LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the GTO isn't really suitable.

Decided on this.....

It's no GTO but it's fairly fun....only put 120 miles on it so haven't tried any spirited driving as yet.

·
Administrator
9,516 Posts
Lol mine's almost 7 years old and I'm not using it as a beater yet. I did that with my '02 and it was gradually absorbed by Mother Nature.
Even if you're not planning to mod it I'd suggest an Accessport with a Stage 1 tune. Huge improvement in how the car drives with no physical mods.
Enjoy it, yeah it's no GTO but it's something else. .

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even if you're not planning to mod it I'd suggest an Accessport with a Stage 1 tune. Huge improvement in how the car drives with no physical mods.
8 Year/80K Extended Warranty. No mods other than Cobb shifter package coming. Everything I read points that SOA would know if I alter the ECU. I would like to get rid of the annoying surge when I shift into 2d though.....halfway thru releasing the clutch it surges/pulls like a raped ape.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reactions: Reaperhwk

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: Glynn

·
Administrator
9,516 Posts
8 Year/80K Extended Warranty. No mods other than Cobb shifter package coming. Everything I read points that SOA would know if I alter the ECU. I would like to get rid of the annoying surge when I shift into 2d though.....halfway thru releasing the clutch it surges/pulls like a raped ape.
The only way to fix the jumpy throttle mapping and uneven power delivery is with a tune. A tune isn't automatic loss of warranty but it depends on the dealer, what the actual failure is, and so on.
Mine's been on Stage 1 for several years now and it's been good, now out of warranty anyway.
I'll be interested in your impressions of the shift plate. I had the Kartboy in mine for a while but I recently took it out and went back to stock (well almost stock, still have a bushing and shift stop) and I'm happy with the way it is now. The shifter in my '02 was way better once I got it set up but there's only so much you can do with a cable shifter.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will be awhile until I get the opportunity to install it but will let you know how it works out. TBH the stock shifter isn't bad at all IMO. But I figured for 230 bux if I don't like it I can take it out.

·
Administrator
9,516 Posts
True but it is a pain to install/uninstall especially if you don't have a lift.

·
Is that FWD?
1,176 Posts
This is my winter beater. 392 SRT Durango, AWD, snow/track/street/sport,eco modes, towing package, paddles shifters work perfectly etc.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
[Indicating]
2,511 Posts
Here is my "beater". 2020 Explorer ST. Running right now fairly stock but with a 5 Star tune on it (their tune with warranty is a great bit of fun plus safety for the wallet).

Adding a Whipple IC and SPD downpipes in the spring/summer.

Picked her up in December (this is late December when I first washed her - GTO in the back under the cover):

Reactions: gto57

·
Registered
164 Posts
2000 Nissan Xterra with 4wd and 250k+ miles is my beater, it literally is beat. Best 5 hundo I have ever spent.

·
Worthless reject member
45,506 Posts
Here is my "beater". 2020 Explorer ST. Running right now fairly stock but with a 5 Star tune on it (their tune with warranty is a great bit of fun plus safety for the wallet).

Adding a Whipple IC and SPD downpipes in the spring/summer.

Picked her up in December (this is late December when I first washed her - GTO in the back under the cover):

View attachment 507264
how quick are those?

·
[Indicating]
2,511 Posts
how quick are those?
In stock form they are gimped but still run about 13.8 or so. With the 5 Star Tune, it should be putting down around 365 HP to the wheels and around 500 tq to the wheels. So it'll probably run 12s with just the tune.

There are guys well into the 11s with simple bolt-ons (Whipple IC, downpipes) and a more aggressive tune (along with running E50 or E85).

I went with 5 Star due to the ability to buy the 5 year powertrain warranty, though. They'll re-tune the Exploder for free if I go through them for my bolt-on purchases, too.

·
Worthless reject member
45,506 Posts
In stock form they are gimped but still run about 13.8 or so. With the 5 Star Tune, it should be putting down around 365 HP to the wheels and around 500 tq to the wheels. So it'll probably run 12s with just the tune.

There are guys well into the 11s with simple bolt-ons (Whipple IC, downpipes) and a more aggressive tune (along with running E50 or E85).

I went with 5 Star due to the ability to buy the 5 year powertrain warranty, though. They'll re-tune the Exploder for free if I go through them for my bolt-on purchases, too.
hmmn.

·
[Indicating]
2,511 Posts
Its a nice package of performance and gas mileage. I pull in around 25 MPG on highway with the adaptive cruise on.

The tech is pretty awesome. Has the crazy lane centering tech which is almost like it driving itself. With the tech package, it has massage seats (heated and vented seats and heated wheel are standard).

Ford was offering killer deals on leftover 2020s. I picked it up with around $12,000 off of sticker, 0% financing for 72 months, and a 90-day payment deferment.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts