LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Professional Type 1 Diabetic
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have PM'ed and emailed at least 5 vendors here asking some questions about Pedders suspension parts and so far I have heard back from ZERO after 3-5 days of waiting. I cannot make a long distance call from work.
I know my question is simple to some so maybe a member here can answer it. After searching and reading it seems that I might like the Pedders 2151 springs (3/8" drop) but in some posts I read, it was suggested to get new struts to go along with these.
But no one ever said what struts. What struts do I need? Brand, model number...I don't know what I need.
If I were to choose the 2275 springs would I need different struts?
I have full stock front end setup with 245x45x17. I want to get rid of the gap I have here in front:

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
The trouble with drop springs isn't the aftermarket parts. The problem is how fast, how far, and differently each of the OE springs will settle. So for a vendor to say "this spring will drop your car xxx inches," they need to know from where you are starting.

The next problem is your car is not parked on a level surface in the pitcure above. As pictured it looks liek your rear springs have settled more than the fronts, and having the back end parked lower than the front is exagerating that effect.

I think I can guess your ride heights as pictured within 5mm or so, but you would be _crazy_ to order springs based on my guess. So get the thing parked flat, and measure your ride heights at all four corners. feel free to use inches, but we need precision to the nearest 1/16".

In the Pedder's line, the Comfort Gas shocks are suggested only with OE and OE height springs, the 2142 and 7643 springs. For all other Pedder's springs the GSR and big bores are the suggested shocks and struts. I am sure there are other shocks and struts out there that can work within the critical damping scale for the springs, but I don't know what they are.

The other variable that needs to be addressed is your front strut top bushings. Mike White found a blown/worn strut top bushing on a car with 400 miles showing. When 1stGOAT replaced his at around 14,000 miles the bushings alone raised the nose of his car about 1/4". If you are going to go cheap and leave the OE front strut top bushes in, nobody can predict what your finished ride heights are going to be.

My SWAG is your rear springs have settled significantly. Right now you probably have even more bias to the rear than you started with when the car was new, putting more stiffness in the front springs may fix the appearance but it will change the front/rear bias even more. Sooner or later that suspension will be analagous to driving a Segway scooter while pushing a stiffly suspended two wheeled trailer.

I understand this was phrased as an appearance question, but sooner or later the overall stiffness of your front axle will be different enough from the overall stiffness of the rear axle to notice, and when it gets that bad you are not going to like it.

M2c,
S

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
MacDogg,

I am sorry our guys dropped the ball on your email. Frank has sent you a PM. Are you getting the information and attention you deserve?

·
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your info, swmm. Yes, that is on an angle, but it is also like that stright. I replaced the pic with another one. You can see the gap up front still and the rear is low with the 275x40x17's on the back.
I'll bust out the messuring stick and see what the gap is. Hopefully the parts you mentioned are available with one of the vendors here...

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
MacDogg said:
Thanks for your info, swmm. Yes, that is on an angle, but it is also like that stright. I replaced the pic with another one. You can see the gap up front still and the rear is low with the 275x40x17's on the back.
I'll bust out the messuring stick and see what the gap is. Hopefully the parts you mentioned are available with one of the vendors here...
I have ALL the PEDDERS PARTS YOU WILL NEED....Frank:)

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
MacDogg said:
I'll bust out the messuring stick and see what the gap is.
Skip the stick. Measure rim to guard with a METRIC tape measure with your car on a level surface, wheels straight an nothing in the car but a 1/4 tank of fuel. Hook the tape at the bottom of the wheel lip. Measure up through the center of the wheel to the painted fender lip. Your vehicle should be about 604mm at all four wheels. The OE rear coils droop much faster than the fronts. I have seen them down to 580mm in as little as three months -- which is exceptionally fast and not the norm.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
JusticePete said:
Skip the stick. Measure rim to guard with a METRIC tape measure with your car on a level surface, wheels straight an nothing in the car but a 1/4 tank of fuel. Hook the tape at the bottom of the wheel lip. Measure up through the center of the wheel to the painted fender lip.
No disagreement, BUT. Even with worn out springs, if you measure with 3/8 tank of gas and convert Imperial from the nearest 1/16" to metric (39.96 inches = one meter), you will be within one or two mm of the textbook ride height measured in metric at 1/4 tank.

Getting up towards half a tank of gas the spring rate(s) become a more important variable, that data isn't transferable car to car IMO.

·
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My First GTO said:
He sent it at 7:43 pm..:confused:
Yeah, I only saw his posts last night when searching. I did email/pm/fill out a form for other vendors and sites (a few on the left) and have not heard back from them. that's when I searched again for others last night and then made this post today.
I'm amazed at the response from a post instead of replies from emails and PM's to others.

·
Fake bacon lover
11,456 Posts
Good points on just doing the fronts swmn. Don't really remember many people dropping the front without doing something to the back, wonder how that does affect the handling, short & long term.

Yes, as with most, my car was lower in the rear than the front. I put on the Pedders 7643 rear sping (along with a lot of other stuff in the rear) and it looks perfect now with the rear just slightly raised from front. Oh, if you do drop the front remember your hearder to speed bump clearance or lack there of.

FWIW, go with Frank here. I know I'll be buying more stuff from him in the future :)

·
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
with 1/2 tank of gas, the front was like so (best I could get).
This is from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender (A):
drivers side: 37mm
pass side: 35mm
Now from the bottom of the rim to the fender lip is (F):
drivers side: ~600mm
pass side: ~597mm

Attachments

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
MacDogg said:
with 1/2 tank of gas, the front was like so (best I could get).
This is from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender (A):
drivers side: 37mm
pass side: 35mm
Now from the bottom of the rim to the fender lip is (F):
drivers side: ~600mm
pass side: ~597mm

Thank you for getting out of your chair... I swear some people in this section want us to come over and measure for them.

So your front ride height is currently 597 and 600 mm. Great, that isn't going to change much when you drop 1/4 tank of gas, but re-check all four when you get there.

I am not going to guess at your rear hieght from a couple pictures. After you have burned a quarter tank and are parked level, pop the trunk and hood. Jounce the front end of the car three times by the sheet metal over the radiator, then jounce the rear suspension three times.

Then measure all four corners and post up. If you really want to know where you are do not skip the jouncing step, and jounce the front end first.

Nice wax job BTW, and thanks again for getting out of your chair...

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
JusticePete said:
And what is the rear? I looks really low but that can be perspective.
I thought he said he had half a tank of gas?

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
Sorry for the threadjack, is that a Chevelle I see parked behind thee?

·
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am not interested in working on the rear because it is already low. With the 275x40 (245x45 was stock) tires on there it appears way lower compared to the front, that is the reason I want to lower the front, to even it out some.
I'll go for the weekend without filling up and get it with 1/4 left and measure all four wheels if that is what is needed to let you guys help me out.
Thanks again. Glad you guys are letting me know what to do to get what I want! :)
GM: here is a shot of what was behind me:

Attachments

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
MacDogg said:
I am not interested in working on the rear because it is already low.
No worries.

MacDogg said:
I'll go for the weekend without filling up and get it with 1/4 left and measure all four wheels if that is what is needed to let you guys help me out.
You may be perfectly happy with just lowering springs on the front. That is your decision.

The short version is the more info I give my Pedder's dealer up front, the more options I have to choose from.

Long version:

I am not affiliated with Pedders. In my experience as a customer, a top notch Pedder's dealer (and they have all been top notch in my experience) is going to be able to look at all four of your ride heights and say (for instance):

"OK, your current rake is ___, we can use part number this to lower your front this much, or part number that to lower your front that much. "

"But, if you go with this front spring, and decide you want to put the suspension back in better balance later, the two closest rear springs we have these and those, but then your rake is going to be this ugly number. OTOH if you go with that front spring now, the closest two rear springs we have in the catalogue are these'ins and those'uns, and in that situtation the rake on your car is going to be either of these pleasant numbers y and z.

I guess what I am saying is keep an eye on the whole car so you stay happy with the whole car.

Scott

1 - 20 of 26 Posts