LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
straegen said:
Did my first draft of prepping the new car. Check it out and please respond with any additional hints, tips, tricks, etc that you have.

Cam's New Car Prep

Looks good, but I would skip on the Tire Gloss. That crap get all over the side of the car and inside the fender wells. After that, it just collects dirt and more dirt. I've seen cars with 1/4" of crap built up inside the fender wells with dirt and goop.

If you would take some Formula 2001 or something similar, spray it on a rag, and rub into the tire, removing any liquid deposits by rubbing it more, the tires will look nice, new, and solid black without having to have crap go everywhere.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use Turtle Wax Tire Wax....no problem with fly-off. This stuff stays put and lasts a long time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Man!!! Wish I saw this earlier! Nothing too bad though, for me. This should be a sticky in the General Forum or something like that.. it's kinda hidden in the Appearance forum. The dealer has his tag on there, no problem though, I can get that off with some work. The big thing that got me though is I forgot to do a detailed inspection of the paint before driving it off the lot, and there's 2 vertical 3 in scratches on the driver's door that I know was there before I took delivery! Oh well, should have used some common sense, ...

.. but a word to the wise, learn from other's mistakes and you won't have to deal with the same thing!

·
KBAS
221 Posts
I've got a chip from a rock on the autobahn in my side skirt. Besides getting it sanded down and repainted, is there anything I can do to get it "filled in?"

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kn7671 said:
Looks good, but I would skip on the Tire Gloss. That crap get all over the side of the car and inside the fender wells. After that, it just collects dirt and more dirt. I've seen cars with 1/4" of crap built up inside the fender wells with dirt and goop.
The Zaino Brothers stuff isn't goop. It is actually a cleaner that leaves a light glaze on the tires and rubber trim parts. It ins't like baby oil or wax. There ins't anything to fly off or to stick to. It does not look as bright and shiney as other stuff, but it is a cleaner/protector that leaves rubber materials looking new rather than waxed. You would need to look elsewhere for true tire gloss.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DiSTuRBeDGTO said:
I've got a chip from a rock on the autobahn in my side skirt. Besides getting it sanded down and repainted, is there anything I can do to get it "filled in?"
Depends on how bad the gash is. In some instances, you can buff it out. You can also get what is called an automotive paint pen that is really liquid paint and just ink in the area. However, I would go into a body shop and have them sand and fill if it were noticable from any real distance. Probably cost you like 50 or 100 bucks, but if the gash is noticable small price to pay to fix it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've had great luck with the Zaino tire treatment. It makes the tires really black with just a little shine. I don't like the tires looking like they were dipped in vegetable oil. It gets all over the paint.

Does GM produce touch-up paint for our cars yet? I've noticed a couple chips already and want to take care of them. I have the Phantom Black.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yes, I have a bottle at home thanks to 04redGTO. He originally was gonna get a blue one so he got the touch up paint. Now since he's got a red one, blue is useless, so he gave it to me.

Anyway, I'll get the part# tonight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts