LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the OEM suspension on my 2006 GTO is a bit harsh (I don't have the strut issue - 10/05 build date) and I would love to make it softer. This is my daily driver and I have a baby on the way, so I am interested in making the suspension more compliant on uneven pavement, railway crossings and potholes. I am not talking about making it soft as a Buick, but looking for slight improvement.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Ignoring the Speed Limit
1,436 Posts
The stock suspension is pretty boaty right off the showroom floor. I don't know why you'd want to gimp the car further...IMHO any further softening of it with 400hp under the hood is a recipe for disaster.

Drive it for another 40k miles...it'll get really soft.

Oh... might I submit that you really bought the wrong car.

Just sayin'.

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
First off, make sure the shipping spacers were removed from the front springs.

The easiest way to reduce the harshness is to reduce the wheel size. Find some stock 17's and that will make a difference. There are plenty of people that want the 18's and will trade you their 17's + $$$ for your 18's.

·
Registered
506 Posts
And why oh why would you soften that suspension??

The car's already loose.

I just slammed in some GSRs and urethane throughout the front end and it's a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! Better handling, better corner grip, better braking. Haven't even touched the brakes yet. The ride feels no harsher than stock.

If you're looking for a lux sedan ride outa the Goat you got the wrong platform to start with. IMO. Too much torque and power to make things looser.

Groucho is exactly right. You're flirtin' with disaster.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Our Pedders Comfort Gas struts are about equal to the OEM but with better control since they are gas. The OEM struts are just oil

mike
dms

·
Sold August 10 2007
2,593 Posts
BobthePhotoGuy said:

The easiest way to reduce the harshness is to reduce the wheel size. Find some stock 17's and that will make a difference. There are plenty of people that want the 18's and will trade you their 17's + $$$ for your 18's.

Bob is right many people report same thing... common causes...

1) Tires are overinflated for delivery most are at 55lbs which is rock hard, check your tires and set to factory specs, probably closer to 33lbs

Plus exactly what Bob has said, lower profile tires make for a more harsh ride and the shipping spacers cause you to have rock hard front suspension because your springs can't spring.

Check all those common things then see how it feels.

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
GTO Lover said:
I think the OEM suspension on my 2006 GTO is a bit harsh (I don't have the strut issue - 10/05 build date) and I would love to make it softer. This is my daily driver and I have a baby on the way, so I am interested in making the suspension more compliant on uneven pavement, railway crossings and potholes. I am not talking about making it soft as a Buick, but looking for slight improvement.

Thanks for any advice.
Dude you bought a friggen sports car!!! The GTo suspension is VERY soft factory. It's softer than the grandprix by a fair amount.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew you guys would "kill" me on this issue - I shouldn't be expecting a comfortable ride in a sports car. Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with the ride when I am by myself - I totally enjoy the car and the way it behaves on the road. The problem is that I want to keep this GTO for as long as I can, but we have a baby on the way and my wife is complaining that the ride is too stiff and harsh over bumps and that we should get something more "child friendly". If I could make the ride more livable on the terrible Chicago streets - I would have a strong argument for keeping the car.
My tire pressure is at 33 front and 36 rear and I am not sure about the spacers, but I don't think they are there (will double check tonight). I noticed, however, that the rear of my GTO can be very easily depressed and soft when I press on the rear fender, but the front is hard as a rock and barely moves down under hand pressure on the fender. Is it the same in your GTOs?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,421 Posts
Get konis so you can adjust it back and forth
I have pedders in mine, and they are too rough for a DD. (but rock on the track and aggresive twisties)

They are coming out as soon as I get around to order some konis

·
Sold August 10 2007
2,593 Posts
I think you need to get under there and have a peek. A stock GTO is a comfortable ride on stock tires. Look for spacers in the front springs, if you see little blocks in the coils, take them out. Look very carefully at your rear shocks to see if you have a blown seal (oil). Stock, they are fine and child friendly, they will never be a Caddilac but they should be VERY comfortable. If you live in an area where the roads are especially harsh the GTO may not be a good car for your family. The GTO suspension, doesn't, in my opinion fair well on rough roads, nor should it really. (just an opinion, no facts involved)

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
^ +1. Move away from the crummy roads before selling the goat!

·
Acta Non Verba
1,023 Posts
GOAT blows on rough pavement plain and simple...isn't a HARD suspension like a vette (I've only been in a C5) but it sure as hell aint my mom's lexus either!

If it's any consolation I traded in a 2005 accord for my GTO, and the ride was more or less comparable. I had an EX which has the "sportier" suspension and the ride was equally or even more rough over uneven/bumpy pavement. If an accord isn't a baby hauler than what the hell is?

Live with it or get a DTS!

293 Posts
BostonF4$ said:
If it's any consolation I traded in a 2005 accord for my GTO, and the ride was more or less comparable. I had an EX which has the "sportier" suspension and the ride was equally or even more rough over uneven/bumpy pavement. If an accord isn't a baby hauler than what the hell is?
+1

the stock suspension (as long as there's nothing wrong with it) is VERY forgiving, as soft or better than most family cars on the market.

what are the chances your wife is just trying to INVENT a complaint so that you have to get rid of your 2-door sports car?

·
Registered Gator
506 Posts
You might also try adjusting your tire pressure to see if that helps. I also find that the road condition does effect ride - but not to my surprise. I run 35 lbs. around in my DD over smooth and rough roads. You would not be the first to sell their Goat with the arrival of a new baby...:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
GTO Lover said:

Thanks for any advice.
Dude,

Is that you talking or your other half with the estrogen. I brought my daughter up in the back of a 1986 Mustang SVO.

·
1 of 40,757
6,483 Posts
1stGOAT said:
1) Tires are overinflated for delivery most are at 55lbs which is rock hard, check your tires and set to factory specs, probably closer to 33lbs
I wondered why the hell there was almost 60psi of air in my tires. :drink:

·
bah bah bumblegoat
460 Posts
As I've stated in other threads for people asking for this, tire make/manufacture can make a large difference in the ride quality. Look for something in the line, as tirerack calls them "grand touring all season/standard touring all season". Also moving to the 17 inch wheel/tire combo will also help "soften" the ride if your on 18 inch now.

·
Registered
453 Posts
BobthePhotoGuy said:

I would.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
CGs will improve the ride by better controlling the bound and rebound cycles. Changing the tire and wheels would also help. Btw, my three daughters ages 3 to 10 love the GTO, particularly when the tires smoke :burnout:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I sure won't get rid of my GTO that easily. I was already practicing putting in a baby car seat in the back and it will be fine. Putting a stroller in the trunk - that's a different story. Winter is coming to Chicago, so I will most probably get some 17s with winter tires, which should improve my ride. I won't agree with some of you who say that GTO has the same ride as many family cars out there. Those are a lot softer from Camry through Impala and Accord. However, I wouldn't trade my GTO for one of those, never!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts