LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im on the way home, got my ew 245/40/18 KDW N/Ts put on. No rub in the front, no rub at all until I get into it a bit. When the rear squats, the right rear rubs. Just the right though. I am running 18x8 TSW thruxtons with a 40MM offset. Why would only the right rear rub?

lease tell me I dont have to roll my freakin fenders just run just a 245! Could this be a cradle out of line? It only happens when I get on the throttle, but I dont have to get on it super hard for it to rub. Rub is on the outside of the RR tire.

The car also has urethane rear cradle bushings, so the weak sock ones arent a problem

Any ideas?

·
Dismembered
4,339 Posts
Get yourself a set of King springs and no more problem!! You moved the tires out 8mm from the stock setup so cradle alignment becomes a serious factor. I'm not sure what the springs run anymore but it's cheap enough and a DIY project that doesn't take more than an hour at the most.

I'm running 275 Mickey Thompson DR's on the stock wheels and have NO PROBLEM with rubbing with my King springs.....

·
Good-bye GTO...HELLO CORVETTE
515 Posts
Borsig said:
So Im on the way home, got my ew 245/40/18 KDW N/Ts put on. No rub in the front, no rub at all until I get into it a bit. When the rear squats, the right rear rubs. Just the right though. I am running 18x8 TSW thruxtons with a 40MM offset. Why would only the right rear rub?

lease tell me I dont have to roll my freakin fenders just run just a 245! Could this be a cradle out of line? It only happens when I get on the throttle, but I dont have to get on it super hard for it to rub. Rub is on the outside of the RR tire.

The car also has urethane rear cradle bushings, so the weak sock ones arent a problem

Any ideas?
Yup, welcome to the club. I had to roll my fenders to get 245 tires to fit with my TSW Vortex rims, +40 offset - and I am running Nitto's, didn't dare run BFG's since they are known to run LARGE.

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with the right being the only thing rubbing is that cradle or?

·
Spicey's Back In Town!
5,511 Posts
I strongly suggest you have the cradle realigned by someone that knows what they are doing and you will probably end up with no issues and/or replacing springs. JMO. Hopefully your dealer has the alignment tool and a tech that knows how to use it.

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
supposedly they do. We will find out monday I guess. the thing with springs is, I dont ant a drag setup. I want a setup for handling, not straight lines. Drag springs would screw up what I am trying to do

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
reason I got 245/40's is becauseeveryon was runing them with no issues.

·
Good-bye GTO...HELLO CORVETTE
515 Posts
Borsig said:
reason I got 245/40's is becauseeveryon was runing them with no issues.
except me, LOL. Ya know I brought my car to dealer for rear cradle alignment when my tires rubbed, even put the stock ones back on and told them my drivers side was rubbing - showed them the paint loss. Told them to align rear cradle - all I got was a dumb ass look and a 4 tire alignment. I still need to get mine done someday so I can run bigger tires since fenders are now partially rolled - just do not know where to bring. Worst part about all this is I brought the car in with only 5k on it, now I have 8k. I am sure if I find someone who knows what they are doing they will charge me for it.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Grind the inner fenders down and be done with it.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
What are your ride heights? Our stock rear springs not only settle, they keep settling.

Now the money shot, what were your ride heights on the rear axle 1 year ago?

The odd thing is if you are on stock springs, probably your left rear is lower than your right rear. If this is the case, your rear cradle alignment is suspect.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The reason your having the prolem the stock 18 rims are 35 offset I put the 245/40/18 bfg drag radials on my stock rims laid a strip of rubber using all the tire on the road no more problem.

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have no idea what my ride height is. How do I find out? Ive ony had the car since Jan 31. 13K miles.

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also - I REALY dont want to take a grinder to my car.

·
No mo' GTO.
3,969 Posts
dommorelli said:
The reason your having the prolem the stock 18 rims are 35 offset I put the 245/40/18 bfg drag radials on my stock rims laid a strip of rubber using all the tire on the road no more problem.
No, all stock 8" wide GTO rims have a +48 offset. The problem could be the BFGs themselves. It is widely known that BFg tires are wide for the size listed. I stay away from them for the cost. I've got Fuzion ZRi tires on 8" MSRs with a +42 offset. No rub. Tire brand is most likely the reason others aren't rubbing. Front & rear cradle alignment is recommended just for the car's sake, no matter what wheels & tires are on the car.

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just think its bullshit everyone is running 245/40's Half of them are on 40mm offset 18x8 wheels, yet my shit rubs and no one else seems to have issues.

Seems like every time I turn around theres some more bullshit coming from the direction of that GTO in my driveway. Rear end whine, driveshaft lash thats "normal", leaking rod radius bushings, etc etc etc.

I have a rotten feeling that either a rear cradle alignment isnt going to do anything for the problem, or the dealer will say "its in line". Then Im stucki buying more shit I dont want. Drag bags, drag springs, roling and cutting and more nonsense for committing the ultimate sin of going a whopping 10MM wider on my tires. I dont want a freaking drag suspension. I want street/handling tuned suspension.

Im begenning to hate the car.

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
Every car has it's issues...anytime it comes to modifying the vehicle, there will always be problems along the way. I'm sure not a single person here who has started modding had it go "completely smooth".

I got +45 in the back with 275's and my driver's side rear rubs, but not the passenger side and I've rolled the fenders as much as possible - going to go get that cradle alignment soon to fix it.

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
275s I consider a mod. 245's i dont. Espically when the damn car comes stock with 245

·
No mo' GTO.
3,969 Posts
Borsig said:
I have a rotten feeling that either a rear cradle alignment isnt going to do anything for the problem, or the dealer will say "its in line". Then Im stuck buying more shit I dont want.
I don't trust the dealer either. But, there should be a performance shop with plenty of experience with our cars to do the cradle alignments competantly. Check with other members of the Carolina Herd. They will most likely give a ringing endorsement.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts