LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I searched but didn't see anything pertaining to my issue. I just picked up my hood after waiting 10 weeks and they gave me this dinky hardware to fasten it to the stock bracket(see chrome bolt and washer). The factory bolt and washer is the blue fella.

I think this bolt is small, but the thing that really got me to pump the brakes was how small the new washer is on the hole for the hood bracket(see above). Can I just throw on a bigger washer and be fine or should I be concerned with how much smaller these bolts are too?
TIA

·
Daily Driver
179 Posts
Those look like flat washers, get some fender washers (larger diameter) and see how it holds before hitting the road.

·
Worthless reject member
46,879 Posts
The stock bolts are too large to thread into the new hood.
IIRC i used the stock bolts on my VFN. It's been a while since i installed it, and it is gone now, so perhaps i remember wrong.

Odd they used grade 5 sae. I'd switch to a grade 8 at least.

Your probably going to need to cut down the pads where the hinge bolts to to make the hood fit right, and them reinforce the area with fiberglass anyway. At least that's what I had to do.

·
Worthless reject member
46,879 Posts
maybe i remember wrong then. i sure as heck don't have spare stock bolts left over for the hood hinges laying around, unless they are hiding somewhere.

just an anecdote to consider, even though the website says to notch the lower bolt holes on the hinges to lower the back of the hood, as i wrote above, i decided to shave the hinge mounting pads down and lay fiberglass over the installed hinge plate. After having a wreck, i don't regret that decision one bit. The area where i modded the hood and added fiberglass held quite nicely, but the stock hinges bent considerably. they certainly weren't as strong as i would have thought. the resin around the thread inserts also seemed suspect to me after puchase and when i was doing work to the hood. from the day i got it, i had to fish out small chucks of resin from those areas in the back of the hood, which i only imagine came from around the thread inserts. i really didn't trust them.

i would really consider doing what i did and using a spare set of hinges, and using the part of the hinge that attaches to the hood as a permenant fixture that is fiberglassed to the hood, with a GOOD fiberglass resin. West System worked great for me. in my experience it did more than just give me a little piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I used the stock bolts I'm my VFN and I just got it last year. I had to use a tap to clean a little bit of fiberglass residue out of the threads, but factory worked just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts