LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had some time to go out to one of my favorite clear patches of road and get some new acceleration numbers on the BlueFlyingGoat with my trusty G-Tech Pro. Beautiful day, about 70F, no wind to speak of, flat to slightly uphill, fresh asphalt.

G-Tech armed, t/c off, revs to 2750, clutch out, engine bogs, throttle to WOT, minimal wheelspin and we are OUTTA HERE!:burnout:

First is over in 2.345s, grab 2nd. Little chirp, backpedal a bit on the throttle, nothing serious, back to WOT.

2nd is over by 5.047s, grab 3rd. Hmm...something didn't quite hook up as usual but it ended quick, pulling hard, grab 4th for the home stretch,

4th is engaged at 7.878s and then it happens. Pulling hard, then suddenly the RPMs go up and there's a distinct drop in forward progress.:eek2: Oh crap, I know what that is...so loooong Mr. GoodClutch! :rant:

Back off the throttle and finish the run at 13.351 @ 110.34 MPH, clutch still slipping. Depress the pedal and we get....bupkis. Can't select any forward gear at all. I HATE braking things - especially when there was a sub-13 run going!:soapbox:

Let it coast back down, cool off, and a few moments later I get clutch control back. Ok, fine - I'll take this as the big hint and go wash it, take it for a quick spin to dry it off and go home.

Drive back to town, wash it up and as I'm waiting to turn onto a local bypass (IL Route 6 from Allen Road) there's this little red Mazda zipping it's engine in front of me. Aw come on man, I'm NOT in the mood....

...but apparently he is. Seems kinda weird that it has a dealer plate on it, maybe an "aggressive" test drive? Well from the goat perspective they all taste the same, sooooo....select 3rd, hard 180 turn onto the route, gun it....the Mazda is losing a little ground....snatch, shift, 4th, WOT....goood by little Mazda, it was nice playing with you but I've got to be....

....and there go the revs again! :The_Villa This time I'm most of the way around the guy and the clutch decides it's time for the foolin' around to end. Punch the pedal to the floor and coast past the Mazda....to discover that that little red thing was a Mazdaspeed 3! Fortunately my closing rate was more than enough to complete the pass with room to spare, and he seems to want no more of the GTO's abuse.

Coast off the exit heading back home for me, to the dealership for him. Seems he wants to hang waaaay back, far enough back we won't both wind up at a light together. That's OK by me, I don't think I have enough clutch left for another run. I guess he'll never know how close he came to taking down a wounded goat!

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
LOL great storytelling!! When you said "taking down a wounded goat" I had a flashback to one of those BBC nature programs Id watch when I was home from school sick as a kid.

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, kinda me too...I think it really messed with his head as the BFG coasted past him, making no perceptible engine noise. He'll probably be scratching his head for a while on that one!

·
Registered
506 Posts
BlueFlyingGoat said:
Yeah, kinda me too...I think it really messed with his head as the BFG coasted past him, making no perceptible engine noise. He'll probably be scratching his head for a while on that one!
lmao thats great

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I might have gotten lucky.....

As you'll see over in the technical post related to this story, it seems the clutch fluid was way contaminated. Here's hoping it wasn't the clutch, it was the fluid!

Either way that Mazdaspeed 3 still got owned...lol. I saw in this months C&D that it should have been a decent race...at least against a wounded goat!:shiner:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts