LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, the 6 bolts that hold the drivers side half shaft into the diff fell out and the dealership now has it for repair. It has been there for 2 weeks and today I got a call saying that they would have to have it for 3 more weeks because the new half shaft they ordered isn't available. They got the new bolts, clips and cover in. There is nothing wrong with the half shaft (I looked) and they say they have to replace it because a bulletin says it has to be replaced. Now why would they need to replace the half shaft if there is no damage?

I told them to put the new parts on they have and gimme my damn car and they said they can't do that. They are holding my car hostage. By the time they give my car back, it will be well over 30 days in shop and I can use the lemon law. I don't wanna do that, I want my car!

Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
04bluegto said:
i would at least make them give you a free loaner, if you cant have yours back.
They gave me a loaner, a Toyota Prius. That's no the problem. The problem is, there's no problem with the half shaft that's on there yet they won't put the car back together and give it to me because the supposed TSB says they have to replace the half shaft.

·
late owner of a 2004
701 Posts
Well I contact the GM customer service and they started the ball rolling then I call the Guy below and the next thing I knew,........ I got my car back today....... It had been in the shop since 8-2-04 and they were telling me 3-5 weeks more.

Pontiac-GMC Communications
Jim Hopson
Phone: 313-667-4124
Fax: 313-667-4001
E-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rockos GTO said:
Well I contact the GM customer service and they started the ball rolling then I call the Guy below and the next thing I knew,........ I got my car back today....... It had been in the shop since 8-2-04 and they were telling me 3-5 weeks more.

Jim Hopson
Thanks Roco...I'll try that tomorrow.

Also, they called me back to apologize. They said it's not the half shaft they're replacing, its the peice in the diff that the shaft bolts on to that has to go. That makes more sense.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
Same thing happened to me but it took less than a week to find the parts, install, and replace. Why is it taking so long to find these parts? Are they the same parts that is in the IRS of a vette?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I doubt if the halfshaft is exactly the same.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Rockos GTO said:

Jim Hopson
Very good info Rockos and congrats on getting your car back. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They're now telling me that there is no TSB and the half-shaft is not what needs to be replaced. They need to replace the stub shaft because all the bolt holes are stripped out. They say that the part is in Michigan and that it will take 3 weeks to get here.

If anyone wants to make a quick $50, find that part, throw it to UPS and have it sent to Ultimate Pontiac, Fredericksburg, VA.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
powrtrippin said:
They're now telling me that there is no TSB and the half-shaft is not what needs to be replaced. They need to replace the stub shaft because all the bolt holes are stripped out. They say that the part is in Michigan and that it will take 3 weeks to get here.

If anyone wants to make a quick $50, find that part, throw it to UPS and have it sent to Ultimate Pontiac, Fredericksburg, VA.

That is ridiculous. If a part is available in Michigan, and the parts manager is stupid enough not to overnight it for a car down in the shop, it takes about 5-6 days to hit the door. If the part is on backorder, it is the parts managers responsibility to create a SPAC case. A SPAC case is when you order the part critical, with the VIN of the affected vehicle attached, and GM searches all dealerships in the nation for the part. If a dealer somewhere has the part, they are instructed to overnight it to your location at GM's expense. If no
other dealer has stock, a phone call to the Regional Parts Represenative will get the part aquired from other sources (i.e., assembly line, production plant, etc.) Basically, these people don't give a f*#k about you or your car. :bs:

The part number for the left hand (drivers side) differential stub shaft is 92140331. As per GM DealerWorld, 14 are available at PDC # 663 (Phillidelphia, PA) for overnight delivery. Print this out, take it to the store General Manager, and tell him to crack the whip on these lazy fools.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HRJ said:
That is ridiculous. If a part is available in Michigan, and the parts manager is stupid enough not to overnight it for a car down in the shop, it takes about 5-6 days to hit the door. If the part is on backorder, it is the parts managers responsibility to create a SPAC case. A SPAC case is when you order the part critical, with the VIN of the affected vehicle attached, and GM searches all dealerships in the nation for the part. If a dealer somewhere has the part, they are instructed to overnight it to your location at GM's expense. If no
other dealer has stock, a phone call to the Regional Parts Represenative will get the part aquired from other sources (i.e., assembly line, production plant, etc.) Basically, these people don't give a f*#k about you or your car. :bs:

The part number for the left hand (drivers side) differential stub shaft is 92140331. As per GM DealerWorld, 14 are available at PDC # 663 (Phillidelphia, PA) for overnight delivery. Print this out, take it to the store General Manager, and tell him to crack the whip on these lazy fools.

Hope this helps.
I took this (might I say AWESOME JOB!!!) information and again called the service manager. He then change the story and said that the stub shaft is the part that had come in and they were waiting for the bolts and a boot kit for the CV joint.

Part #'s
90278995 & 92147467

HRJ, any chance you would be able to run those down?

You da Man!

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
powrtrippin said:
I took this (might I say AWESOME JOB!!!) information and again called the service manager. He then change the story and said that the stub shaft is the part that had come in and they were waiting for the bolts and a boot kit for the CV joint.

Part #'s
90278995 & 92147467

HRJ, any chance you would be able to run those down?

You da Man!
Well now......The bolts (qty:39) are available at the same PDC. The boot, however, is on supplier backorder, hence the three week delay. In this situation, in the interest of customer satisfaction, we would take a GTO off of the line, use it's part on yours, then replace the stock unit's part with the new one when it came in. I can't say that your dealer would do the same........ :confused:

Anyway, it's kinda weird that it took three tries to get the correct information from them. :banghead:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HRJ said:
Well now......The bolts (qty:39) are available at the same PDC. The boot, however, is on supplier backorder, hence the three week delay. In this situation, in the interest of customer satisfaction, we would take a GTO off of the line, use it's part on yours, then replace the stock unit's part with the new one when it came in. I can't say that your dealer would do the same........ :confused:

Anyway, it's kinda weird that it took three tries to get the correct information from them. :banghead:
You still da man! So, it looks like all they're waiting on is the CV boot? That's crazy!

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
I would like to add that if anyone on this board needs some dealer-related questios answered, feel free to call me at the toll-free number listed in my signature. It's alot easier to reach me this way since there is not a set time that I check the site. I can't promise that I can answer every question, but I'll damn sure try!

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
HRJ said:
I would like to add that if anyone on this board needs some dealer-related questios answered, feel free to call me at the toll-free number listed in my signature. It's alot easier to reach me this way since there is not a set time that I check the site. I can't promise that I can answer every question, but I'll damn sure try!
Wow thanks.......at least some people out there acutally give a crap about customers......... :cool:

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
HRJ said:

I do that switching parts crap all day long, and only get paid for one car :barf: long as their willing to keep you in a rental just wait. whats the rush? Switching parts just leads to a larger quagmire.

Another thing to keep in mind, vehicle out of service for 30 days in my state gives customer an option for lemon law. Thats when switching parts from a lot car gets used.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts