LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw these LEDs and after reading up on them I was intrigued. Very intrigued. I’ve tried several different bulbs in my car and haven’t found anything that makes me happy yet. The 55w hids I have in there now are “ok” but nothing impressive. In their defense they are a cheap $35 set, so that probably comes into play. Getting back to the dd sl1 LEDs, they looked quality in their pics and at $149 a set I felt like they should be better than the $80 hikari and other ones I’ve tried. They were out of stock on h11 so I talked my buddy into ordering some for his accord and let me take some pics. Well he kinda had no choice on the pic part because I have his headlights out the car right now and I just finished refinishing them and clear coating them. I figured I’d take some pics to compare those to some hids and let you guys see if they are worth with. I will have more comparison pics in the next few days when mine come in for my gto. I will say that I’m very excited and anxious to get mine in my car. They put out a good amount more than these hids I tested them against. Pics do no justice.

Couple pointers to make so I’m clear about a couple things. These pics are of one housing aimed at my shop by hand. The height is not exactly the same but you will get the point. These are old housings that had fogged up very badly. I was able to save the outside but the inside I didn’t/couldn’t do anything with and there is sill some foggy inside. This is the reason you will see some slightly scattered light with both bulbs.

Here’s the hid.

The sl1 led. The cutoff looks better except the tiny bit that scatted above it. Again, the headlight has some haze on the inside and that’s why that’s there. It’s there on the hid but not as much because the hid isn’t as bright.

Here’s some bulb pics. Very nicely constructed bulbs.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Let me add to this. It’s been said in other threads that leds don’t work well in projector housings and that they have glare etc etc. well I’m not seeing that in my experience on my car. As a matter of fact, my hids have more glare and less of a clean cutoff than my leds. I’m going to post below two pics comparing. One is an led bulb I have and the other is a 55w hid.

Here’s the hid. See the glare

Here’s a hikari led bulb.

·
Chevy tings
1,759 Posts
I run the SL1s in my Colorado projector housings. They are fantastic, and so much better and brighter than stock. The cutoff is clean, and the scatter in equal to stock.

·
Worthless reject member
51,744 Posts
i would like to see some lux measurements vs the stock halogens, a common 35w hid setup, and the h9 upgrade.

but, i am sure this is asking a bit much.

·
Worthless reject member
51,744 Posts
i would also like to see how well the illumination is quite a distance away from the vehicle, a distance down the road. They may be plenty bright close to the vehicle, but from what i understand, most LED retrofit bulbs are.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would like to see some lux measurements vs the stock halogens, a common 35w hid setup, and the h9 upgrade.

I think I can do that for you. However I’m not sure how accurate my lux meter app is but I will do it for you anyways. My lights show to be arriving today. So if I can find a halogen bulb I can do this tonight. I might have to borrow one from work.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I don’t think I can find an h9 bulb, none of the cars we sell take that bulb. (I work in the parts dept of a Honda dealership).

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok got my bulbs in. I had a little time tonight to do some comparisons and driving around. I didn’t have much luck messing the lux at any distance further than a foot or so. So I’ll give you what I found.

Impressions:

First off I have not found an led bulb that would match my 55w hids in distance. I was expecting these leds to fail. Well to be honest I was quite surprised. Not only did they match the distance the hids throw? They are a rich brighter in front of the car, normally a dead area of light for me unless my dogs are on. They do not have any glare or scatter. At all. None. Perfect clean cutoff. I can’t say the same for other leds I’ve tested. So that’s definitely a positive. I used to get flashed all the time with my hikari leds. That stopped when I put hids in and tonight I passed up a lot of vehicles riding around on a dark back road and I never got flashed.

The fans are quieter than other bulbs I’ve tried. Time will tell if I’ll have any issues because I did install the dust caps back, which the resistor pack ticks easily into the headlight housing allowing the cap to fit on with no problems. The bulb fan assembly is low profile so no issues there. I’m still amazed they even matched the output and distance of my 55w hids. That’s pretty impressive.

****i did not test halogen bulbs just yet. I forgot to grab one at work. I may just grab a pair for pics. I will be honest also, my headlight housings are timted and are foggy on the inside so I couldn’t even drive the car with halogens.

Here’s some lux numbers I got. Please keep in mind I’m using a phone for this, not a professional dedicated meter. So please, take the readings accuracy with a grain of salt but note that there was a slight difference in the leds favor. I’m happy with them, I no longer have a wiring mess under my hood and I have instant on light.

Hid lux at 1.5ft. 23239
Hid lux at the headlight 74645
Led lux at 1.5ft 25191
Led lux at the headlight 89388

Post pics tomorrow night. I was in a hurry and only got a good one of the hid but not the led.

·
Send Nudes
4,569 Posts
If you're not properly adjusting the position of the mount, or putting in an HID projector, it's pretty much irrelevant to do a bulb swap for anything other than damaging the projector or saying you have the bulbs. HIDs with the mount in the stock position are useless for anything other than throwing a wide swath of light that is no brighter than stock. Using longer screws and spacers between the mount and the headlight pushes the HID bulb away from the projector and helps focus the beam. Once I did this, I could actually see something with the stock headlights.
LEDs might be different, depending on the position of the diode relative to the position of the filament on the stock halogen bulb, but you still need to experiment with the position.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're not properly adjusting the position of the mount, or putting in an HID projector, it's pretty much irrelevant to do a bulb swap for anything other than damaging the projector or saying you have the bulbs. HIDs with the mount in the stock position are useless for anything other than throwing a wide swath of light that is no brighter than stock. Using longer screws and spacers between the mount and the headlight pushes the HID bulb away from the projector and helps focus the beam. Once I did this, I could actually see something with the stock headlights.
LEDs might be different, depending on the position of the diode relative to the position of the filament on the stock halogen bulb, but you still need to experiment with the position.
I respect your opinion and you are right in a sense. However, I have adjusted this led bulb in and out and at its stock position it throws off the most even light. However, messing with it last night, if I angle the bulb down it gives me an even better hot spot. I may sand the tab down a touch and see how it goes.

Referring to the hid your right on that too, I’ve experienced that but it depends on the bulb and if the salts in the bulbs are in the right place. The bulbs I was using just so happen to throw a nice pattern with that scattered light effect. I do have some in my spare box that give me a horrible pattern, so I can relate.

This post is meant to let you guys know these bulbs are really good and the best I’ve ever tried. Are they the absolute best out there? I don’t know, but every chance I get I like to try something different and these are the best SO FAR. Will I stop testing? No, I’m the kind of person who like to ecplore my options and sometimes I’m never happy. To be fair to these bulbs, my housings are shot and my tint came out too dark so that’s hurting my output. My next project is putting a set of accord touring led modules in a set of housings. I already have the modules, they came out of a set of $2000 headlights lol. I have access to wrecked parts so I can get these pretty often, in my testing last night, these modules put out more light from just one that two headlights from my car. And perfect even light too.

·
Worthless reject member
51,744 Posts
Ok got my bulbs in. I had a little time tonight to do some comparisons and driving around. I didn’t have much luck messing the lux at any distance further than a foot or so. So I’ll give you what I found.

Impressions:

First off I have not found an led bulb that would match my 55w hids in distance. I was expecting these leds to fail. Well to be honest I was quite surprised. Not only did they match the distance the hids throw? They are a rich brighter in front of the car, normally a dead area of light for me unless my dogs are on. They do not have any glare or scatter. At all. None. Perfect clean cutoff. I can’t say the same for other leds I’ve tested. So that’s definitely a positive. I used to get flashed all the time with my hikari leds. That stopped when I put hids in and tonight I passed up a lot of vehicles riding around on a dark back road and I never got flashed.

The fans are quieter than other bulbs I’ve tried. Time will tell if I’ll have any issues because I did install the dust caps back, which the resistor pack ticks easily into the headlight housing allowing the cap to fit on with no problems. The bulb fan assembly is low profile so no issues there. I’m still amazed they even matched the output and distance of my 55w hids. That’s pretty impressive.

****i did not test halogen bulbs just yet. I forgot to grab one at work. I may just grab a pair for pics. I will be honest also, my headlight housings are timted and are foggy on the inside so I couldn’t even drive the car with halogens.

Here’s some lux numbers I got. Please keep in mind I’m using a phone for this, not a professional dedicated meter. So please, take the readings accuracy with a grain of salt but note that there was a slight difference in the leds favor. I’m happy with them, I no longer have a wiring mess under my hood and I have instant on light.

Hid lux at 1.5ft. 23239
Hid lux at the headlight 74645
Led lux at 1.5ft 25191
Led lux at the headlight 89388

Post pics tomorrow night. I was in a hurry and only got a good one of the hid but not the led.
1.5 feet? No offense, but how is that useful when i have to see 350 ft in front of me?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1.5 feet? No offense, but how is that useful when i have to see 350 ft in front of me?
I agree. But I did state that my app wasn’t working correctly (at least I’m pretty sure I did). At 25ft it would not pick up any light output for the hid and the led. I’m using a phone and probably a crap app. The only reason I posted that was just for pure output comparison. That’s all. I wasn’t planning on buying a light meter for this, I was just posting my impressions on a newer choice in led bulbs. :wall::wall:

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I just ordered some new housings. Not factory. Unfortunately they are aftermarket and take h1 bulbs (why) so I’m going to “try” and adapt my factory bulbs to these housings. If it’s possible I’ll make adapter rings but I’m not sure how they look. If I can’t get them to work and I like the new lights, I may have some 55w hids and two sets of led bulbs for sale. I hope I can make them work tho.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
1,003 Posts
They are the best leds ive tested.....
I’m sure these are great bulbs. I would think it interesting to see these vs. sealights that are sold on Amazon that everyone seems to like(myself included and about 2600 5 star reviews). I have them and think they are great, I actually prefer them in the GTO over my 2015 Tahoe that has factory HIDs. Would like to see what you get for an extra $100. I bought them after seeing that they place the LED at the exact same spot as a halogen filament and how thin the board is. The cutoff in my GTO is exactly like halogen. I haven’t seen any other led bulbs that look like they copy the halogen filament as well. Others may locate the LEDs in same area but they are much thicker and block some of the light from tje front.

SEALIGHT H11/H8/H9 LED Bulbs, Laxmas L2 Series bulbs, 360-degree Illumination, 400% Brightness, 12000LM 6000K Daylight Effect, Canbus Error Free, Easy Installation, Pack of 2 Amazon.com

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m sure these are great bulbs. I would think it interesting to see these vs. sealights that are sold on Amazon that everyone seems to like(myself included and about 2600 5 star reviews). I have them and think they are great, I actually prefer them in the GTO over my 2015 Tahoe that has factory HIDs. Would like to see what you get for an extra $100. I bought them after seeing that they place the LED at the exact same spot as a halogen filament and how thin the board is. The cutoff in my GTO is exactly like halogen. I haven’t seen any other led bulbs that look like they copy the halogen filament as well. Others may locate the LEDs in same area but they are much thicker and block some of the light from tje front.

SEALIGHT H11/H8/H9 LED Bulbs, Laxmas L2 Series bulbs, 360-degree Illumination, 400% Brightness, 12000LM 6000K Daylight Effect, Canbus Error Free, Easy Installation, Pack of 2 Amazon.com
Well I had a 2017 silverado with HIDs and they were probably one of the worst headlights i've even owned. I emailed, called, complained numerous times to Chevrolet about how horrible they were in output. I like alot of light on the road, I can't see well at night so it's crucial to me. I traded that truck and got a 2019 which has phenomenal led headlights. The S1 leds arent quite as good as the 55w hids I had in there too....but they were the best led output that I tried. WHo knows, the seacamp leds might be better.

·
Seriously?
2,020 Posts
You guys should try BPS Lighting in Canada. I have their LEDs in my 2014 Impala Ltd. and my GTO. I think they do better in the Impala but that could be the difference between projector housings and regular halogen housings.

The bulbs are less than $100 a pair, have a good warranty and they ship with DHL so the bulbs arrive quickly. I've been happy with them but I still contemplate HIDs in the GTO because my wife's 2016 Acadia Denali HIDs with BPS fog lights is ridiculously awesome at night.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts