LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the NGK TR55 and Thundervolts yesterday, and at first they were great. Then later in the day, something kinda made me mad so i drove pretty aggressive. I noticed it was harder to peel out. i dropped the clutch at 3.5k and as i shifted to 2nd (where it normally keeps spinnin), the tires caught and the RPM went hard down to around 4k and slowly dropped to 2.25k until i began to move forward normal again. Could this be related to the new plugs and wires and something i did wrong or is that normal and i just dont know it?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I'd say it depends on the alignment of the planets, not to mention a zillion other variables. Coincidence, perhaps? Unless the plugs are gapped all over the place and/or improperly installed, I don't see how plugs and wires could have the impact you've described.

My replacement plugs and wires have not caused any kind of problems.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are you sure the traction control was off?

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plugs were gapped to .050. TC was off. At first i thought it was the TC, but i looked down and i had already turned it off.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
why does every in LS1s use NGK TR55s? They are pretty cheap. NGK is good.
I think Denso Iridiums are the best plugs though, not cheap. I'm gonna try them myself but not till 15 or 30k.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Iridium plugs

GMH GTO said:
why does every in LS1s use NGK TR55s? They are pretty cheap. NGK is good.
I think Denso Iridiums are the best plugs though, not cheap. I'm gonna try them myself but not till 15 or 30k.
If your ride was delivered with AC 41-985 plugs you already have Iridiums. Gap them uniformly no looser that .045, and they will do their jobs perfectly. If you are having problems with a mod, drop back to the scientific method. For us, at our level, it simply means 'one thing at a time' and 'patience'. Simply put, if you want to change plugs and wires, change plugs first, observe a week, all is okay? Then and only then, change the wires, something goes wrong, it's the wires. When something goes awry on the wait a week method between mods, you will know exactly what to blame. No wonder, no worries! JMHO... ;)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Now OG, assuming we do have iridium plugs already (I'm 95% sure I do), would there be any benefit to changing them? I'm thinking of just changing the wires and leaving it at that.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Some folks...

phobos512 said:
Now OG, assuming we do have iridium plugs already (I'm 95% sure I do), would there be any benefit to changing them? I'm thinking of just changing the wires and leaving it at that.
Some folks swear by a favorite plug, or favorite wires. For myself at the moment, nearly box stock, the delivered sets of each will do until I do so extensive research before I change them, IF it's indicated. In the past I've used Accels for both, but this is a different beast. Having the PTM so close to one bank is going to make me very wary of RF or EMF or P issues until I learn more. It might be wise to sheathe the inside of the aluminum faced resin insulation board with a little Mu metal sheeting. Hmmmmm :sneaky:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts