LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry to ask this question, but have never had luck with the search option so hear it goes. How long should it take for a dealer to get either a new diff or gears for the gto? I was driving today and the rear end decided it didn't want to stay on the car any longer nor in one piece. As far as I could tell the housing looked o.k. along with the diff cover, but other than that the front of the diff was leaking out all of its fluid. Any positive comments would be much appreciated. The fun part is going to be waiting to see if the stealership is going to try to blame the headers, midpipes, and intake for the diff failure. I know that would be a dumb reason for them to state, but usually their stupidity ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
find the TSB on the rear end, which has an exchange program with DANA. Dana will swap out the hole thing (well send them a brand new unit), at least that is my understanding. Have you complained about a noisy rear end to them before? I took that step to cover my behind, I'm on reccord with my dealer and they agreed that something isn't right (I have 900 miles). If you have done so, it should be easier for you.
Best of luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best part is I was going to say something about a sound in the rear when I was going to the dealer tomorrow to replace a couple pieces of rubber trim. I did get a kick out of watching the guys at the stealership try to push the car even though I told them the diff was locked up.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer told me that the pinion gear broke in half and they will be replacing the entire rear end. They told me that the parts should be in on wednesday, but I don't really count on it.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
socal gto said:
The dealer told me that the pinion gear broke in half and they will be replacing the entire rear end. They told me that the parts should be in on wednesday, but I don't really count on it.
:shiner: damn....it sounds like the worst part of our GTOs is the rear end :drink:

·
keep it simple
2,098 Posts
What worries me is Dana wants the old units to find out what the problem is. I want my new one after they know what the problem is and fixed it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have noticed different problems with 04 than 06. Am I missing something, or do the 05's seem to be escaping the issue?

As for the 06, I think the problem is in the hardening process for the pinion gear. If so, the dimensions going into the hardening process should be ok, but if not hardened correctly, will be out of tolerance when "done" (the whine) and too brittle (the snap) at the bearing surface. Now the drive shaft moves forward, but not all the way out and allows fluid to escape. The rear part of the gear drops into the housing binding up the carrier. At inches per second may not create a problem, but at 70MPH???

Too bad we didn't make a mark on the carrier (tag it) and see if it shows up again in some other GOAT.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think when I go to pickup my car I am going to ask to take a piece of the diff as a trophy, because according to the stealership they have never heard of nor seen the pinion snap in half. They told me they even considered not replacing the item under warranty since it should never have happened.

·
Registered
414 Posts
^^ lol at that, it's not the dealer's call anyway, and they would have to prove that YOU had done it by not driving the car like it was supose too...so just that would be interesting to say the least...so what are they saying? you can't drive your car at all or can't go past 1/4 throttle goes the rear is a pos and won't handle it? nice! lol...I swear, some dealers have some gonads...that need to be smacked down with a hammer...
Glad to hear they are fixing it tho...next time they b$tch about it, just say you shoulda bought a Ford counter part...seriously though, it is really to bad that the big 3 are really monkeys about their product...but like most buisnesses in this country, Customer service is optional...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2005 GTO rear end just blew up on Monday. With 34844 miles on the vehicle it is still under warrenty. I took the car to GM on Monday, and yesterday they told me that they were not covering because they said I abused the vehicle, The bolts in the rear end shered off, I feel that is defective parts. The car is under warranty. I heard there is a service bulletin for the rear end.. Who else has heard and does anyone know the details of the service bulletin.

·
Registered
662 Posts
They are NOT going to give you broken parts when it's under warranty. They want to do a Failure Analisys to verify the assembly.
As a kid, I recall several broken rear ends, just not many on the street.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I have never taken it to the track. When it broke I was going up a hill to work, they picked the vehicle up at work. In a 25mph speed zone it is hard to get on the gto when the car moves so quick. The car is suppose to handle day to day driving. I am confused how they said it cannot be covered. I guess they are going to rip off as many people with the new 10 years/100,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
414 Posts
they cant' say they won't cover it, they have to prove it, if not take them to court, for Pete's sake, don't let them do that to you, call GM directly, do what it takes, the dealer does not call the shots, and if they don't want to cover it, a GM engineer needs and should come down to take a look, but the dealer can't pick and chose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi from down under,we have had a major diff problem here in our commodores eg monaro is based on your gto,when you get the diff rebuilt,raise the rear end in the air and put extra oil in the diff this is suppouse to help sort the problem out,not enough oil in the diff GM has stopped using dana diffs

·
Registered
662 Posts
If not Dana, who?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts