LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since the car is slowing down project wise, I guess it was time for a new project. Or I am just dumb and like having no time for nothing else. you guys and gals can decide.

Anyways I moved into a duplex my Dad owns. It was a single family house which someone converted the basement into a seperate unit, seperate entrance, no shared doors. The upper unit is basically a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage ranch. Previous tenant trashed the place, so we are gutting it, pretty much, inside and out while I live there and remodeling. Once done remodeling, I'll be buying the place from my Dad.

So anyways, going to start an update thread showing the progress. Already been at it for over a month. Outside looks like a bomb went off, got a new driveway, stripped out the carpet, painted most of the inside, and have gutted the two bathrooms.

So here are some before pics of the outside:

Attachments

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ripped out three trees. One was so dead we pushed it over with the tractor with no effort. Second tree was half dead, had some disease. Last tree was into the sewer pipe with it roots, so got rid of it. Now I am working on building a new rock wall to keep the terrace between the two halfs of the yard. The new front sidewalk and driveway are in. Waiting on the tractor to be brought back to finish the wall; I am tired of carrying the rocks 30 yards from the pile to where I am placing them. I built all the the rock wall along the sidewalk that is there about 5 years ago. All the rock was just laid flat from the sidewalk back 15 feet into the yard.

During the Destruction:

Outside Now:

Attachments

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Place was trashed. Walls were covered in dirt and what I think was chew spit. Took us days to scrub them clean, just to get them ready for paint.

Living Room:

Guest Bedroom:

Master Bedroom:

Master Bathroom, note the silver wall paper:

Guest Bathroom:

Attachments

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Living Room repainted, carpet removed, waiting to install the new bamboo floors until we get farther along:

So originally the guest bathroom was larger than the master, so we decided to switch the two. There was a closet between the master bedroom and guest bath, so we are knocking out the back of it and closing up the old dorr to the guest bath.

What the old master looks demoed:

Attachments

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is exactly what i want my first house to be. trashed but structurally sound.

To me it looks like a blast.
Ya, somewhere that is liveable, but needs everything replaced. Best of all, I am just having to kick in money if I want something more than my Dad was planning. Like I wanted hardwood floors, so I kicked in the difference between it and carpet.

Just wish there was more time in the day. 50 hours at work and 20 on remodeling a week is making me drag ass.

·
死のヤギ
477 Posts
wow...best of luck good sir....my first house was in the same condition...I fixed what I could...then realized Im not good with handiwork...lets just say, my current house was not a project...Id help you if I lived closer....but yeah..you never know

·
Bar Room Hero
723 Posts
Damn if you were close by I would come by and help out. So far so good. I probably would of turned it into a huge garage with a bed but thats me.

·
5800ft Sucks Wind - Literally
709 Posts
You are kickin butt...

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep moving along, I'm pretty sore and tired. We got back from California at 5:00 pm Saturday and started painting at 7:00 and kept going until 11:00. Got up Sunday and worked all day. Got off work yesterday and then worked until 10:30. Think I am going to take tonight off.

Before taking off for the trip, we got the shower and tub installed, just basic 1 piece fiberglass units, nothing fancy. Also while the subfloor was exposed in the bathrooms I ripped up a few boards so we could insulate between the floors for sound. Got a blow in insulation machine and just shoved the hose under the floor to the wall and pulled it back as the floor filled. Worked really slick.

While we were gone my Dad moved some switches around and wired up the plug in the garage for the laundry. Then he had some drywall guys come in and fill in all the walls. They did a wonderful job, my Dad has used them for remodeling at his house. So if anyone needs some drywall guys, shoot me a message and I'll get the info for you.

Picks of the Insulation, amazed how much quieter the floors are.

Since Saturday night, we have primed and painted 3 rooms, laid a Hardibacker concrete panels in the master bath, cleaned a lot of stuff (my Dad makes a ton of mess but never cleans up), setup the laundry in the garage and cleaned the garage. Next up is a new fence, tile the bathroom, and place all the cabinets.

Master Bedroom looking into the Master Bath. New doors, walls, painted and the cabinets mocked up in place.

Master Bath cabinets.

New paint, Ashley says it is gray. Looks blue to me. I like blue.

Attachments

·
5800ft Sucks Wind - Literally
709 Posts
Very Nice...

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Dude. I need to hire you.
I just do little things. Electrical, plumbing, drywall, are all not done by me. I am slow too. I am good at destroying things and dragging them to a flat bed truck. Plus I'm needing to hurry up so we have a toilet and can install carpet.

What's up with the "////"?

·
Registered
806 Posts
looks good man

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know you go to Home Depot too much when two different staff members know your name.

Everything is painted. Forgot to take pictures of the Master Bath coutertop now that it is tiled, grouted and the sink is in place. Basically have to slap a few pieces of trim on, caulk the sink and toilet, and install the light switch covers and it will be done. Master closet has the top row of closet poles done. Waiting on the bottom row until the carpet is installed. Also got to figure out a shoe rack and some shelves for it.

On the 10th the carpet will be installed. Then it is basically wood floors and trimming the rooms with wood floors and I'll be done until the kitchen in the spring.

The guest bath has been turned into the tool shed. Love how the hickory cabinets look. Started on the fence outside Sunday. Should finish it next week.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,255 Posts
Bob Ryan Villa.
Ive started redoing my bathrooms as well, re-grouting sucks when you've never done it before.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 54 Posts