LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my other post about my problems im havin with the grinding I've decided to inquire about new parts to make it better since nobody will fix it. What do you recommend? The one person said something about a new shifter? What kind is the best or what kind should i buy. I read somewhere else that an upgraded clutch would make it a lot easier to shift? What kind is the best or what kind should i buy? Anything else that would make my manual car more enjoyable feel free to comment.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Hurst is working on a new shifter. They've got to build it from scratch, as the original is so wierd. It's not happening fast enough to suit anyone, but it will happen. I'll post as soon as I hear something. I'd swap shifters before writing off the clutch. CMNT got a stage 3 racing clutch, but hi-po clutches tend not to be as forgiving as the mushy factory clutches.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Shifters

mistermike said:
Hurst is working on a new shifter. They've got to build it from scratch, as the original is so wierd. It's not happening fast enough to suit anyone, but it will happen. I'll post as soon as I hear something. I'd swap shifters before writing off the clutch. CMNT got a stage 3 racing clutch, but hi-po clutches tend not to be as forgiving as the mushy factory clutches.
Mike, do you know if they might also have a replacement in the works for the auto shifter?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Old Goat said:
Mike, do you know if they might also have a replacement in the works for the auto shifter?
Nothing they've told me about, but it never came up in the discussions. I'll ask next time I talk to them.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I have a SPEC Stage 3 clutch in mine. There are two more levels above that from SPEC. Those are not recommended for street use though. They have some serious clamping force on the pressure plate and require stronger hydraulics to work them.

I also have the same clutch in my Camaro (although it has a "hockey puck" style clutch disc and not the "Star" like the new SPEC's have. But either way, both have held with the power levels each car has and the Camaro has about 8,000 miles on it and about 100 launches at the drag strip with it.

As a comparison to the factory unit, pedal effort is slightly higher, this is due mostly in part to the higher spring rates (for stronger clamping force) on the pressure plate. Otherwise, engagement is virtually identical to stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts