LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
9 Second Club
14,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a T Bucket yesterday. We have a complete rolling Chasis. We are going to change out the frame rails with newer stronger steel and reclaim the rest of the components. Current Plan is for a 265 Chevy with some sort of lockable trans, most likely a 4l65E. We will use a Jaguire IRS. This car won’t be fast just a cruiser. Not ruling out an EV just yet though.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wood Helmet Beam Hardwood Metal

Sky Wood Gas Composite material Beam

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,841 Posts
I love my Evolution chop saw. It definitely makes things a hell of a lot easier.

·
9 Second Club
14,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Laid the frame today, picked up the Jaguar IRS, and started working on mounting the body.

Welding helmet Welder Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steelworker
Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Workwear Asphalt
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

• Love
Reactions: Westphal

·
9 Second Club
14,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a great tuner

·
9 Second Club
14,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My inspiration includes the ideas of Kory Ritter who is building/designing the T-Bucket Frame and suspension. Also, a good friend and NHRA Hall of Fame Member Preston Davis. Preston has restored all of the Bo-Weevil NHRA cars over the years. He teamed with Ray Godman in the early 1960’s to drive the Bo-Weevil Top Fuel Dragster. I always marveled at the work Preston does building cars.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame Hub gear

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
9 Second Club
14,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For you younger folks, the man in the wheel chair is Ray Godman. Ray is also an NHRA Hall of Fame Member. Ray was one of the early Memphis Rodders. He was drafted into the service in the Korean conflict and was wounded by a sniper, hence the wheelchair. Ray owned the Lakeland Drag Strip near Memphis, famous for the movie “Two Lane Blacktop.” Ray was instrumental in the NHRA coming East of the Mississippi River. Ray also owned Godman’s Speed Shop in Memphis and campaigned a series of Dragsters titled Bo-Weevil. Ray was and is clearly one of Drag Racing’s legends. Ray initially had Red Dyer driving for him but brought Preston Davis aboard in 1964 when they campaigned the Top Fuel Bo-weevil. Ray and Preston remained close friends for life, teaming up on may projects to include restoring the 4 main cars they campaigned together.

·
God Bless Texas!
2,294 Posts
Looks like a fun project!!

Reactions: wrp

·
9 Second Club
14,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey ole buddy.

I hope to be in Texas in a few weeks. Will be working in the Midland/Odessa area.
I'll be driving the GTO out there from Carolina.

Where you usually hang out (other than mexico for the videos 😉) ?
I live in Plano, you might want to reach out to Corndog, he is down that direction

Reactions: Smitty's05GTO

·
9 Second Club
14,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the motor stubbed in today. That allows positioning of the steering column and linkage. Also lets us set the brake master and we start narrowing the final position of the body.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive exterior
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Attachments

·
Performance Addict
2005 PBM, 6 Speed, corner carver
274 Posts
Looks like a fun build! Subscribing so I can see the progress.

Reactions: wrp

·
9 Second Club
14,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow - what color do you plan for this one?

why the 265?

keep the updates coming.
I am getting a lot of help from old school hotrodders. This car is a tribute to a well known builder in North Texas who has passed away. That makes it essential to stick to the very old school rodding solution. I wanted a Flathead but can’t find one in decent shape I can trust or afford. The 265 will have a 2 bbl carburetor and an oil bath air filter. The Jag rear was cheap and I can get a rear cover that looks like a quick change. Even considering narrower tires on the back, but tall. Color that has caught my eye is “pull me over red.” with white frame. Looking for an effect like the first shot in Post 10.

Reactions: Corndog

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
12,977 Posts
chromed suspension and gas tank too - that's trick.

Being in Memphis I'm familiar with Ray Goodman and the speed shop as a sort of pilgrimage trail they used to do. Not sure if they still do. Its a bit of a shame to see the old shops go and some of the big names get bought out or sold. Comp cams is still big here, RCI and the transmission shop are still around. But lunati and some others aren't around anymore.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts