourself for getting the extra stall RPM ... 3200 is perfect IMHO, and what I'll put in mine when it comes time..

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
I believe there was a topic on this about 2 weeks back. Try a search -- you might find the info you need. I say 3200, btw. Just watch that fuel economy (assuming you give a crap ;))

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys.

As respects the fuel issue - it is an issue but no a deal breaker. Anything I do to pick up time is going to impact it.

Steve

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
Go with the Vig 3200, and get the programming done. You shouldn't lose any mileage and your driveability will actually be better. A 2800 isn't worth dropping the trans for:D

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
My opinion, get a converter with a high torque multiplier. I'd think with the weight of the car you would want a high multiplier to get the car moving quickly.

I don't know what kind of reputation Yank has these days, but i had an SY3500 in my '99 T/A and it was a great converter. It had a low STR so the tires weren't spinning everywhere, but I always kind of wished that I had gone with a TT28 or 3000 converter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts