LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

You can now replace your GTO’s bulky front skid plate for this lightweight SLP unit and shave over 12 pounds directly off the front of the car. Built entirely from powder-coated aluminum tubing, it allows for easy access to the oil filter and drain plug.

Our price for this is $149.99. Orders can be placed online or by calling 1-877-482-9763.

·
DOG
626 Posts
Ya know, I might get in trouble here for saying it, but what the heck is the point of this? The purpose of the skidplate is to provide protection and while the stock one weights a ton, this is so open it might as well not be under the car.

I've got the BMR skidplate and I think its far superior to the SLP unit in that it still provides full coverage but weighs the same. Maybe someone can enlighten me otherwise, and I really don't want to get in a sponsor v. sponsor argument here, but unless I see a compelling argument otherwise, I don't think that I could justify this product to anyone.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
it looks and sounds like you dont have to remove the SLP unit to do an oil change. this could be a conveninet benefit

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
tiggerfan said:
Ya know, I might get in trouble here for saying it, but what the heck is the point of this? The purpose of the skidplate is to provide protection and while the stock one weights a ton, this is so open it might as well not be under the car.

I've got the BMR skidplate and I think its far superior to the SLP unit in that it still provides full coverage but weighs the same. Maybe someone can enlighten me otherwise, and I really don't want to get in a sponsor v. sponsor argument here, but unless I see a compelling argument otherwise, I don't think that I could justify this product to anyone.
I'm not planning on entering my car in the WRC so I don't need much protection down there. I do however, change my oil so not having to remove an armor plate each time would be nice.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
tiggerfan said:
If the weight or access is a problem just take the skid plate off. It isn't structural or anything.
Skid plate? What skid plate?

I think I misplaced mine at the last oil change.. ;)

Ed

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
I might be wrong, but isn't the factory oil pan aluminum and that is the reason for the skid plate?? If so, it probably wouldn't take a whole lot to crack it. So I'd be a bit leary.

Bob

·
2002 Phantom HSV GTO
39 Posts
here is an extract from the Holden Service Manual, not that I have noticed any detrimental affects

"An oil pan under-tray (1) also forms an integral part
of the air flow system around the GEN III V8 engine
and must always be reinstalled after removal for
service operations, such as engine oil draining and
oil filter replacement.
NOTE: This tray is not designed as an oil pan
stone guard."

·
Registered
593 Posts
strife:

Undercar areo design I guess. Sounds like a typical GM lawyer deal when they say it is no stone guard. I am sure it will keep some of the stones away.

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
strife said:
here is an extract from the Holden Service Manual, not that I have noticed any detrimental affects

"An oil pan under-tray (1) also forms an integral part
of the air flow system around the GEN III V8 engine
and must always be reinstalled after removal for
service operations, such as engine oil draining and
oil filter replacement.
NOTE: This tray is not designed as an oil pan
stone guard."
Hmmm, if its for air flow why'd they make it out of 1/4 inch thick steel, seems that plastic would have been fine. Whatever, I'm not buying a new aftermarket one any way

·
Registered
160 Posts
Skid Plate

Seems I've seen another aftermarket version of the skid plate which weighs much less that the stock item and is the same full size.

However I can't remember the outfit who offers it. I'm almost positive I saw it here.

slick50

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
slick50 said:
Seems I've seen another aftermarket version of the skid plate which weighs much less that the stock item and is the same full size.

However I can't remember the outfit who offers it. I'm almost positive I saw it here.

slick50
BMR Fabrication.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I was thinking of removing it all together then I saw this happen Saturday at an auto-x event. It was a fast 65mph slalom and he lost it. I think I'll keep mine on.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
nikivee said:
I took mine off. Didn't see the point in it at all. I don't offroad with my GTO .
thought the same time till yesterday. yesterday was not a good day for me with the accidents and all, but i have not taken my skid plate off and im happy i havent. i was leaving my driveway like i do 10 times a day every day, but this time i must not have angled it out right and i heard something scrape on the bottom of the car. i went out and looked and i caught the curb just right and scraped up the skid plate!!!! i am soo happy it was there or it could have been an oil filter messed up or ripped off or even the pan it self..... so it will never come off.... unless i buy the BMR one.....

·
Broken
79 Posts
mlc said:
I was thinking of removing it all together then I saw this happen Saturday at an auto-x event. It was a fast 65mph slalom and he lost it. I think I'll keep mine on.
my srt skid plate was taken off by the 1st owner of the car. ive never cleaned my engine and have driven it in snow, SALTY ASS nj road, and even flash floods and my motor looks sparkly clean (its my daily driver). ive had a squeeky belt after a night of driving around in a bad storm - and its just on very first start off to get the water out of it. and besides, im FWD - i kick shit up everywhere! no need for a skidplate IMO.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
damn, this thread turned into a BMR ad pretty quick.

i kind of wondered what the point of the SLP skid plate was when i first saw it too. other than easy access to the oil filter i don't see much of a benefit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts