LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ludicrous Speed!
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They aint expensive, but I like the look and the 40mm offset, as it allows me to get more camber out of the fronts. Plus they are 17 by 8", so no new tires were required... trying to be frugal to save for my heads and cam...

Voxx MG's from Discount Tire:



 

·
KBAS
Joined
·
221 Posts
Not bad. I like them better than factory. Personalized and inexpensive. Good call.
 

·
Resident 10-second Priest
Joined
·
8,959 Posts
Nice choice. Did you get a chance to weigh them before installing?

Padre
 

·
Resident 10-second Priest
Joined
·
8,959 Posts
phobos512 said:
How much did you new ones weigh again Padre?
My 17x8 OZ's are 42lbs on the rear with Nittos. 44lbs up front with stock BFGs.

Stock rims/tires were 52lbs.

My 19" TSW's with Proxies were 48lbs.

Padre
 

·
Ludicrous Speed!
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rims weigh 21.8 #s, compared to the stock ones at 26.0. So almost 17#s saved overall, not too bad. The tires are stock size, 245/45s.
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
2Cool said:
The rims weigh 21.8 #s, compared to the stock ones at 26.0. So almost 17#s saved overall, not too bad. The tires are stock size, 245/45s.
How is it that our stock wheels only weigh 26lbs? That seems like a gross understatement. Damn things were HEAVY when I had to mess with one.
 

·
Doc, Just Doc
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
Nice look. Even though they are the same size as the stockers they look much better!

Doc
 

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
Joined
·
303 Posts
Looks Good :D
 

·
Ludicrous Speed!
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
phobos512, thats the weight of the rim alone, without the tire. Also, like your Strong-Bad avatar...
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
2Cool said:
phobos512, thats the weight of the rim alone, without the tire. Also, like your Strong-Bad avatar...
I know that was the weight of the rim alone. I've handled the rim alone and they to me weigh a TON. That and the fact that I got a quote on some OZ Racing wheels from BigWheels.net yesterday in 18x8 and was told they weigh 28lbs too, and it seems odd that a wheel with far less material and meant for racing would weigh the same as our supposedly incredibly heavy stock wheels.

The Strong Bad avatar is from this site, far too many people have it but I wasn't creative enough to make my own like I usually do. I have however customized him with the "Scroll Buttons, Scroll Buttons" chant ("I've got scroll buttons like the day is long" hehe).
 

·
Resident 10-second Priest
Joined
·
8,959 Posts
phobos512 said:
I know that was the weight of the rim alone. I've handled the rim alone and they to me weigh a TON. That and the fact that I got a quote on some OZ Racing wheels from BigWheels.net yesterday in 18x8 and was told they weigh 28lbs too, and it seems odd that a wheel with far less material and meant for racing would weigh the same as our supposedly incredibly heavy stock wheels.
My OZ Superleggeras weigh in at 17lbs. (In fact, the name means "lightweight"). My 19x9.5 TSW rims w/ tires weighed less than the stockers (though I didn't weigh them without tires). So I'd say our stock rims are pretty fat. :)

I can also add that I don't know if it's helped me. I'm getting the same sixty-foots with the OZ's as I did with the 19" TSW's (but never did with the stockers). Who knows, too light may make it easier to spin or maybe I need that 9.5" footprint.

Padre
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
PadreGTO said:
My OZ Superleggeras weigh in at 17lbs. (In fact, the name means "lightweight"). My 19x9.5 TSW rims w/ tires weighed less than the stockers (though I didn't weigh them without tires). So I'd say our stock rims are pretty fat. :)

I can also add that I don't know if it's helped me. I'm getting the same sixty-foots with the OZ's as I did with the 19" TSW's (but never did with the stockers). Who knows, too light may make it easier to spin or maybe I need that 9.5" footprint.

Padre
Not that it matters since they are apparently heavier than f*** but here are the wheels that I was talking about that I thought for some reason would be light. :)

 

·
I like boobs.
Joined
·
6,581 Posts
Beats the heck out of the stock wheels. Lookin good!
 

·
Great Lakes Moderator
Joined
·
2,358 Posts
Damn things were HEAVY when I had to mess with one.
LOL, that's funny...the first thing I thought of when I rotated them was how light they were. Of course I was used to changing tires on an offroad race truck... about 120 lbs each, 35"x12.5" R17 front and 35"x14.5" R17 rear BFG Mud Terrains (with inner liners). Yeah, now that was fun to do by myself!!

Oh yeah, sweet rims!
 

·
Ludicrous Speed!
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
heh... you don't sidewall dress performance tires, and the Azenis are for autocross/roadrace use as well as street driving. Kinda kills the idea of installing sticky tires to coat em with slippery goop.
 

·
Turbos own me
Joined
·
149 Posts
2Cool said:
The rims weigh 21.8 #s, compared to the stock ones at 26.0. So almost 17#s saved overall, not too bad
If you figure that into unsprung weight that is like removing 117 pounds from the car. 4 lbs. savings on each wheel is a significant change, all this is of course if you have the same diameter wheel(which you do). If you get bigger wheels this number goes down due to moving the weight further away from the center.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top