LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Well i found out how much the dealership wants to install the new clutch for. they want 510 dollars for labor plus parts. so we are approaching 1k. That is alot of money. I think they wont replace it since it burnt it once on accident. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go to get a resonable price to install the clutch in northern nj. I don't need it right away. It isnt that bad at all, I just can't chirp the tires anymore.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Why won't they do it under warranty? I'd be *****ing up a storm.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
mistermike said:
Why won't they do it under warranty? I'd be *****ing up a storm.

this new profanity blocker makes posts so ambiguous :p

what are you gonna be doing in a storm? ;)

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Rhymes with rich. That's a pretty agressive setting for the blocker. That's a word that is used regularly on the public airwaves with no flack from the FCC. My pregnant dog's a *****. Just testing ;)

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I mean some damage was caused by the bad tranny and I burnt it once or so myself. They said they would cover it as long as it doesn't look like it was burnt and the metal was all blue. I don't know cause i burnt it once enough to make it smoke :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
If you're gonna spend that much, spend it on a SPEC.

Don't waste your time and money on a stocker unless it's free. :)

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They wont install anything but the OEM one. Whats involved in pulling the tranny out of this one incase i decide to bring it to garage.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Right, take it somewhere else that in the end will cost about the same as the dealer replacing it with another weak factory unit.

If you wish to tackle it yourself;
-Remove shifter
-Remove Driveshafts
-Remove cross member (support trans with a jack)
-Unbolt trans from bellhousing, unbolt and slide throwout bearing off transmission input shaft.
-Unbolt bellhousing from engine. (It works better spacewise to remove the trans first).
-Remove clutch.

I don't have the torque specs here, but from memory I think the flywheel specs were something like 74lbs/ft. Also, if you replace the throwout bearing, you will need a special tool to release the quick disconnect on the hydraulic line to it. I would also recommend (if you have the means) to go get the whole clutch assembly (flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate) balanced.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Oh, forgot to add this and I've learned it the hard way. Put on of those end caps into the tailstock of the transmission to help contain it's fluids. :) OTherwise, if it tips back expect to take a DexronIII shower on your garage floor. :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
LiqTenExp said:
They wont install anything but the OEM one. Whats involved in pulling the tranny out of this one incase i decide to bring it to garage.
Typical dealers, just find a good speed shop that can install the Spec 3 for you. Changing a clutch is not that hard so the labor costs should not be too much.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am having a problem finding one around me. I live in northern NJ. Plus how many places have had a GTO in their shop and know even how to get the shifter off with out scratching stuff trying to figure it out.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone have any suggetsions as where to go?

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SLP doesn't do installs anymore accourding to their website.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
There has gotta be a clutch/transmission shop somewhere in NJ!

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would think so but I can't find anyone. Speak up guys if you know. I am thinking of going up to MA to goto Tbyrne. I still want to find someone closer but if I can't in a couple days I will have to talk to them.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Sorry, I lived in Joisey when I was a kid, but don't know anyone other than SLP now.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well at lunch time i was able to get it to break loose the rears going into second without much trouble. It just has problems under hot conditions. Should I go for a semi synth fluid like you have? For now I think I will leave it as is and save up for a new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing. That way I get it done right.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yes. These clutches do not like heat. You figure you can only "hotlap" the car 2 or 3 times at the track before needing to let the clutch and hydraulics cool.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts