LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed my walbro 255 fuel pump and everything works fine, except the car doesnt like to start right away. if i crank it, it will turn, but it doesnt start. if i turn the key from start to on, it still tries to start. i have to turn it back to acc for it to stop. i tried holding my foot on the gas, but it didnt help. after a couple tries it starts. can anyone help me please???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
When I test drove mine, the sales guy (no expert I'm sure) had me put in the key and turn to ON. During the beeps, he explained the computer is initializing and the fuel pump is running. Is it possible your new pump is not active and pressurizing the line during this phase?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont have a guage. i can hear the pump the first time i put the key in and turn it to on, after that i dont. i just got my nitrous bottle filled and i asked to guy working at the shop what he thought. he said it might be a bad pump, that the bleed off part of the pump is staying open so its not building pressure (forgot his exact words)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
stevedelegard said:
When I test drove mine, the sales guy (no expert I'm sure) had me put in the key and turn to ON. During the beeps, he explained the computer is initializing and the fuel pump is running. Is it possible your new pump is not active and pressurizing the line during this phase?
I upgraded my pump, had the same problem, and came to the same conclusion of the sales guy. If I turn my key to ON, give the fuel pump a second to turn on / prime / or whatever else is happening, it starts nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i went out to the car and tried messing with it, and it started fine with a few second prime, and each time after that. i coulda swore that it didnt start earlier when i did prime it. im gonna try and get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to it just to check it
 

·
And your point is.......
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
05gto60 said:
well, i went out to the car and tried messing with it, and it started fine with a few second prime, and each time after that. i coulda swore that it didnt start earlier when i did prime it. im gonna try and get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to it just to check it
Installed a Walbro 225 with the help of BillyGoatGruff tonight. After installed, I cranked over the car and it fired right up. No problems with starting at all. Something is up! Bad install or bad pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i installed a pressure gauge, how could i tell if its the pump or i messed up the install? it only seems to have trouble starting, once its running there no problem of it dieing. could the pressure bleed off on the pump only be stuck open at startup? i dont know much about fuel pumps, so i wanna make sure its the pump and not my install before i call the place i bought it from
 

·
Still a communist state
Joined
·
12,479 Posts
just wondering guys,is the walbro pump very loud or like the OEM for sound?
 

·
And your point is.......
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
05gto60 said:
if i installed a pressure gauge, how could i tell if its the pump or i messed up the install? it only seems to have trouble starting, once its running there no problem of it dieing. could the pressure bleed off on the pump only be stuck open at startup? i dont know much about fuel pumps, so i wanna make sure its the pump and not my install before i call the place i bought it from
No leaks? Two lines under the car need to be reinstalled. All the o rings go back on? Not sure what it could be. Just think back through on the install and try to remember what may have not gone together right. Or take it apart again and check it out. If everything looks good remove it and make a vender call.
 

·
Still a communist state
Joined
·
12,479 Posts
GotGTO said:
I don't hear mine. but the car is not exactly quiet.
:drink: mine will not be when i am done with it also.....seems like the stock fuel system is good up till 500hp+
 

·
No More GTO!!!!
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
I bet you have a leak where the pump goes into the bucket.There is some test fitting needed with O-rings and some trimming of the bucket sometimes to get a proper seal.Be careful with no guage!My LPE pump took me 2 times but I had a guage so I knew the first time I went to start it and the guage fell off fast when I shut the car off.If you get a cheap fuel guage that goes on the fuel rail you will see a problem pretty easily.
Anthony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GotGTO said:
No leaks? Two lines under the car need to be reinstalled. All the o rings go back on? Not sure what it could be. Just think back through on the install and try to remember what may have not gone together right. Or take it apart again and check it out. If everything looks good remove it and make a vender call.

there wasnt any leaks. me and another guy checked the 2 lines, so it wasnt just 1 set of eyes looking at them. I put everything back together exactly how it was taken apart. the thing is, the walbro wanst an exact fit. it was a little tight in the part that has the o-ring for the pump output, but i pushed it up there as far as i could w/o breaking the pastic, and the pump was pretty tight, it wasnt going nowhere
 

·
No More GTO!!!!
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
05gto60 said:
there wasnt any leaks. me and another guy checked the 2 lines, so it wasnt just 1 set of eyes looking at them. I put everything back together exactly how it was taken apart. the thing is, the walbro wanst an exact fit. it was a little tight in the part that has the o-ring for the pump output, but i pushed it up there as far as i could w/o breaking the pastic, and the pump was pretty tight, it wasnt going nowhere
leaks would be internal at the pump not external thet you would see.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
Stock fuel injectors good for what HP?

speeddemon said:
:drink: mine will not be when i am done with it also.....seems like the stock fuel system is good up till 500hp+
I just saw Horsepower TV put a NOS kit on a 98 SS with all the bolt ons.
Baselined at 370 WHP, 460 with 125 dry shot.

Question is All they did to the fuel system is put a Edelbrock pump in the tank. Am I correct that this in no way increased the stock fuel pressure because the regulator is NOT built into the pump.

Looking for how much HP an LS2's injectors are good for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, the last couple of times i tried to start the car, i let the system pressurize and then tried to start it with no luck. it would start the next time, but not the first time. if i cant get ahold of a pressure gauge in the next day or so, im just gonna reinstall the stocker till i can figure out why this didnt work
 

·
2/23/2007 = [email protected]
Joined
·
3,962 Posts
Have similar, or same problem as 05gto60 outline:

Have the 8.1L Fuel Bucket rebuild/60 lbs Injectors/Hi Flow Fuel Rails with Fuel Gauge attached......... turn key to ON position and hear the fuel line pressurizing (Fuel Gauge reads 0 psi before and after key is in the On position) ..... than start the car.... cranks but dosen't start. Turn key to Off position .... than restart and it starts. While car is running, Fuel Gauge reads 60 lbs and runs fine. Shut car off, Fuel Gauge drops immediately to 0 psi.

Most times, I have to go through the same process outlined above.

Is this not the norm, any ideas what might be the cause, and corrective measures to take or try.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top