LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
It's Here & It's Great
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
This is my first time posting on any of these forums so if I did not do it correctly plz let me know.

I have a couple of questions...I placed an order GXTX51 on 01/20/04. The production key code is still 1100. Should it have changed in 2 months?? My dealer cannot even find the order number in the system and supposedly called the area rep who indicated that it might be built mid-April. Considering my experience with the dealer I am somewhat skeptical.

Where does the person who updates the Tracker ( I believe 'red devil') get his information??

I have called Wanda (perhaps I shouldn't have... but getting pretty frustrated) and maybe she can help.

Anyone else experiencing the same difficulties recently?

Thanks
Fred

·
Resident Sheriff
4,691 Posts
My information is updated through another person on this site who works for GM. As for your status my records show that it is still 1100. By the way what color is this car?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here's the deal. 1100 means that your dealer has entered your order into the system. Once a week, GM goes through all the orders and picks some of them for production. Your dealer must have a GTO allocation before your order can get picked for production. If the dealer does not have allocation, the order can't be built. Each Pontiac dealer was given at least one GTO allocation for 2004. Bigger dealers were given more allocation. I'm guessing that your dealer currently does not have any GTO allocations left and that's why your order is still sitting there.

There are supposed to be more GTO allocations doled out towards the end of this month (if I correctly understand what I've been told by various people). Your dealer may or may not get more GTO allocations. Until he does, your order is not going anywhere. You need to ask him directly if he has the allocation or if he expect to get more. If not, you need to find out if there's anything he can do with his zone rep in order to get more allocation. For example, he could take some vehicles of another model that the zone rep needs to get rid of in exchange for allocation to use for your order. If he doesn't think he can work a deal with his zone rep, you'll have to go someplace else if you want a GTO this year.

I'm sort of in the same boat right now, that's why I know all this stuff. It sure seems like a paying customer should be able to order a car from any Pontiac dealer and expect to get the car built. Apparently, GM must control production and distribution especially for limited vehicles like the GTO.

By the way, it's my understanding that the dealers submit or resubmit orders for on Thursdays and Fridays, and GM picks orders for production on Tuesdays.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hey Fred, and Welcome.
I was in the same boat (situation, not ship from Oz) as you. My order was
placed 1/6/04, and my order never moved past 1100. Tigger's explanation
makes clear sense and is explained better than anyone else could. I wanted
an 04, and I figured if I got a build date in March, I still wouldn't see the
car until May or June.
I ended up settling for another color, and bought one in stock. I have the
car for 3 weeks; best move I ever made. If you really want an 04, buy it.

·
-Tom Capozzi- Spitzer Pontiac GMC
263 Posts
Tigger said:
Here's the deal. 1100 means that your dealer has entered your order into the system. Once a week, GM goes through all the orders and picks some of them for production. Your dealer must have a GTO allocation before your order can get picked for production. If the dealer does not have allocation, the order can't be built. Each Pontiac dealer was given at least one GTO allocation for 2004. Bigger dealers were given more allocation. I'm guessing that your dealer currently does not have any GTO allocations left and that's why your order is still sitting there.

There are supposed to be more GTO allocations doled out towards the end of this month (if I correctly understand what I've been told by various people). Your dealer may or may not get more GTO allocations. Until he does, your order is not going anywhere. You need to ask him directly if he has the allocation or if he expect to get more. If not, you need to find out if there's anything he can do with his zone rep in order to get more allocation. For example, he could take some vehicles of another model that the zone rep needs to get rid of in exchange for allocation to use for your order. If he doesn't think he can work a deal with his zone rep, you'll have to go someplace else if you want a GTO this year.

I'm sort of in the same boat right now, that's why I know all this stuff. It sure seems like a paying customer should be able to order a car from any Pontiac dealer and expect to get the car built. Apparently, GM must control production and distribution especially for limited vehicles like the GTO.

By the way, it's my understanding that the dealers submit or resubmit orders for on Thursdays and Fridays, and GM picks orders for production on Tuesdays.
I couldn't have explained it better myself.The reason for the allocations are that years ago They built x number of cars and whoever got there orders in first got the cars.So the large volume dealers sometimes came up short and the mom and pop dealers got all the limited availability cars.So now all of the manufactureres use some form of an allocation process.It works differently with specialty vehicles such as the GTO.That's why some of you have waited so long with no results.Your dealers shouldm have explained that to you bust most don't>I personally won't take a deposit from some one and order a car if I think that theres even a remote possibility that I won't ever see the vehicle.And unfortunately,some of you may not see your cars

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
Hey Fred,

What color/interior/tranny are you looking for? I know that Friday Motors (Taos, New Mexico) has one coming in. It's a barbados blue with the M6. I think it should be here in the next couple of months. Let me know if you're interested. BTW, I live in Taos, New Mexico. My Impulse Blue/Blue Interior/ M6 should be here in the next few weeks. Friday Motors is selling at MSRP and not a penny over.

·
It's Here & It's Great
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AAHaaa This all makes sense

Thank you all for the info....the allocation problem sounds like the issue at my dealer. I intend to ask them point blank about this issue.

I had ordered silver/black/M6.

Iron Horse...nice to know there is someone else out here in the "boonies" interested in GTO's. And yes I am definitely interested in that Impluse blue/M6 and will even put a deposit on it if necessary. Hopefully it has a black interior. Please let me know what I need to do. I will be out of town until next Thursday but will check immediately when I get back. My daughter was upset that I didn't consult with her about the color and she wanted the blue anyway...so that's cool.

·
Comp Eliminator Goat Driver
2,345 Posts
fred said:
Thank you all for the info....the allocation problem sounds like the issue at my dealer. I intend to ask them point blank about this issue.

Iron Horse...nice to know there is someone else out here in the "boonies" interested in GTO's. And yes I am definitely interested in that Impluse blue/M6 and will even put a deposit on it if necessary. Hopefully it has a black interior. Please let me know what I need to do. I will be out of town until next Thursday but will check immediately when I get back. My daughter was upset that I didn't consult with her about the color and she wanted the blue anyway...so that's cool.
Fred,

As others have said your info is right on the mark. As far as allocations go, dealerships GTO allocations are based on the number of 2003 GP's they sold. As this point in the production process I would think you would have a better chance of finding the car you want through dealers that already have vehicles in stock rather than ordering. It would also be a much quicker process. In any case good luck, and Welcome to ls1gto.

Bill

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
The IBM is mine

fred said:

Sorry Fred, the IBM is mine. The Barbados Blue/M6 was ordered for a dealer for Friday Motors. But he elected to get a STi instead. As of yesterday the vehicle wasn't spoken for. So the GTO is still up for grabs. Let me know if you're interested. I'll get the details for you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If your dealer doesn't come up with reasonable responses, best thing is to go to gmbuypower.com and search GTO and your zip code looking at dealer inventory. I saw 2 reds, yellow and a barbados blue doing a quick look around your area. Tommycap and Jason at Sewell (gtoj) are dealers and have been very helpful with info and may be able to ship etc if they have what you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fred

Go to gmbuypower.com and shop. I did and found one at MSRP: Black/Red M6, just like I wanted. I had to pay $275.00 for a plane ticket but the 250 mile ride home was just great. I had been waiting with a 12/1703 build date, and no idea when the car was coming. I gave up waiting and am glad I did. This car is everything they say it is , and more.

tpagto

·
It's Here & It's Great
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Iron_horse,
YES!! I would be interested in the Barbados Blue if it had the Black Interior. Let me know or I can call whomever directly.

Sorry it took so long to reply...just got back in town.

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
Fred,

I just spoke to Joe Mike from Friday Motors. It's Barbados Blue/Black Interior/M6. The only thing he didn't know was the delivery date. He's trying to get that information. He said it should be on the next ship but he wasn't sure. You can call either Debbie Friday/Raul/Joe Mike @ Friday Motors 505 758-2252. Let them know Anthony sent you. As soon as I have a delivery estimation, I'll let you know.

P.S. I just saw some pics of a Barbados Blue. WOW that color looks sharp. I bet it looks better in person.

·
It's Here & It's Great
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anthony,
I will call shortly...thanks much for the help. I will let you know what's up.

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
fred said:
Anthony,
I will call shortly...thanks much for the help. I will let you know what's up.

Anytime. :cool:

·
It's Here & It's Great
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anthony,
Called Joe Mike....he was very helpful and I will take that Barbados/Black/M6 which made my daughter real happy. It is scheduled to be built April 4 and probably won't get here until June but that's ok at least I now know I have one that will be built (I hope). More info later!
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow.. Reading this thread makes me feel like I really took the easy way in getting my GTO... I found the exact car I wanted and where it was going.. Called the dealer the next day and went in, made the deal and signed the papers.. The car was still in transit and I had to wait about a week but it showed up as expected and I took delivery 8 days after signing the paperwork..

Heres how I did it.. I went to the pontiac site and did a search for vehicle.. key in your zip and it comes back with all the vehicles that will be delivered to dealerships around your area.. Find the car you want.. call the dealer and make the deal..

here's the link. I hope this helps out some fellow future GTO owners.
http://www.pontiac.com/vehiclelocat...&submodelId=192&makeId=002&pvc=250&style=base

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
55Chevy said:
Wow.. Reading this thread makes me feel like I really took the easy way in getting my GTO... I found the exact car I wanted and where it was going.. Called the dealer the next day and went in, made the deal and signed the papers.. The car was still in transit and I had to wait about a week but it showed up as expected and I took delivery 8 days after signing the paperwork..

Heres how I did it.. I went to the pontiac site and did a search for vehicle.. key in your zip and it comes back with all the vehicles that will be delivered to dealerships around your area.. Find the car you want.. call the dealer and make the deal..

here's the link. I hope this helps out some fellow future GTO owners.
http://www.pontiac.com/vehiclelocat...&submodelId=192&makeId=002&pvc=250&style=base
Yeah I had a preorder but went the same route to get mine. BTW my very first car was a green '55 Belair. Wish I still had it.
:drink: :drink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts