LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered a set of staggered wheels this go round. I'm hoping I didnt make a bad choice. The wheel I have now look really good, so I hope these look just as good...little nervous about it to be honest. I ordered:
Flow one race spec F1 gunmetal
18x8 40mm offset 245/40/18 Nankang AS-25
18x9 45mm offset 275/35/18 Nankang AS-25

got the wheels from Tire rack and the tires from discount tire. I had no choice, Tire rack carried the wheels I wanted and discount had the tires I wanted. I have the same tires right now, and for the money, you cannot beat them. I'm impressed in how well they hook, last, ride smooth and quiet and work well in the rain.

This is the wheel. Pic copied from flow one race spec Facebook page

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm very satisfied with my Flow Ones. Enjoy! Nothing wrong with going staggered, especially with a RWD car. In combination with the offset, your rear wheels will have a more concave look than the fronts. It's a good look.

·
Is that FWD?
1,014 Posts
Those rims look nice, I just went with this staggered setup.

Ace Alloy AFF02 in Black Chrome, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.
275/30/19 in rear with 52mm offset, rear rim and tire 47.2 lbs.
245/35/19 in front with 45mm offset, front rim and tire 45.2 lbs.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I’m hoping mine are that light. These rims are like 18lbs each. I’ll have them on the car Thursday. Hopefully.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm very satisfied with my Flow Ones. Enjoy! Nothing wrong with going staggered, especially with a RWD car. In combination with the offset, your rear wheels will have a more concave look than the fronts. It's a good look.
Everything clears? What size rear tires you have?

·
Registered
275 Posts

I wish these were 18s. Love them otherwise

·
Registered
139 Posts
Everything clears? What size rear tires you have?
Front: 235/40/18 Nitto NT555 G2 on 18x8 + 42
Rear: 265/35/18 Nitto NT555 G2 on 18x9 + 45

I had to cut about 0.5" off of my rear fender lips. Fronts were fine as they come "rolled" from the factory.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Front: 235/40/18 Nitto NT555 G2 on 18x8 + 42
Rear: 265/35/18 Nitto NT555 G2 on 18x9 + 45

I had to cut about 0.5" off of my rear fender lips. Fronts were fine as they come "rolled" from the factory.
CRAP thats the same size rims and offsets that I ordered. I odered 275/35/18 for the rear. i do have a brand new fender roller tho. Guess its time to use it

·
Is that FWD?
1,014 Posts
CRAP thats the same size rims and offsets that I ordered. I odered 275/35/18 for the rear. i do have a brand new fender roller tho. Guess its time to use it
My setup doesn't rub on rears.

·
Registered
139 Posts
From the research I've done, anything bigger than a 255 width in the rear is hit or miss for rubbing without fender rolling or cutting. It's all dependent upon rim width, rim offset, tire sidewall ratio, tire brand, etc.

Also from my research, I have come up with cutting to be the best choice between the two. Lost chance of paint cracking immediately and eventually.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the research I've done, anything bigger than a 255 width in the rear is hit or miss for rubbing without fender rolling or cutting. It's all dependent upon rim width, rim offset, tire sidewall ratio, tire brand, etc.

Also from my research, I have come up with cutting to be the best choice between the two. Lost chance of paint cracking immediately and eventually.
Well I have an air body saw and i know how to use it. I'll see how it looks when I get them. The only thing about cutting is you still have a sharp edge to cut the tire if its still close enough to hit. Rolling make it less likely to cut a tire. I definitely dont want to crack my paint so I'll just have to see. Rims are supposed to be here today, tires tomorrow so its getting close. I'm excited and I havent seen a gto with these wheels either.

sidenote. I drove the car last night with the stock wheels and it feels ALOT heavier with the stock wheels. I guess the 18's i just took off were a bit lighter and the tires were less rolling resistance. I really can feel a huge negative difference right now.

Funny thing is my son said that I should have just repainted the stock wheels and rocked those and bought some welds or something for the track. I did agree at first until driving it. I can even see 2mpg less on my instant ( i pay alot of attention to it and know at what mph it gets xxmpg).

I'm hoping my new wheels dont let me down in the looks dept.

I did make a hit last night on drag radials (275/40/17 NT05R) and let me just tell you, the car is nasty. I turned it up, when it shifted to second it still roasted the drag radials down. if it dont go 10.50's i'll be highly surprised.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well I have an air body saw and i know how to use it. I'll see how it looks when I get them. The only thing about cutting is you still have a sharp edge to cut the tire if its still close enough to hit. Rolling make it less likely to cut a tire. I definitely dont want to crack my paint so I'll just have to see. Rims are supposed to be here today, tires tomorrow so its getting close. I'm excited and I havent seen a gto with these wheels either.

sidenote. I drove the car last night with the stock wheels and it feels ALOT heavier with the stock wheels. I guess the 18's i just took off were a bit lighter and the tires were less rolling resistance. I really can feel a huge negative difference right now.

Funny thing is my son said that I should have just repainted the stock wheels and rocked those and bought some welds or something for the track. I did agree at first until driving it. I can even see 2mpg less on my instant ( i pay alot of attention to it and know at what mph it gets xxmpg).

I did make a hit last night on drag radials (275/40/17 NT05R) and let me just tell you, the car is nasty. I turned it up, when it shifted to second it still roasted the drag radials down. if it dont go 10.50's i'll be highly surprised.
After cutting, clean it up using a Dremel and a grinding wheel. Then primer, base coat, and clear coat for a good seal of the bare metal.

·
Is that FWD?
1,014 Posts

I went from different set of heavy 19" to new my 19" staggered setup, they were flow formed and 10lbs lighter per rim. Stock rims/tires are 52-55lbs each. Check the weight of rims and tires. Mine feels must faster with 40lbs less rolling weight from my new setup and wider tires. Nittos are known for being heavy tires, so you might of added weight. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tire, they are about 5lbs lighter for rear and 8 for front from Nittos.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went from different set of heavy 19" to new my 19" staggered setup, they were flow formed and 10lbs lighter per rim. Stock rims/tires are 52-55lbs each. Check the weight of rims and tires. Mine feels must faster with 40lbs less rolling weight from my new setup and wider tires. Nittos are known for being heavy tires, so you might of added weight. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tire, they are about 5lbs lighter for rear and 8 for front from Nittos.
new wheels came in. jesus they are light. pics shortly. very nice wheel. paint job is kinda lacking tho. looks like the wheel was black and then misted with silver paint. The other wheels I had where the opposite, silver misted with black.

·
Powdercoat all of it
96 Posts
new wheels came in. jesus they are light. pics shortly. very nice wheel. paint job is kinda lacking tho. looks like the wheel was black and then misted with silver paint. The other wheels I had where the opposite, silver misted with black.
Sounds like a nice candidate for powder coat... :angel:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like a nice candidate for powder coat... :angel:
That thought definitely crossed my mind. But I’m too impatient. Maybe I’ll do that later.

Pics:

I thought this was neat. Probably gonna fall off tho lol.

·
Is that FWD?
1,014 Posts
They look good. My 19x8.5 came in at 20lbs and 19x19.5 was 21 lbs. Very light rims.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts