LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have a rear diff replaced at the factory? If so, how long did it take to get it? Do they keep them in stock locally, or do they ship them straight from Oz? Reason being, I am taking the goat in Tuesday to be checked out due to some serious sounding noise, and am just wondering how long I will be without Monica. Thanks in advance. I'm also planning on getting Amsoil rear diff fluid so they can put that right in.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I would expect a good wait time. I think they come from the Dana in Australia. Please do not hold me to thins. Just don't expect anything less than a week.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I took mine in Friday to have the diff checked out, as it's whining around 50mph or so, they just told me it's normal and not to worry about it...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZUMin3K said:
I took mine in Friday to have the diff checked out, as it's whining around 50mph or so, they just told me it's normal and not to worry about it...
Mine is whining also. But in reverse, there is a grinding noise. Hurts just to think about it. The grinding developed over the past four or five days, the day after I got the fluid changed. If it is a week wait, it won't be too bad. The James-Rivard in Brandon has some really nice Canyons as loaners.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Don't tell them you changed the fluid. Unless they did it, and with the dealership provided fluid.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will they notice the fluid has been changed? I was changed about a week ago. If I brought in some fluid, would they put it in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took mine in to the dealership on Wednesday for the third time for rearend noise. It whines at about 45-50 mph. They tried to tell me that it was normal but I called :bs: because I had an 04 that never made any noise. The first couple of times I took it in, they said I needed to drive it and put more miles on it. When I first noticed the noise, the car had about 200 miles on it. I took it in again at 750 miles, they said drive it more. They wanted me to bring it back when it had 3000 miles on the clock. On Wednesday, when I took it in, it had about 1300 miles on it and I reminded them that I bought a "new" car and that I shouldnt have to put up with it making this noise. I strongly suggested that they go ahead and fix it NOW, as I was not going to wait until 3000 miles. The service advisor went and talked to his boss and they finally agreed to put a new rearend in. The service advisor couldnt give me a estimated completion date. So I'm stuck in a POS Chevy Cobalt for who knows how long.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan_E said:
Did you have friction modifier added during the fluid change?

I added this Lucas additive (not sure if it's FM or not) someone recommended after I started noticing the grinding. Hasn't done much if anything.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I hate when dealers continue to screww you after the sale. When mine went in for a BCM, the needed the car for two weeks. They had to chase the problem, and make sure ALL of the wires were OK.

I told them that I needed a rental. I actually have a truck they do no know about. But, WFT I am giving them my 30k dollar car. I want something as collateral. Told them no POS. I would up with an 05' Trail Blazer LTZ. OK, I am happy.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Good luck with the grinding...My dealer told me that they are going to "review the bulletin" and see if it needs to changed or if they can just change the fluid out and be done with it...We'll see.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, just got back from the dealership. I gave them the TSB# to help things along. I doubt they even looked at it. I rode along with a service tech, and we heard the noise loud and clear. Three hours later I get handed my keys and am told they drained and refilled the fluid, and added FM. Have a nice day. WTF?!?!?!?! Three $#%#@ hours for a fifteen minute job? And all they said was it sounds better. Come back in 1000 miles, and we'll check it again. I love dealers that cut corners. My car was showing all the signs stated in that TSB, and all they did was change the fluid. Great. I can't wait for that survey.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Crap, I'm sure my dealer will do the same thing :(
Hurry up and put 100 miles on it, take it back and see if they replace it. Of course they will probably just keep doing this until warranty is up and then charge you for a new rear end...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ZUMin3K said:
Of course they will probably just keep doing this until warranty is up and then charge you for a new rear end...

Hahaha....true. Make sure you print out the TSB, and hand it to them so you know they looked at it.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I blew my diff on a sunday and at 2:30 pm that friday I was driving my car again. I was surprised they only had my car for a week.

·
Dismembered
4,339 Posts
Kyle_LS1 said:
Well, just got back from the dealership. I gave them the TSB# to help things along. I doubt they even looked at it. I rode along with a service tech, and we heard the noise loud and clear. Three hours later I get handed my keys and am told they drained and refilled the fluid, and added FM. Have a nice day. WTF?!?!?!?! Three $#%#@ hours for a fifteen minute job? And all they said was it sounds better. Come back in 1000 miles, and we'll check it again. I love dealers that cut corners. My car was showing all the signs stated in that TSB, and all they did was change the fluid. Great. I can't wait for that survey.
Kyle,

What type of fluid did you use when you changed it? It REALLY does make all the difference in the world trust me, I've been there.

http://www.ls2gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73743

Cheers,
BS

1 - 20 of 28 Posts