LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Buckeye Goat
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, guys so I might be the most indecisive person ever when it comes to wheels for my GTO. Since owning it (Feb 15, 2012) I've had :
  • Stock 17"
  • Stock 18'
  • VMR v718 18' gunmetal
  • Stock 18" (was told they were in great shape, they were scratched & pitted under the plasti-dip)
  • VMR v703 18" hyper silver
  • Stock 18" .This set is damn near immaculate except for a small curb rash on the left front, I will keep this set.

Now I loved the gunmetal color on the VMR wheels but wanted to go back to the stock wheels since they do look amazing on these cars so I ditched them and found a set local to me. That was a mistake, the kid told me they were in great shape but once I got all the stupid plasti-dip off I saw they were in just ehh shape. I didn't want them since they weren't up to my standards so that next spring I sold them and got a set of v703s. I had always wanted this set & thought I finally had myself the perfect set up. I called up Modbargains and went with their recommended sizes and I was NOT happy with the look. 18x8.5 35 upfront and 18x9.5 in the rear with a 45 offset. Keep in mind I'm running stock suspension with the exception of Lovells lowering springs front & rear. I love the stance. The fronts stuck out too far to the fender and the rear wheel also sat out too far for my liking. I was running a 245/40-18 Mickey Thompson Street Comp tire with these as well. Good traction but to me but a very ugly sidewall. Also when I would do a hard acceleration the tires would rub the inner fender lips in the rear and tear up the outside edge of the tires. At the time I didn't want to cut/ roll my fenders so I said screw it and got rid of them. I don't think I even put 600 miles on them. I was just so frustrated with it all I wanted to go back to a setup that I knew wouldn't give me any issues. Found an awesome set of the stock 18' wheels that I've been running for a while now but once again I want to change it up. I've been contemplating getting a set of VMR v710 in gunmetal but I want to do a 18x8.5 square set up with a 45 offset. I'm almost positive that will work without issue. But finding the correct fitment of wheels for these cars is like finding a pot of gold IMO. That's why I masking you guys. Yeah, I'm being "that guy". Sorry lol. Now for suspension. I have a brand new set of Koni shocks & struts still in the boxes that I got from Andrew @ Kollar Racing back in May. I never installed them because I was thinking of possibly going with a 19" wheel and I was almost for sure Id need a set of coil-overs to make that setup work. So I'm kinda torn. Do I go ahead and install these Koni or do I spend a bit more and get a set of BC coil-overs? I mainly want a good comfy ride too. There's so much information on different set up and I've read so much that after awhile it all runs together and I can't remember what was what. So lets say the 18x8.5 wheels with a 45 offset work. Do i keep the Koni set up or not? What would you do?

Posted a few pictures of the different wheels. I LOVE the gunmetal and Impulse Blue comb. I think it's sex. The side close up with the Hyper Silver you can see how far out the wheels stick. That's what I did not like. And the stock 18s is how it currently sits. Sorry for the long post and all the rambling. I just want to have this looking perfect.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

·
Is that FWD?
1,139 Posts
I feel your pain, I have had like 5 sets of rims on GTO, had some really heavy rims that looked good, but made car feel way slower.
I ended up with these, very light and staggered setup. Pay close attention to weight. With this new setup I shaved over 10lbs per rim/tire and also went to the staggered setup.

Also, have Lovell 350mm springs in rear with Koni shocks. I also have poly bushings in whole rear with diff insert and sub frame bushings.
The front is still on stock struts/springs. I am only at 29,500 miles as of right now. I want to replace the full front suspension soon.

Ace Alloy AFF02 Black Chrome with Pilot Sport 4S tires.
Front rim and tire 45.2 lbs. 245/35/19 19x8.5 with 45mm offset
Rear rim and tire 47.2 lbs. 275/30/19 19x9.5 with 52mm offset
20190406_161144.jpg
20200516_095533.jpg

·
Registered
249 Posts

18x9.5 +40 TSW Nurburgring on BC coilovers.

I'd say you'll be fine with the 45 offset on a 8.5 Keep the Konis. The BCs are a little harsh.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I feel your pain, I have had like 5 sets of rims on GTO, had some really heavy rims that looked good, but made car feel way slower.
I ended up with these, very light and staggered setup. Pay close attention to weight. With this new setup I shaved over 10lbs per rim/tire and also went to the staggered setup.

Also, have Lovell 350mm springs in rear with Koni shocks. I also have poly bushings in whole rear with diff insert and sub frame bushings.
The front is still on stock struts/springs. I am only at 29,500 miles as of right now. I want to replace the full front suspension soon.

Rear rim and tire 47.2 lbs. 275/30/19 19x9.5 with 52mm offset
I've got these in 20s on my DD and love em.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Rear rim and tire 47.2 lbs. 275/30/19 19x9.5 with 52mm offset View attachment 505049 View attachment 505050
i wish they were 18s, my only complain about them. they look great though, i think mavman said they arent available anymore?
I think I'm going with MRR VP5 when I get new wheels:

I seen them on this car on insta:
http://instagr.am/p/B9xB8GpHVBa/
i saw those too and like them a lot.

·
Wol Gemut
3,350 Posts
If you care about comfort, do not buy monotube coilovers of any brand, I had Pedders Supercar coilovers, the most comfortable monotube, and never got used to it. KW coilover is twin tube and is the only coilover if comfort is important to you, I do still have the Supercars on the rear where they do not impact ride comfort much and enable me to run wide tires. If not running wide tires the combination of Pedders lowering springs with Big Bore shocks is awesome. The best looking of the wheels in your pics is the stock 18s, a beautiful wheel. You could just get them widened, especially if just interested in 8.5". you would probably need coilovers to enable them to fit in the front. 19" wheels look great on these cars. I myself was only completely happy with my wheels, when I arrived at my fourth set of wheels.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

·
Is that FWD?
1,139 Posts
i wish they were 18s, my only complain about them. they look great though, i think mavman said they arent available anymore?

i saw those too and like them a lot.
I swear these 19"rims with pilot sport 4S rides better than stock 17 or 18 in rims. Ride is very soft and not harsh.

I do believe these are no longer available.

Reactions: Sacrifice

·
Buckeye Goat
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Rear rim and tire 47.2 lbs. 275/30/19 19x9.5 with 52mm offset View attachment 505049 View attachment 505050
Wow that looks incredible. I’m still on the fence for the 19” wheel tho. Sometimes I feel they look too big and sometimes they look perfect. This is a great look tho. And that black chrome really pops in the sunlight! Just looking at yours I feel I might have to get the standard height Lovells springs. I think with mine being lowered it might rub in the rear? Not a big deal to change out if I would go this route. Glad I’m not the only one who has changed wheel setups so many times lol.
My next thing is I would also like to do the cts-v brembo brake kit upgrade. Gotta make sure a set of wheels with clear those monster calipers

·
Is that FWD?
1,139 Posts
Wow that looks incredible. I’m still on the fence for the 19” wheel tho. Sometimes I feel they look too big and sometimes they look perfect. This is a great look tho. And that black chrome really pops in the sunlight! Just looking at yours I feel I might have to get the standard height Lovells springs. I think with mine being lowered it might rub in the rear? Not a big deal to change out if I would go this route. Glad I’m not the only one who has changed wheel setups so many times lol.
My next thing is I would also like to do the cts-v brembo brake kit upgrade. Gotta make sure a set of wheels with clear those monster calipers
I was also think about the cts-v or wilwood brake upgrade next too.
My black chrome looks really dark at times as well.
20190323_170055.jpg
20190323_170123.jpg

·
Buckeye Goat
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man I think that color would look awesome on my blue

·
1 of 40,757
6,498 Posts
About 100 years ago I had these 19" VB3's on my QSM.
I cracked one on my BMW and have yet to send it out to be fixed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts