LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
51,430 Posts
i installed a set of sealights and a set of new TYC headlamp housings in my truck. i know they are cheap LED bulbs, but i selected them for their profile. they will fit into most spaces where the regular halogen bulb will fit. not a lot of room with the headlamp housing design in the 98+ bravadas and jimmys.

i was worried about glare for other passing drivers and the light pattern, but neither seem to be much of an issue. after aiming them how i wanted, i did a drive by test to see if another driver would experience a lot of glare, but according to them it wasn't bad. i will probably do another test with us switched, and see for myself.

despite this, the cutoff with the reflectors is still comparatively poor with the LED's vs the halogens. you do get more light scattering above the cutoff line than with halogens, which should translate into glare for an oncoming driver. it also throws a TON of light right in front of the vehicle. objects in the distance are still illuminated fairly well, though, although it can be hard to tell that because of the brightness difference between near and far objects. I don't know if the extreme ends of the light pattern are as bright as they are with the halogen bulbs, but i don't see my visibility being hampered by these in city and suburb driving. overall brightness and visibilty is still improved over the halogen lights.

i can say that i still would like a set of LED lights and housings that are actually designed for the vehicle than a set of retrofit bulbs, but that's asking for a lot and these still do the job. the factory halogen headlamps in my truck were horrendous. i was having a very difficult time seeing at night in poor weather, and this was the simplest solution i could find for having better visibility in bad weather. they definitely work, if not being the best solution.

wondering how they would fare in the projector housing in the GTO.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i installed a set of sealights and a set of new TYC headlamp housings in my truck. i know they are cheap LED bulbs, but i selected them for their profile. they will fit into most spaces where the regular halogen bulb will fit. not a lot of room with the headlamp housing design in the 98+ bravadas and jimmys.

i was worried about glare for other passing drivers and the light pattern, but neither seem to be much of an issue. after aiming them how i wanted, i did a drive by test to see if another driver would experience a lot of glare, but according to them it wasn't bad. i will probably do another test with us switched, and see for myself.

despite this, the cutoff with the reflectors is still comparatively poor with the LED's vs the halogens. you do get more light scattering above the cutoff line than with halogens, which should translate into glare for an oncoming driver. it also throws a TON of light right in front of the vehicle. objects in the distance are still illuminated fairly well, though, although it can be hard to tell that because of the brightness difference between near and far objects. I don't know if the extreme ends of the light pattern are as bright as they are with the halogen bulbs, but i don't see my visibility being hampered by these in city and suburb driving. overall brightness and visibilty is still improved over the halogen lights.

i can say that i still would like a set of LED lights and housings that are actually designed for the vehicle than a set of retrofit bulbs, but that's asking for a lot and these still do the job. the factory halogen headlamps in my truck were horrendous. i was having a very difficult time seeing at night in poor weather, and this was the simplest solution i could find for having better visibility in bad weather. they definitely work, if not being the best solution.

wondering how they would fare in the projector housing in the GTO.
I have a set of led modules out of a new accord and i've been dreaming of grafting them in there. That may become a reality because I'm on my last transmission job this week and after that I only have some other smaller projects to complete. I should have some more free time to get back on the car and get some well needed things done to it.

·
Worthless reject member
51,430 Posts
I have a set of led modules out of a new accord and i've been dreaming of grafting them in there. That may become a reality because I'm on my last transmission job this week and after that I only have some other smaller projects to complete. I should have some more free time to get back on the car and get some well needed things done to it.
in a gto? that would be amazing.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts