LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cliff notes:

Best run: 1.759 sixty, 7.831 @ 89.67 1/8th, 12.216 @ 112.90 1/4.

Alabama International Dragway, altitude around 600ft, temps in the 40's, humidity 75%+.
----------

How could I pass up a cold front moving through and temps dropping into the 40's? A voice in my head kept telling me, "Padre, the track is calling you..." :sneaky: OK, so it was my own voice :rolleyes: , but I figured I had to listen to it. :)

Got in 9 runs. 4 of them were in the 12.20's. 7 of them I trapped over 112. Only managed 3 1.7 sixties.

But my ugliest run of the night was against a Cobra who had been running 12.70's. A local f-body expert advised me to do my burnout in 1st, then stage, and DON'T FORGET TO PUT IT IN "3". Which, naturally, I promptly forgot. Good thing for speed limiters. At least I trapped over 100 and beat the Cobra, who also managed his worst run of the night missing a couple of shifts. :rolleyes:

A fun night. Videos up later - I'll take the best in-car vid and also include the Cobra kill, which just might be the ugliest of all my videos. :)

Padre

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
nice going Padre!

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
So the fbody guy told you to make your run in Low 3? That be the case I must have been correct a few months ago. GM automatic transmissions when put in L2 start in 1st. then go to 2nd. I'm assuming when in 3rd. it will start in 1st -2nd-3rd.

Low 1 is differnt then drive 1, Clutch and band hold the rear planetary gearset. And possibly the torque converter clutch won't lock up low gears.

Nice runs Padre.

PS I will paypal you for the shipping this weekend. thanks again.

·
"YELOJKT"
784 Posts
Good job Padre! Your car should be running 11's in no time.

·
Registered
367 Posts
GMH GTO said:
So the fbody guy told you to make your run in Low 3? That be the case I must have been correct a few months ago. GM automatic transmissions when put in L2 start in 1st. then go to 2nd. I'm assuming when in 3rd. it will start in 1st -2nd-3rd.

Low 1 is differnt then drive 1, Clutch and band hold the rear planetary gearset. And possibly the torque converter clutch won't lock up low gears.

Nice runs Padre.

PS I will paypal you for the shipping this weekend. thanks again.
First, nice job Padre, hope you can make the SSHS4 so I can see that thing in action.

Second, I do believe the GTO has 2nd gear start when the lever is put into 2nd from the start.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GMH GTO said:
I'm assuming when in 3rd. it will start in 1st -2nd-3rd.
Exactly. It works best that way and you don't hit the rev-limiter like I did :banghead: if you try to manually shift. Dark reports that he gained a half-second on 0-60 by starting in "3" and not "D".

Padre

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Cliff notes:

Best run: 1.759 sixty, 7.831 @ 89.67 1/8th, 12.216 @ 112.90 1/4.

Alabama International Dragway, altitude around 600ft, temps in the 40's, humidity 75%+.
----------

How could I pass up a cold front moving through and temps dropping into the 40's? A voice in my head kept telling me, "Padre, the track is calling you..." :sneaky: OK, so it was my own voice :rolleyes: , but I figured I had to listen to it. :)

Got in 9 runs. 4 of them were in the 12.20's. 7 of them I trapped over 112. Only managed 3 1.7 sixties.

But my ugliest run of the night was against a Cobra who had been running 12.70's. A local f-body expert advised me to do my burnout in 1st, then stage, and DON'T FORGET TO PUT IT IN "3". Which, naturally, I promptly forgot. Good thing for speed limiters. At least I trapped over 100 and beat the Cobra, who also managed his worst run of the night missing a couple of shifts. :rolleyes:

A fun night. Videos up later - I'll take the best in-car vid and also include the Cobra kill, which just might be the ugliest of all my videos. :)

Padre

Great runs Padre! This cold front is really nice!!! So far you still have the fastest E.T.s of the "normal daily driver GTOs" but Doug is knocking on your door. Phase II is in order :secret:

Doc

P.S. See you in a week at SDR!

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
nice runs Padre

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
Nice runs Padre, I hope you get that 11-second slip soon :cool:

GMH GTO said:
C5s have a second-gear start function. If you place the selector in L2, it is locked in that gear. Great for driving in the snow on drag radials:D I'm not sure if there are differences in the valve body on a Vette trans, or if it's a programming issue. Doesn't matter too much anymore since I brought my GTO home tonight and only have to worry about working on other people's C5s now :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts