LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
donde esta la biblioteca
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to raise my suspension. I currently have the pedders coil over set up. I did not install the coil overs, I had them installed while I was away but I did install the bc coil overs on my last gto, so I know how to raise and lower the car.
my question is, does anyone know, by chance, how much 1 complete turn on the adjustment nut will chance the height??? Or how many turns it would take to get 1mm??
I need to raise it 10mm. When I had them installed, I set them set to 130mm which is what I was told the minimum height needs to be. Well since then they have settled and now I’m 10mm too low.
I’m not looking for “smart a$$” answers, just if anyone happened to know so that I’m not constantly liftin and lowering the car on the jack.
if not, I was thinking of just raising the front and then raising the rear. I thought I saw somewhere about doing the left and then the right. Is this necessary?? Seems like it would be easier front and then rear.

·
Administrator
8,004 Posts
Best way I’ve found is to use a caliper to dial in how much you want to raise/lower.

Raise - Back the locking ring off, then turn the strut till you get the correct measurement with the caliper, then screw the locking ring down and secure.

Lower - Back the locking ring off the amount that your calipers are set at, then turn the strut till it touches the locking ring and secure.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,040 Posts
Tape measure and caliper. Since the rears aren't linear like the fronts, measure then adjust check adjust check seems to be the only method.

·
rpmhardingjr325
1 Posts
I have coil overs on my 2009 G8 GT. I would do as SkiPopeye36 shows. Get a digital caliper and take a reading from the top of the coil over to top ring and not e the distance. Then make that distance 10mm or whatever you decide for the height. You may need to do this more than once to get then height you want.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think it is 2 mm per turn. Front and rear.

As far as I remember it's like this:
Front strut tread pitch is 2 mm. Wheel ratio is very close to 1:1. 2 x 1 = 2, so one turn moves the wheel up or down by 2 mm.
Rear adjuster tread pitch is 1.25 mm. Wheel ratio is 1.6. 1.25 x 1.6 = 2, so one turn moves the wheel up or down by 2 mm.

Maybe not 100% exact, but it should be super close. Maybe you could report back and let us know if it worked out per this math. Be sure to drive around few blocks before re-measuring to allow the car to settle.

Don't forget to unbolt the remote canisters before adjusting height if you have Pedders Supercars. Or it will break the line.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the input guys. so a good little bit has happened since I posted this. apparently the car is tooo low lol, I was going up a ram at work the other day.....ripped my cutouts off the car....dang. so now I have new intermediate pipes that im gonna install (ill put the cut outs back in eventually when I decide to fix them).

so now it it definitely time to raise it. right now im roughly 320mm (323, 325,) on all four corners, measured from the center of the hub to the fender. I was thinking of raising it to 330, which is where I think I had the last gto set at. I don't think the rear shocks and springs may be preset right and that might be my problem with bottoming out. according to the Pedders video I need to put the springs, jounce the car measure and adjust, then install the shocks about 10mm shorter than what I need to properly preload the springs, does this make sense??

then I need to get new rear tires anyways so ill get an alignment once everything is done. the rear wheels are wearing down on the inside.

I don't have the remote canisters so that really not much of a worry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think you'll be good at 330. I am at 325 front and 328 rear, pushing the limits of rubbing with 285/30/18 re71r. These are 9 mm smaller diameter compared to stock 245/45/17, so that helps some. As far as exhaust ground clearance, better be careful driving over bumps and ramps with the car that low :(
You are correct on setting up the rear shocks procedure. The only thing, I found out that driving the car for couple minutes sets the springs pretty good. Jouncing doesn't really work good enough.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I just got the car raised and aligned but they still cant get the rear in spec.. its just out at -1.9(driver) -1.7 (passenger). I don't have the adjustment kit yet from duckman, and im not 100% sure what the measurements as far as height goes but it look like its about 3.75" taller, my garage has be packed with Christmas stuff, once I can get to some flat ground ill measure it.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also while im thinking of it, there's a load "clunk" coming from the front end on hard U-turns. I thought it might have been from before when I was too low, well not that I raised it I heard it today. I was thinking it might be from the end-links but wanted to see what y'all think

1 - 9 of 9 Posts