LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ad was in the latest High Performance Pontiac magazine. Has anyone used or tested one of these yet? Probably not the most high performance system out there , but it looks like a pretty nice. The tips look good too. I wasn't able to find a price for it yet.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
The price will be very reasonable. Looks like they did the right thing and didn't pinch the pipe like SLP, but rather went around the diff. Flows sound good even though they may not be the best flowing systems for all applications.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
I made my own catback system with Flowmasters. It isn't the system they are advertising. I have a set of Super Series Flows on and I know they are 5" tall but do not know just how long they are. They tucked up under the car and have no problem with clearance or any rattling. How much is this system going for because there is no price on the ad?

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
1newgoat said:
I have a catback flowmaster installed thay needed a car for a second fitting I posted this a few weeks ago
And??? What do you think about the system? Loud? Typical Flowmaster chambered sound? What about droning? How is the fit? Any rattles/thunks? Let us know! :)

·
Sonoma Co. Goat Herd
358 Posts
Quicksilver said:
And??? What do you think about the system? Loud? Typical Flowmaster chambered sound? What about droning? How is the fit? Any rattles/thunks? Let us know! :)
Louder than stock little deeper nice sound, droning insided around 70 in 6th gear , fit is perfect you would think it was stock

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I can't find anything on Summit or Jeg's website and I can't even find it on the Flowmaster site yet. I'm guessing it would be in the $350 range. That's about what their 5.0 catback with polished tips costs.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Catbacks aren't always simple bolt ons for most people. Most companies have tight tolerances in manufacture but if they are off even a little it becomes a bit harder. Usually comes in pieces and requires assembly which may need a pipe expander to do. You can rent these at most auto parts stores so thats not too bad.

I did the Magnaflow on my TA myself, but then had my SW installed just because i didn't feel like messing with it. The magnaflow gave me problems because i needed to use the pipe expander on every junction which when using a torque wrench requires alot of force and some means of holding the pipe.

The GTO system is nice because it doesn't go over the axle or anything hard to get at. The system will just drop off in one piece and gives you plenty of room to work the new one in. Saving the OE gaskets is a good idea and supposidely doesnt leak like some of the ones people have installed.

·
Sonoma Co. Goat Herd
358 Posts
This system is pretty easy even though I didn’t install it , The factory system unbolts and separates in two pieces then you reverse the process with the flowmasters system using the existing hangers

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Are the mufflers welded on?

I like the mandrel bent pipes but those chambered mufflers kill power...

I'd rather use what "I" like for a muffler and use the pipes...

Looks like a trip to the custom exhaust shop!

Ed

·
Registered
104 Posts
why not do what I did and buy the single chamber race flows. with the delta flow. Dump them, but keep your exhaust tips to fill the hole in the rear. Sounds awesome.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
gmsgto said:
why not do what I did and buy the single chamber race flows. with the delta flow. Dump them, but keep your exhaust tips to fill the hole in the rear. Sounds awesome.
Because we are forced to use mufflers on all the heads up Mustangs, we've tested all kinds of mufflers both on the dyno and on the track. Every chambered muffler we tried made less power across the board.

Now I only used the Flowmaster "Shoot-out" (Outlaw) series or Dynomax Race Magnum bullets on these racecars. They work BEST over any others.

Ed

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
so what is the concensus? SLP? Borla? which one is best?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Best tone or possible hp ?

I would say it's a mute point with different brands based on hp of catback, headers, cats. If you do equal mods you will get a ball park hp # based on how stout your car was to begin with and how the tune is.

Tone is a different ball game and subjective. Chambered mufflers may not flow as well as a straight through muffler but not having the infamous "LS1 rasp" is a good thing for some.

Flowmaster generally flows ok and is probably the closest to stock, BUT that depends on what muffler that kit uses. Single chamber will flow great and sound loud and mean as hell.

·
Sonoma Co. Goat Herd
358 Posts
I believe flowmaster are using their 40 series mufflers , I’m away on business I’ll try to record get a sound clip when I get back on Sat.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As I said in my original post, I doubt this is the most high performance system out, but it should be a very nice street system that will also help track performance. The mufflers might not be the ultimate for race applications, but I'd think the flow would still be very good and I've always liked the Flowmasters sound. The mandrel bent pipes with the crossover can't hurt either. I bet the fit will be very good and I'd expect the price to be about half that of the S/W , Corsa, Borla, etc.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts