LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

SLP's new GTO PowerFlo exhaust system employs an integral X-pipe crossover and dual low-restriction mufflers to provide superior flow and performance, while minimizing interior resonance. Expect a smoother, mellower tone than that of the Loud Mouth system, along with a subtly aggressive edge under hard acceleration. Like all SLP exhaust systems, the GTO PowerFlo is hand-built from 100 percent stainless steel and carries a limited lifetime warranty.

Features
Constructed entirely from mandrel-bent 304 stainless steel (2.5" OD)
Equipped with an integral X-pipe crossover for optimum performance and sound quality
High-luster PowerFlo mufflers combine great looks; superior flow; and a deep, muscular tone
Exclusive modular design allows easy interchangeability between mufflers and SLP race resonators
Features two hand-polished, double-wall tips
Designed to OEM standards of fit and durability
Covered by our limited lifetime warranty

31061 SLP GTO Power Flow exhaust $689.99

Projected Date of Availability: July 30

We are currently taking pre-orders to provide you with one of the first systems that become available! You won't be charged until this is ready to ship.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
can you please re-explain how this is different from the Loud Mouth? they both have X pipes.
so does the power flow just have quieter mufflers, or what?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
DevilYellow said:
Should just be different mufflers so you can run heads and off road pipes and not go deaf.
do you mean heads or headers?

what if i wanna go deaf?? :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
looks like it still has the "pinch" of the pipe for clearance.... do all aftermarkets have this restriciton point.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
DevilYellow said:
You dont want to go that deaf..... headers off roads and this system should be just loud enough to not get pulled over but make some noise.
so you are saying, that if you were gonna headers and off road pipe thne you would choose the powerflow over the loud mouth?

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
yes, the loud mouth would be on the verge of annoying and attract too much attention from the police. This is how the F-Body loud mouths work. The power-flo mufflers are new so I do not know how loud they will get, time will tell.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
goatee said:
looks like it still has the "pinch" of the pipe for clearance.... do all aftermarkets have this restriciton point.
A slight indention such as that will have virtually no impact on flow rate. It takes a dramatic pipe turn or an abrupt, drastic indention to make any noticeable difference. Many dirt-track motors that I have dyno'ed have had indentions intentionally created in the headers for sparkplug clearance (some seemingly drastic) with absolutely no effect one way or another in hp or torque compared with other similar plug/header combo's (these being for different chassis fitment).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It still makes me go hmmmmm..... Why is it such a big deal to go mandrel bend on the pipes then if slight obstructions have no affect on flow?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Well i have two things.

1. Powerflow system would be a better option for those planning on headers, high flow cats, or no cats b/c of the slightly lower volume level. It will still be louder than OE by far but more toned.

2. As for the pinch no effecting flow rates i do believe this. It's hard to swallow and seems to defy logic but when dynos show only a 10hp gain with a catback such as spintech it makes me wonder how bad OE flows. I guess the question is what does the SLP dyno ? If it's close to any of the other catbacks on the market without "pinches" then it doesn't really matter i guess.

It looks like the SW chambered is the best setup so far with chambered mufflers, mandrel bends, no pinches, and 3in pipes (which is alot more than you need for a stock or mild bolt on GTO). I wonder what that dynos ?

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
goatee said:
It still makes me go hmmmmm..... Why is it such a big deal to go mandrel bend on the pipes then if slight obstructions have no affect on flow?
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST IS SPECULATION.

I think that in non-mandrel bent pipe, the combination of several small restrictions adds up to one big one. not to mention how the "wrinkles" would cause turbulence of the gas flow as it makes it's turn. One slight depression (at least from looking at the photo) wouldn't seem to even come close to being as restrictive as that.

All speculation aside, I only know what the dyno data told me....

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
407 Posts
The length of the pipe has as much to do with restriction as the diameter. To see what I mean, take a coffee stirrer and blow through it, then cut it short and try again. Same diameter, much less restriction. A short length of restriction won't affect HP dramatically.

Usually, the big restriction in a stock system is the mufflers. GM has to meet much stricter noise standards than the aftermarket guys do, so the biggest gains come from replacing the mufflers, not the pipes.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Looking Good!

31061 SLP GTO Power Flow exhaust $689.99

Projected Date of Availability: July 30

Looks like a totally acceptable replacement at 2.5 inch for a 346 CID engine to me! I'd bet this would sound very similar to the stocker, just a little more bass rumble and smoother with less snap, crackle and pop. With the X-over, MPG might go up one or two, and the Goat would breathe easier. I like it and will keep it in mind!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts