LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
11 second all motor club
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God that thing is a pile of crap isnt it? haha

any way i bought the pioneer AVIC-Z1 unit with the XM and bluetooth (good deal 1700 for all 3 items :D) any way i am a lil short on cash at the moement and dont want to rack up the credit cards for amps and my JL10's and my MB Quarts SOOO i hate to even ask cause it seems like a total abomination but, how would the system sound with that headunit and our stock speakers? im assuming the same or worse than it does now right??? :( god i hate not being a millionare! haha

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
the car has a radio? wow, i'm so busy listening to the exhaust i didn't notice. well, i think the head unit isn't the main "problem" if that's what you think of it. if anything i'd replace the speakers first... and then work on the exhaust :D

·
11 second all motor club
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
svede1212 said:
the car has a radio? wow, i'm so busy listening to the exhaust i didn't notice. well, i think the head unit isn't the main "problem" if that's what you think of it. if anything i'd replace the speakers first... and then work on the exhaust :D

its funny i agree 100% with the speakers being the prob, but i found such a smokin deal on that avicz1 i couldnt say no ,

and thats what killed me on the test drive haha i was listening to the exhaust rather than the stereo :D

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
go all alpine i have never had a problem with any of there stuff and it looks great and sound even better heres some pics
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

sorry i dont have pics of the door speakers but alpine type s all around and tweeters with a 75*4 channel amp its 10 times better then the stock and the type r subs fill the prefect amount of bass with 600 watts

·
Suffering Fools
15,297 Posts
The stock speakers are all 2ohm, so your HU may run hot if you run it with the volume up. It's really better to replace at least the door, dash, and rear panel speakers first, or at the same time you do the HU.

·
11 second all motor club
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lothar34 said:
The stock speakers are all 2ohm, so your HU may run hot if you run it with the volume up. It's really better to replace at least the door, dash, and rear panel speakers first, or at the same time you do the HU.
2ohm really? god i didnt realize anyone ran a 2ohm stereo, except for subs haha

yea im tryin to see if i can dig up some cash and get some in expensive mbquarts that wont require too much juice, but meh

as far as alpine, i went almost all apline in my supra and loved it, but they seem to have moved away from uber trick and cool stuff like the AVIC-x1 is!! btw the selling point for me was the XM traffic nav, and the Bluetooth integration! :)

·
Suffering Fools
15,297 Posts

·
11 second all motor club
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
11 second all motor club
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tfar said:
My front door replacement is 7.125 outer diameter and 5.87 cut-out diameter. We did have to cut the lip on the stock mounting ring and also the "umbrella". But it did fit in. Mounting depth is 2.87".

Check out install diary and pics here
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101731

Till
oh good so small modifications thank god i can live with that :D

·
[email protected] TX muscle cars.
6,472 Posts
if you change them change all 6. the two in the back window are sub though and the wires are only "lows" so you have to change that ..i ran all new wires throughout the whole car and put 6 polk componet speakers in mine, sound unbelieveable!!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
EvilTT said:
as far as alpine, i went almost all apline in my supra and loved it, but they seem to have moved away from uber trick and cool stuff like the AVIC-x1 is!! btw the selling point for me was the XM traffic nav, and the Bluetooth integration! :)
Ok i bite. Do you have any idea what the new alpine stuff can do? I have the IVA-W200 widescreen double din deck with bluetooth cell interface kit, nav ready, ipod interface, XM, and a DVD player.....Dunno but to me thats a slick setup. Currently working on the holden phone button setup to intergrate the cell kit!

·
<3 ChoxRox
615 Posts
fordolet said:
Ok i bite. Do you have any idea what the new alpine stuff can do? I have the IVA-W200 widescreen double din deck with bluetooth cell interface kit, nav ready, ipod interface, XM, and a DVD player.....Dunno but to me thats a slick setup. Currently working on the holden phone button setup to intergrate the cell kit!
I've heard the Alpine BT interface is crap, what's your experience with it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: AVIC-Z1
I have the Z1, the stock speakers work just fine with this unit. The good thing about the Z1 is that it has many different sound settings which will allow you to not blow up your speakers. There are some more powerful setting that will overwhelm the stock speakers. If you want to drive around with big bass then you should get new speakers, otherwise the stocks will do just fine, besides your ears will probably thank you.

·
Suffering Fools
15,297 Posts
marshallgto said:
Re: AVIC-Z1
I have the Z1, the stock speakers work just fine with this unit. The good thing about the Z1 is that it has many different sound settings which will allow you to not blow up your speakers. There are some more powerful setting that will overwhelm the stock speakers. If you want to drive around with big bass then you should get new speakers, otherwise the stocks will do just fine, besides your ears will probably thank you.
It's not about the headunit overpowering the speakers, it's about the speaker's draw from the headunit and making overheat.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The speakers need to go first (or simultaneously). They're made in Korea and they're PAPER for cryin' out loud. The only reason they're in the car in the first place is that GM wanted to claim 200 watts from a 100 watt system, and they needed a 2 ohm speaker to make that happen.

You don't need to spend a ton. Some consumer-grade components in the front, matched coaxials in the quarters, and a set of Goldwood (or similar) woofers in the deck work fine. Most DD aftermarket HU's have sufficient 4 channel power on board (50 x 4) to negate the need for an outboard amp.

The deck woofers will need their own amp, however. Another 50 x 2 is plenty.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Stevers said:
I've heard the Alpine BT interface is crap, what's your experience with it?
Actually its been less than steller however its heavily dependent on the phone. My blackberry is pretty good, i have a sprint a920 and it sucks on that phone. People complain they can not hear me clearly but my friend was driving my car the other night and he had a nextel phone and he was crystel clear. So the jury is still out but it is sweet setup. :yumyum:

·
11 second all motor club
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
fordolet said:

i looked into the alpine unit and wasnt as impressed as with the pioneer, lack of things like the XM integrated navigation to rerout me around accidents was a big deal to me, not to mention the fact i found such a smokin deal on the equipment.

I broke down and bought a whole system for the car, im gona regret it when the credit card bills come, but that just means i wont get to do my exhaust and headers for a few more weeks :(

heres what i got so far (tax shipping included)

Pioneer Avic-Z1 with bluetooth, and trafficnav options
Alpine MRV-F545 (500x4)
Alpine MRD-M605 (600x1)
a pair of MB Quart 6.5 Reference series
a pair of MB Quart 6.5 Premium series
and 2 10" alpine type R subs

total spent so far 2775.68 +1300 for install, = 4k :( but its gona sound ****in good haha

Edit: i know 1300 sounds high for install but they are going to build a box for the 10s for me custom so i can keep what little trunk we have haha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts