LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Doing the Mid-life thang!!!
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock steering rack and high pressure hose was leaking so bad that I was afraid to drive it. After looking around to do a rack rebuild my tuner said go to Autozone and get one with a warranty that is right here. So I did. Replaced pump, rack and high pressure line and OMG. The steering feels so light now it’s unreal. I don’t ever remember it feeling like this. But all in all I am pleased. Now time will tell how it holds up.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,570 Posts
Surprised autozone has a rack ready to go for the GTO.
Did they also have the high pressure line?

·
Administrator
9,407 Posts
He didn’t say he walked into an Autozone and picked one up. They are a lot like Rockauto now in that you can buy a lot of products they don’t stock in stores and have shipped directly to you.

·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surprised autozone has a rack ready to go for the GTO.
Did they also have the high pressure line?
Yep and the pump. I got it about 2 days.

·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He didn’t say he walked into an Autozone and picked one up. They are a lot like Rockauto now in that you can buy a lot of products they don’t stock in stores and have shipped directly to you.
They wouldn’t ship it to my house. I had to pick it up at the store where I ordered it.

Reactions: Glynn

·
Administrator
9,407 Posts
…or that. My point was to the other guys who may have thought Autozone stocked those parts. You can order a lot of parts for pick-up or shipment to your house that they don’t stock in stores.

A lot of brick and mortar stores are using this business plan to compete with places like Amazon.

·
Worthless reject member
53,848 Posts
…or that. My point was to the other guys who may have thought Autozone stocked those parts. You can order a lot of parts for pick-up or shipment to your house that they don’t stock in stores.

A lot of brick and mortar stores are using this business plan to compete with places like Amazon.
i always shied away from ordering parts from autozone or any other parts store, either at the counter or online. unless that was all i could find...

the only real benefit i can see vs ordering from amazon or rockauto is "customer service."

how much did the rack cost you, OP?

·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i always shied away from ordering parts from autozone or any other parts store, either at the counter or online. unless that was all i could find...

the only real benefit i can see vs ordering from amazon or rockauto is "customer service."

how much did the rack cost you, OP?
The rack, lines and pump cost around 800. I bought it brand new and no core exchange. I still have the pump and rack just in case I have to do a rebuild. I wanted to buy new parts they were local if warranty issues arise so I don’t have to go over the phone warranty crap.

·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: Kfxguy

·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At Autozone did you have to go through the "who makes the GTO again?, is that a V8?, what transmission?" BS?
No. This place has a couple good people who are car guys for real. But I have had that happen. Lol

·
GR-RRR!
7,873 Posts
I typically go to O'Reilly's for general auto supplies. They are close, they have good sales/rebates on oil and filters and I like their rewards program. If I gotta spend the money, I might as well get a few bucks back now and then.

For serious cars parts or hot rod stuff I can't wait to show up by ordering online there is one parts store clear across town that still uses parts books and has old guys who know their stuff. I also am lucky to live locally to Speedway Motors so I can get many hot rod parts right away as long as I'm willing pay a little extra instead of ordering from somewhere like Summit.

I avoid AutoZone and Advanced Auto like the plague. Even the local NAPA stores are full of no-clue knuckleheads.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,570 Posts
I used to work at an Autozone part-time as a manager for that extra (small) cheddar. This kids are getting dumber because they are not trained on anything and there are fewer dads out there teaching their kids how to do anything.
I had to count cash and close the store....they never trained me how to use the cash register or commercial accounts ordering system. I had to figure it out.

Temper your expectations for the red shirts making $8 an hour and grey shirts running the store for $10.

Back to steering racks

·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used to work at an Autozone part-time as a manager for that extra (small) cheddar. This kids are getting dumber because they are not trained on anything and there are fewer dads out there teaching their kids how to do anything.
I had to count cash and close the store....they never trained me how to use the cash register or commercial accounts ordering system. I had to figure it out.

Temper your expectations for the red shirts making $8 an hour and grey shirts running the store for $10.

Back to steering racks
Seriously. The parts store kids are just getting dumber. I went in yesterday for a quick connect fitting and they wouldn't even look in their computer without "Year, make, and model" for a universal part.
I wouldn’t say dumber just less informed. You gotta learn somewhere. But it is frustrating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts