LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
NorCal Goat
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up fellas?

As some of you might know, I'm having a little me... Minus the huge penis, and accompanying balls.

Now I have to purchase a "family car", and I'm leaning a little towards this Honda Element. I like it because it's different, and the interior is made for the outdoors-y type person. By that, I mean the interior is water/stain proof. Almost everything inside is rubber, and with the incoming shit/puke storm, it sounds very convenient. You can almost just hose it down.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?AVi=2&id=9353602&N=4294967097+4294966428+69&D=90&zip=94806&pD=0&pI=0&pT=400&pC=200&pB=0&No=0&Ep=search:findcar:used&Rp=R&PP=50&sV=List&CD=14+966+190+9&Q=85bc5c01-d190-4e10-9368-0c8989edb777

What do you guys think? Any experience with them, or know anybody that has one?

Alternative vehicle suggestions are welcomed, but I prefer a crossover or wagon, and at a max of $20k.

·
Abracadabra Holmes
5,627 Posts
:lol: at your opening statement ....

Congrats on the Espinoza family growing !! I just had my first as well, and my wife bought a 2012 Ford Explorer. It's very roomy and has a lot of cool features and options. She paid around 30k though so it may be alittle out of your budget you had.

About the Honda Element you have shown, I don't know too much about those but I'm sure they are a good car for the money. I was never thrilled with the looks of them but the picture you just posted of one, it doesn't look as bad as I thought. The interior design you mentioned seems like a good idea for kids, but we haven't had any puke issues yet. Hope you find what you want, and I'm sure others will chime in with some good ideas.

P.S. you need to come around more often, but I'm afraid now that your having a kid we will never see you again...!!! :stickpoke

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
Not a fan. For $20K you have better options.

The whole shit/puke storm wasn't a big deal either. Just keep it vacuumed and clean the the Cheerios won't build up in every crack and corner.

You can get a New CRV 2wd, Forrester or Ford Escape for $22K.

·
Building something nasty...
1,182 Posts
Sitting in the back seat is uncomfortable in the element imo. Who ever rides in the back with the baby won't like it. Congrats btw

·
www.norcalgoats.com
3,311 Posts
The whole shit/puke storm wasn't a big deal either. Just keep it vacuumed and clean the the Cheerios won't build up in every crack and corner.
This is true. They don't really start to make a mess in the car for a couple of years.

Our Pilot has been great in terms of reliability and maintenance. I would assume the Element would be the same.

After my recent car shopping experience I came to the conclusion that Honda's are a little overpriced for what you get. At least that seemed to be the case in terms of the Accord. I would encourage you to shop around a little bit more.

·
Product of Italy
2,806 Posts
Jose - Congratulations on the new addition to your family!!!...:attachment:

The Element seems like Tupperware. Check out the Rav4, just :cents:...

·
Carbon Feaver
3,602 Posts
If you are looking for new, I love my CX5... if you get the base, it's right around your budget.

Otherwise, the element I think is a good choice. It's an ugly beast, but it's as practical and reliable as they come.

·
Mr.CGM / Team G.P Performace
4,807 Posts
major congrats Jose on the born .....sorry i cant be much help in the car department tho

·
150k Club
3,955 Posts
Congrats on the baby! After my son was born I bought a Tahoe, I haven't seen the interior of the Element but you need space for strollers and big boxes of diapers. We would just fold the third row.

·
AARP Qualified
7,190 Posts
No experience with Element other than shared intrigue. Also like that idea of hosing it down inside but I agree with Ken, crap everywhere may be a little further down the road. What I remember from early parenthood was our life was all about "gear". Tons and tons of gear that goes everywhere you go until they're mobile. So keep this in mind with your homework. Think easy access to car seats for kids in and out ( sorry to say it but MiniVan dude, is the most convenient) and think gear in and out, not just for you but V is one who's going to be hauling primarily. Rented a new plush Chrysler Town and Country in New Orleans last year; loved the captain chairs in the back!
If that's too Nuclear Family for you, maybe a cross over...a late model Cadillac or that Chevy Andrew got is real nice...Equinox!

But if you have the need for speed, Chevy SS in a few more months. The beauty here, it can go to the track or do car seats to day care, or most importantly, do Vegas for GoatRun with car seats. Just being practical, Daddy!

Congratulations my friend to you and Veronica during this special and exciting time!

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
Colin hit it right there Jose, the Mini Van is to me the best family vehicle cause of the ease of putting in a child seat and all the gear that goes with having kids in general. We have a 05 Caravan and it has been a good van. I have 180k on it with the original alternator on it still. Driving habits are key in having a vehicle that will last. If you drive it normal and do the oil changes, any of these will go a long ways in mileage. To me the Mini Van rules only cause of the room to get in and out and the amount of space you have to store a lot of stuff. Safety wise a lot of new cars have the child seat anchors built into the new cars now a days. I prefer the Dodge Caravan in my opinion since they I believe were the first to come out with one. Good Luck with your search!

·
150k Club
3,955 Posts
Colin hit it right there Jose, the Mini Van is to me the best family vehicle cause of the ease of putting in a child seat and all the gear that goes with having kids in general. We have a 05 Caravan and it has been a good van. I have 180k on it with the original alternator on it still. Driving habits are key in having a vehicle that will last. If you drive it normal and do the oil changes, any of these will go a long ways in mileage. To me the Mini Van rules only cause of the room to get in and out and the amount of space you have to store a lot of stuff. Safety wise a lot of new cars have the child seat anchors built into the new cars now a days. I prefer the Dodge Caravan in my opinion since they I believe were the first to come out with one. Good Luck with your search!
You're in a gto club and you drive a minivan? Can't go wrong with a minivan... Another thing I have a bad back so grabbing my kids when they were young hurt turning to my left or right and grabbing them. I'm no where near your size but I had an 04 Monte Carlo and coupes are so much easier on my back because I would hop in the back seat facing them grabbing them to my chest and step out with my back never turning. Monte Carlo is a huge car.

·
NorCal Goat
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks fellas. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I was leaning towards the Subaru XV or Forester, at first, but figured I'd try and save some money and buy slightly used.

You guys are right, though. For a bit more money, I could get new, and a warranty.

Any opinions on Subaru? They seem to last forever, and are rarely on the used market. I'm also digging the CX-5's ~35mpg. Def going to check both out.

·
You talk about vengeance...
6,779 Posts
Keep an eye on dealer sales... i.e., I helped my boss' son pick up a 2013 Mustang (V6 auto) for $18,000...had 4 miles on the clock... used 2012's (all previous rentals, basically) with 31k were going for more than that.

·
You talk about vengeance...
6,779 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts