·
Registered
250 Posts
Looks cool. What about filters?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
gtodriver7 said:
would that thing pass emissions in the US?
Absolutely. Since there are no longer an EGR provision being fed into the intake, there are no emissions related provisions mechanically.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I think it is ugly. Sorry, had to be said..

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It may be, but sometimes beauty can be found in the theory of "Form Follows Function"

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
True. But unless I am trying to run 8 seconds, naturaly asp, I don't see a need for that function. Plus a lot of the intake manifolds are tuned to utilize the pulse of the air flow to increase the flow into the cylinders. This would not do it.

It looks cartoonish to me and not very pratical for 98% of the people who would use it.

I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. But I still think it is ugly on more than a visual aspect. Kind of reminds me of the "Turbo" badges they sell at pep-boys. Stick'm on, your car will go faster..

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Trust me...

Trust me. It works. There was even a version of the old Hilborn analog injection angled like it for hood clearance. Most were vertical, looking like a pipe organ sticking through the hood except all the tubes were one length. The problem? They made the torque curve very 'peaky'. No plenum, each cylinder is on it's own. The length is tuned to get the pulse in when and where you want it in the RPM curve, much as headers or zoomies are tuned to get the pulse out and scavenge the next one. With the advent of Big Blocks and their meaty crankshafts, the intake tube length was even varied to bring each cylinder onto peak torque at different RPM, re-flattening the curve. My 468 Big Block with the staggered length Kinsler massaged Crower/McKay injection pulled like nothing I have driven since. The real problem was filtration....GIANT pain in the rear!

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Ok, I have been edjucated. But I still think it is ugly :)

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
No question

sxty8goats said:
Ok, I have been edjucated. But I still think it is ugly :)
From an aesthetic standpoint...perhaps. From a form and function standpoint, never... :D I will admit, my numerous attempts to make reasonable filtration, from individuals for each tube to airbox styles under a snorkel were not just ugly, but fugly... :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts