LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I'm posting my question in the right forum. I am new to the GTO, and need some advice. Any and all tips or pointers are appreciated.
So my daughter got a 2004 GTO Automatic for her birthday. She has yet to drive it and I feel bad now. We dropped it off at the paint shop to be repainted. It was running fine and the key fob was working.
We go back a few weeks later to check on car and do some sanding and the battery is shot, key fob not working.
I go buy a new battery put it in and now key fob is working again (key fob is worn out but still working to lock and unlock car)
Now heres my issue,
We have a no crank no start situation.
What are some of the problems it could be?
I've checked fuses they all seem to be good still.
The instrument cluster lights up and radio comes on so do the headlights. The windows roll down as well.
Could the key fob be the problem even though it is locking and unlocking car? Or could it be something more serious like that starter?
Like I said any and all advice is much appreciated.

·
Performance Addict
2005 PBM, 6 Speed, corner carver
159 Posts
I have not seen this but I'll toss out an idea. There is a security interlock that communicates with the key fob. There is a ring around the ignition switch with picks up the signal from the FOB. It is possible that is the issue. I am not positive but something you can try it put the key in the ignition and turn the ignition on, wait for a couple of minutes with the key in the on position and then try to start. I believe the interlock is just a delay to deter theft. While I cannot promise this is the issue, it is something to try and isolate.

The other possibility could be a neutral safety switch failure. If the car is not sensing the trans in park or neutral that is another possibility why it isn't engaging the starter.

Let us know what you find out. I know when I replaced my ignition switch I forgot to plug in the ring on the ignition and had to take it apart and plug it back in.

Reactions: G-Unit04

·
It's only cosmetic...
462 Posts
Are you sure she has a GTO? You can't just pop open the key (key and fob are one unit) and replace the battery. The battery is soldered in place and the key shell is glued together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not seen this but I'll toss out an idea. There is a security interlock that communicates with the key fob. There is a ring around the ignition switch with picks up the signal from the FOB. It is possible that is the issue. I am not positive but something you can try it put the key in the ignition and turn the ignition on, wait for a couple of minutes with the key in the on position and then try to start. I believe the interlock is just a delay to deter theft. While I cannot promise this is the issue, it is something to try and isolate.

The other possibility could be a neutral safety switch failure. If the car is not sensing the trans in park or neutral that is another possibility why it isn't engaging the starter.

Let us know what you find out. I know when I replaced my ignition switch I forgot to plug in the ring on the ignition and had to take it apart and plug it back in.
Thank you, I'll give those tips a shot!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure she has a GTO? You can't just pop open the key (key and fob are one unit) and replace the battery. The battery is soldered in place and the key shell is glued together.
I'm positive she has a GTO lol
2004 Pulse Red A4
Black Interior with silver stitching. red GTO stitching on seats, and silver instrument cluster

·
Registered
552 Posts
Did you try putting the car in neutral and see if it starts? is the theft light flashing on the dash? You might have to scan to see if there are any codes stored.

Reactions: G-Unit04

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you try putting the car in neutral and see if it starts? is the theft light flashing on the dash? You might have to scan to see if there are any codes stored.
Yes I tried putting in neutral and starting it, but still got nothing. The theft light was flashing after i locked it up. I dont recall if it was while i was trying to get it to start.😬
You may be right, I might have to do that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WELL DUH Y'ALL PARKED IN ON THE GRASS

SOME CRITTUR KLIMBED UP IN DUR AND DUN CHEW'D T3H WIRUEz!

(i'm kidding. i dunno.)
I parked it at the paint and body shop, that's where they told me to park.
Well I mean that is a possibility🤦‍♀️, I hope not though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I honestly have no idea, I'm new to these cars. I'm just a mom trying to learn what I can to get my babygirl up and going.
I appreciate all of you guys for giving pointers!

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I honestly have no idea, I'm new to these cars. I'm just a mom trying to learn what I can to get my babygirl up and going.
I appreciate all of you guys for giving pointers!
I'd double check to see what the theft light is doing with the key in it and possibly while trying to crank. Maybe they need to be synced up again. The car can be finicky with keys.

Check fuel pressure at the rail. Maybe the fuel pump died or the relay went bad.

·
Powdercoat all of it
217 Posts
I assume you don't hear the starter trying? Id try that. If it sat for a while outside, maybe the starter seized?

·
It's only cosmetic...
462 Posts
I'm positive she has a GTO lol
2004 Pulse Red A4
Black Interior with silver stitching. red GTO stitching on seats, and silver instrument cluster
View attachment 503348
Nice. I did not have enough patience to replace the battery. I gave up before getting to desoldering and bought some Holden replacements.

·
Powdercoat all of it
217 Posts
Alright, please clarify: did you replace the car battery or the key fob battery? I read you replaced the car battery, the dude above seems to read you replaced the fob battery. That may help clear things up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I assume you don't hear the starter trying? Id try that. If it sat for a while outside, maybe the starter seized?
I dont hear anything, no clicks nothing from inside the car. I had a guy try to start it while I was under the hood and I could hear faint clicking noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, please clarify: did you replace the car battery or the key fob battery? I read you replaced the car battery, the dude above seems to read you replaced the fob battery. That may help clear things up.
I'm sorry, I can see how my wording in the original post is misleading on that.
I replaced the car battery. The one in it was a million percent dead. So I just replaced it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts