LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the bad news today that my 04 GTO M6 with 400 miles on it, needs a new water pump. The kicker is that its on "national" backorder and they can not predict when it will be here. They also said the car was "drivable" but I refused and they would not give me a loaner. So I called the 800 Number in the back of the manual, and they made the dealer give me a loaner. Fuc?ing bumber...

·
Seriously?
1,608 Posts
Hey, at least you got a loaner out of them. I bet parts start rolling in like hurricanes in Florida with all of the problems there have been getting parts for the GTO.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
nikivee said:
Ah.. Is there something special about the water pump? Doesn't it use the same one as the LS1's in the Vette or F-bodies?
Thats what I was wondering... Heck, why couldnt they hop down to an auto parts store an at the very least offer you an aftermarket pump until a GM part can be installed?

·
Got V8
241 Posts
Ya its the same dam water pump, that dealer is just freaking stupid.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Alot of car companys don't wanna pay for loaner car unless the work is for 8 hours +. Ironically 95% of warranty jobs pay under 8 hours. Only major engine work exceeds 8 hours typically.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
nikivee said:
Ah.. Is there something special about the water pump? Doesn't it use the same one as the LS1's in the Vette or F-bodies?
Sure does. But it's the special GTO water that has to be imported from Australia. :banghead:

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
hell see if they'll install an electric water pump if you buy it.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
As I've posted numerous times. The same water pump between 4 cars will have 4 different part numbers. As such, the service department/parts department knows you have a GTO and will ONLY order the GTO part#. They refuse to step out of the box, run the pump# for a 2002 T/A, only to find it's sitting in stock in a rack 15 feet away because if for some bizarre reason it isn't the right part, it could cause a problem, not work right, then you'd be back again, even more upset, and on attempt #2 to fix the same problem. Since many states give it 3 attempts before "Lemon Law" can be enacted, this problem from parts could be the genesis for a costly buy back on something that REALLY isn't a "lemon". Simply a logistics mistake instead.

And like Fraser says, they've gone to giving rentals if the car is in their hands overnight or serviced for 8 hours.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Catchme ? Hhhhhmmmmmmm.......

2004 Chevrolet Corvette P# 89017456
2004 Pontiac GTO P# 89017456
I don’t see a difference in the part # there is none!!!
this part is in the local warehouse (I’m in Lake forest , CA )
means it can be delivered to ANY dealership in 24h

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
That's a rarity that they're the same.

Look up the four bolts for a front sway bar on a '98 Z28. I bet you come up with 4 different part numbers for the same freaking bolt!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I won't be surprised if there are different part numbers for every bold, but that's not the point. My point is that his story doensn't make sense. He sounds like that guy who sold his GTO to buy a Mustang (unless he is really unlucky and there's a whole bunch of idiots working at the dealer where he had his car getting fixed).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dede said:
I won't be surprised if there are different part numbers for every bold, but that's not the point. My point is that his story doensn't make sense. He sounds like that guy who sold his GTO to buy a Mustang (unless he is really unlucky and there's a whole bunch of idiots working at the dealer where he had his car getting fixed).
Im not sure if you are making reference to me with that last statement, but if you are, why do you say my story doesnt make sense? Please...explain.
Im just telling you what I was told bro.

BTW, the car is finished, they got a part and installed it today.

·
Registered
262 Posts
fwiw the water pump on the GTO looks a hair different than the f-body pumps. I haven't pulled mine to check, but there looks to be less clearance between the pump and timing cover, and the casting is different. its too bad i'm leaving the gto stock for a while, I'd tear it down on a whim otherwise ;)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Catchme said:
Im not sure if you are making reference to me with that last statement, but if you are, why do you say my story doesnt make sense? Please...explain.
Im just telling you what I was told bro.

BTW, the car is finished, they got a part and installed it today.

yes, that's what I've been saying -- that whatever the dealer told you about the part being unavailable and that you can drive the car with leaking waterpump didn't make sense. This has to be a lousy dealership and it's up to you if you want to go there ever again to get your car fixed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts