LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. As far as the exhaust I have flowmaster super 40's and I have the resonators taken off. I just baught a pair of kooks long tubes from Bob. The shop I went to said he will put my headers on and will run all new pipes (He bends his own) for $600. Just curious if this is a smart idea or are the new pipes in the back a waist of money. Would I be better off just having him put the headers on and the mid pipes and keep my cat back the same? Also since I have the long tubes I hear I have to get new mid pipes. Just curious how much it would cost just to get the pipes that connect the headers to my exhaust.

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
$600 doesnt seem to be a bad deal for install and new pipes. Catted mids are around $400, but if your guy bends pipes he can probably just fab the exhaust from the collectors back. I think its illegal for the guy to not put cats in though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's illegal not to put cats on, but i;m in Michigan so i'm not to worried about it. Just curious if I should do the cat back with new pipes or leave the cat back the way it is right now. Also for those who know what it is, would mandral pipes be alot better? To make a long story short.

1. Should I do more work to my cat back or just do the mids?

2. Should I find another shop that does mandral pipe? I;m guessing mandral
would be more expensive.

3. Should I just buy the mid pipes and have my brother do just the headers
and mid pipes for free?

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
In my case. I bought the right mids with the headers. As far as your cat back. A Flow Master catback is less than 600 or so. If you do this, you can install everything yourself, and it flow better due to the right tybe of bend, and 2.5 inch pipes. You stock cat back is only 2.25 inches.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn's sound like a bad plan but it wouldn't it cost me more then $600 to buy the flowmaster catback and the mid pipes?

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
Theres a lot of guys running lots of horsepower through the stock cat back, do the headers and see if you like that first. Mandrel bending is whats prefered, nice smooth bends in this method.

Try the headers and buy the mid pipes first, I also live in michigan but went with cats on mine. I have heard some cars without cats and I prefer the catted sound. But either way Id get the mid pipes that would normally be packaged up with your headers.

·
baaaaahhh
269 Posts
You should worry about it. Everyone has to do their part to protect Mother Nature. everyone.....yes...even you.

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
Loving my factory 04 muffs on the 3" SW lts. No cats, no res.
Sounds good, no drones or vibes.
2.25 will flow more than a bolt on car needs.
I did have to go to cutout when the cam/heads swap to maximize flow at high rpm. Still rocking the stock muffs though. I get lots of props on the exhaust sound.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet that sounds sweet. The guy I'm going to said he will be putting 2 1/2 pipes. Is that a good size or can I go a tad bigger?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts