LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if anyone makes a stat that fits our gto? Hypertech one is the wrong one.Our cars have a stat similar to the new trucks.Everywere I go is a dead end. Any ideas?

Thanks Anthony

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Just get the standard LS1 t-stat! I did. I ordered it using the catalog for my 1998 Camaro.

Part# HYP1014

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking to go down to 180 deg. what is the temp of that stat?

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
GM changed the LS1 thermostat design for 2004. They used to use a thermo that was part of the housing. The new one is seperate from the housing so it should be much cheaper (the other one was about $50.). We're waiting for low temp versions of this to become available. I expect to see a shipment by the end of next month.

Tom

Order line - 1-877-4-TBYRNE
E-mail - [email protected]

Price Match Plus policy

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot Tom,I was afraid no one knew what I was talking about. Keep us informed when It becomes available. For now cmnt said I can use the old style so I will give it a shot tomorrow.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Well, duh... I had started another thread about this same subject and then saw this one. I deleted the one I started. I just got done re-installing my stock tstat after finding out the Hypertech Powerstat didn't fit. Wish I had read this BEFORE I started all that work. Two hours wasted. Anyway, I'll see if I can get the tstat MXR mentions above.

(Later) Just got back from Advance Auto with a 180 degree tstat for a 1998 Camaro Z28. It doesn't look exactly like the stock tstat I saw earlier, but I'll give it a try TOMORROW. For now, I'm gonna get cleaned up and go cruising.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't think that stat would fit my water pump housing and I was right.Hey cmt, they must have two different production runs,or a change mid production on these ls1s in these cars? ANYONE NEED A 180 deg stat for an EARLY LS1? Come get it!!!!!! Anthony

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I've tried two tstats so far. The Hypertech Powerstat I ordered from LS1Speed and a Stant Superstat that supposedly fit the 1998 Camaro Z28. Neither part is correct. The time wasn't wasted, though. I got some good practice at changing the tstat. I bet I could do it in under 30 minutes now. Faster with a lift and power tools (although you don't want to use an air wrench to torque the tstat bolts. Seven to eleven lb-ft is plenty.)

I'm sure, sooner or later, I will figure out the correct part to use. When I do, installation will be a snap, and I already have a "tstat tune" saved on the laptop.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, hearing your experiance along with mine I would have to say that there are DEFINITELY two different designs floating around in these GTOs.The cars with the early design are lucky in one respect,they can get a stat for their cars now!For everyone else besides me and florit the next design will be cheaper than $50.We just had to be the guinnea pigs I guess.Someones got to do It but at least it was only $50.See ya Anthony

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
I also found out the hard way that I had the new design. I can return the tstat but the gallon of coolant I spilled when the hose clamp gave way is gone forever! Don't worry, my garage floor caught it all before it saturated the earth. Guess I'll wait for the new one. It sucks because I'm in FL and my car seems kind of sensitve to heat compared to some.

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also would like to put a 180 stat in my GTO. I have done a little research into this subject myself. I received the GM shop manuals for the GTO and it says that the thermostat opens and closes at 186 degrees. One day I connected the Autotap to the GTO and on the engine temperature readout the fan turns on at 225 and off at 195 degrees. The top radiator hose was warm at about 180 deg. when the stat first opened. I also have a Infrared Thermometer from Sears that I quickly point to the metal connection point of the top radiator hose one day and it read 185 degrees. At least on my car the thermostat does seem to run at about 186 degrees. I also put the part number on the housing, in a search at GM dealer web site that sells parts and it came back that it was a thermostat housing for about $17 their price. I also thought that the newer two piece design would interchange with the older one piece design. But this thread info seems to prove that is not the truth. The shop manual says the thermostat is a one piece design, but manuals are not always up to date with engineering changes. Is worth the change for $50 for 6-8 degrees cooler? Maybe the cost of the thermostat only maybe $20 is worth 6-8 degrees cooler.

Side note, I do not like the fact that my temperature gauge barely moved with the 30 degree change of the fans turning off and on. Is it accurate and would not still be in the normal range at the point of overheating. Has anyone else notice very little movement in their gauge once it is up to operating temp and the fans are going on and off?

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have Hp tuners and pulled the info in the VCM and My fan turn on and off for fan 1 was on at 226 and off at 219,fan 2 was on at 235 and off at 226. I dont know how these numbers are so different but I moved the fans on and off to 178 an185 and did the same for fan2 but up 10 degrees. this brought the temps down to a solid 190-195,I'm waiting on a new stat so I can get these numbers down another 10 degrees without the fans running constantly,besides, when the warm weather hits I don't think it will hold those numbers without the stat change.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh ya,these numbers lead me believe the stat is a 210-220

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I think the temperature gage is a 'dummy gage' meaning it will read a set place so long as the temp is in a certain range. You can monitor the coolant temp through the DIC if you are so inclined...
Dan

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
The temperature of the car can be monitored digitally. When you start up your car press the 'MODE' and 'SET' button at the same time that you turn the key to the on position. Jocky the digital read out by pressing the 'MODE' button until you get to the coolant temp. There you can watch your car heat up and monitor at exactly which temperature things begin to change.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Bone said:
I have Hp tuners and pulled the info in the VCM and My fan turn on and off for fan 1 was on at 226 and off at 219,fan 2 was on at 235 and off at 226. I dont know how these numbers are so different but I moved the fans on and off to 178 an185 and did the same for fan2 but up 10 degrees. this brought the temps down to a solid 190-195,I'm waiting on a new stat so I can get these numbers down another 10 degrees without the fans running constantly,besides, when the warm weather hits I don't think it will hold those numbers without the stat change.
The stock thermostat aprox. 192. On a cool day, that's what you will read while cruising. Setting the ECM at or below the thermostat temp will just run the fan constantly.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Yes, DY, you are correct. According to the folks at LS1Speed, from whom I bought the Hypertech Powerstat that won't fit on my car, that's exactly what they did... changed the housings in midproduction.

I had my stock tstat out of the car TWICE, so I know it well. It is stamped with 86*C. This converts to a little over 186*F, which confirms what 6M GTO said.

My temp gauge seems to go from "off" to "on" (mid-range) and nothing else. Barely a wiggle, regardless fans running or not. I will use the DIC to test my new tstat, if I can ever get one. (I was going to get a 180* tstat, but since our stock tstat is 186*, that would be a waste. Might as well get the 160* tstat.)

My "stock_tune" fan temps were as follows:
Fans Stage 1 - On 226, Off 219
Fans Stage 2 - On 235, Off 226

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I wonder if there's any way to find a VIN number of a changeover? Any of our Aussie friends still around that may be able to chime in? I don't think this could get you in trouble like the fascia thing...

Also - is there a simple way to tell which one you have on your car (ie. visual difference between the 2 styles)? Mine has a 10/03 build date - so it may fall into the 'early' range, and it may not.
Dan

·
Registered
138 Posts
So, does that mean those of us with the early design will be able to upgrade to the new design, if that is the case? I too have an early run car (10/03), but I am not sure if that was early enough to still have the old style...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts