LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Go Tigers!
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the clutch problem yet, I only have 220 miles on the goat.
Shifts very smoothly. However, my VIN does fall in the range that it
may have a problem. My car was built in Feb. Should I take a wait and
see approach or should I take it to the dealer and have them check
the torque on the clutch bolts just to be safe. What do you all
think? Thanks!
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Check the 'OK'

Yellow Jacket M6 said:
I don't have the clutch problem yet, I only have 220 miles on the goat.
Shifts very smoothly. However, my VIN does fall in the range that it
may have a problem. My car was built in Feb. Should I take a wait and
see approach or should I take it to the dealer and have them check
the torque on the clutch bolts just to be safe. What do you all
think? Thanks!
Slide under there and look up at the marking on the rear of the head with a flashlight. If it's a yellow 'OK' marking, you are in. If there is ANY doubt that it might be white, see the Dealer, give him the info on the problem gleaned from here (print it out, including pictures) and the different torque specs now. If they say no, gently remind them of the real possibility of a catastrophic clutch failure boomeranging back on them and Pontiac. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
YJM6, I would takes OLD GOAT's advice. Also, have you checked the fluid level yet. OLD GOAT discovered in another post at what openning to top off at on the tranny.
You might ask him about that. I have an A4 and checked my levels just to be safe.

COSMO
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Sheesh, THANKS! I forgot...

COSMO GUY said:
YJM6, I would takes OLD GOAT's advice. Also, have you checked the fluid level yet. OLD GOAT discovered in another post at what openning to top off at on the tranny.
You might ask him about that. I have an A4 and checked my levels just to be safe.

COSMO
Make sure you have 4.6 quarts of Dexron III in there, the check hole is the backup light switch mounting hole. The Helms is correct. The Owner's Manual is off at 4.4 Quarts per Pontiac. I forgot to put it in my message, and it is every bit as important to check. :eek:
 

·
Go Tigers!
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for being a little dense, but I can't see squat from underneath the car.
Where exactly do I look. The backup light switch hole is the check hole?
Again, sorry for being a dufus, but where the heck is that.
 

·
Go Tigers!
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, found the yellow OK, had to use a mirror and a flashlight, but found it.
I guess if I got under the car I could probably find it now. So, means I should
be fine, right?
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Backup Lamp Switch Hole

Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Ok, found the yellow OK, had to use a mirror and a flashlight, but found it.
I guess if I got under the car I could probably find it now. So, means I should
be fine, right?
Just to be sure... ;)
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Yellow 'OK'

Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Ok, found the yellow OK, had to use a mirror and a flashlight, but found it.
I guess if I got under the car I could probably find it now. So, means I should
be fine, right?
If it is definitely yellow, you should be fine. But keep any issue with the clutch in the back of your mind. Now check the fluid. It should be even with the hole, assuming you are level. :)
 

·
Go Tigers!
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'm not level(that's what my wife says, lolol) but my car is, so I'll give
it a check. Thanks a bunch for that diagram, that is great. You have
been a great help. This forum is priceless, and so are you guys. Thanks!
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Tou're welcome

Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Well, I'm not level(that's what my wife says, lolol) but my car is, so I'll give
it a check. Thanks a bunch for that diagram, that is great. You have
been a great help. This forum is priceless, and so are you guys. Thanks!
Actually, you are more than welcome... :thumbs: Anytime. And I think the wife meant you are not ON the level... :D
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top