LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
CRAP thats the same size rims and offsets that I ordered. I odered 275/35/18 for the rear. i do have a brand new fender roller tho. Guess its time to use it
Just test launched my car, looks like I'll have to cut more off as they are still rubbing.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just test launched my car, looks like I'll have to cut more off as they are still rubbing.
Yea I test fit the rear this evening. I’m not too happy about how they fit. The edge of the rim lines up with the middle of the fender lip. So I’m going to cut the lip in the middle and then roll the fenders a little. That don’t work, I’ll order the $500 gforce offset outer stubs/hubs. I don’t want to, but I will to make it right.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yea I test fit the rear this evening. I’m not too happy about how they fit. The edge of the rim lines up with the middle of the fender lip. So I’m going to cut the lip in the middle and then roll the fenders a little. That don’t work, I’ll order the $500 gforce offset outer stubs/hubs. I don’t want to, but I will to make it right.
What size rim and tire were you running originally? I think by the time you cut the lip down to the halfway point, the lip will be much harder to roll. If I'm wrong, someone else chime in!

·
Powdercoat all of it
96 Posts
What size rim and tire were you running originally? I think by the time you cut the lip down to the halfway point, the lip will be much harder to roll. If I'm wrong, someone else chime in!
I'd have to know more about what is meant by "halfway point", as I haven't inspected the fender lips of a GTO before. However, if cutting is on the table, I'd cut small reliefs through the arch of the fender lip to facilitate rolling. Optimally it's done with no reliefs, which makes it a good bit harder to do. However, I've never cut reliefs and I've rolled 4 F-bodies, my Isuzu Hombre, and my 57 Belair (that was tough, no fender reinforcement!) that I can remember. I'd give the GTO a shot if I needed to.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd have to know more about what is meant by "halfway point", as I haven't inspected the fender lips of a GTO before. However, if cutting is on the table, I'd cut small reliefs through the arch of the fender lip to facilitate rolling. Optimally it's done with no reliefs, which makes it a good bit harder to do. However, I've never cut reliefs and I've rolled 4 F-bodies, my Isuzu Hombre, and my 57 Belair (that was tough, no fender reinforcement!) that I can remember. I'd give the GTO a shot if I needed to.
The fender lip at its widest is just over an inch. I could see how cutting reliefs would make it easier to roll. I'm still weary about rolling as the point it is being rolled about is technically stretching causing the paint to strain and begin to crack.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
245/40/18 18x8 40mm offset. wheel is what I had. I now have a 18x9 275/35/18 45mm offset.

I was thinking that if I cut half the width off of the lip, it would get stiffer. BUT, I wouldn’t need to roll it near as much. Think about it, if I left it full length, I would need to roll the crap out of it to even get the center part bent.....chancing cracking the paint. Hopefully I’m explaining it well enough, but just imagine having to curl up 5/8” or so of metal vs 1/8” to 1/4”. If I cut the lip down the middle, the rim lines up exactly there. So as long at the tire isn’t bulged, then any extra I roll it will help. I guess I’ll find out this evening because that’s when this party is taking place lol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
245 to 275 is a big and exciting jump!

Well think about it this way:

You have two metal pipes, they are 1/4" inch in diameter. One pipe is 1' long, the other is 6" long, both are fixed to a wall. You try to bend the 1' pipe by hand, you succeed and it bends near the middle. You try to bend the 6" pipe by hand, it is much more difficult, but you succeed. However it seems that there is much more strain on the wall (the outer part of your fender).

I hope this makes sense, I believe you will strain your fender quite a bit more if you try to roll that 0.5" lip after cutting. This is basically my knowledge from my mechanics of materials class in college regarding moments about a fixed point.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
245 to 275 is a big and exciting jump!

Well think about it this way:

You have two metal pipes, they are 1/4" inch in diameter. One pipe is 1' long, the other is 6" long, both are fixed to a wall. You try to bend the 1' pipe by hand, you succeed and it bends near the middle. You try to bend the 6" pipe by hand, it is much more difficult, but you succeed. However it seems that there is much more strain on the wall (the outer part of your fender).

I hope this makes sense, I believe you will strain your fender quite a bit more if you try to roll that 0.5" lip after cutting. This is basically my knowledge from my mechanics of materials class in college regarding moments about a fixed point.

Well you just summed it up, if it bends towards the middle being full width, that wont help me. now if i cut it, and it bends poast what the middle was originally....thats what I need. i'll wing it just like I always do. I'll try to start rolling it, if its going the way i want, no cut. if not, i'll cut.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well you just summed it up, if it bends towards the middle being full width, that wont help me. now if i cut it, and it bends poast what the middle was originally....thats what I need. i'll wing it just like I always do. I'll try to start rolling it, if its going the way i want, no cut. if not, i'll cut.
Well good luck to you sir! Make sure you have beer on hand and wear eye protection. I recommend using painters tape as your cutting line, also a cold wet towel to keep the heat down. Report back!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well good luck to you sir! Make sure you have beer on hand and wear eye protection. I recommend using painters tape as your cutting line, also a cold wet towel to keep the heat down. Report back!
hey thanks. Beer is probably not a good idea....may not cut a straight line lol. Definitely using masking tape. hand and eye protection? I'll use that after i get the first piece of metal in my eye. i'm not grinding tho, i'm using a small air body saw. and will possible even take pics while i'm doing it....if i'm in the mood :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well I was going to mount them after i got off work ( I work at a large dealership in the parts dept) but my son (works out in the shop) got some free time so he started doing them for me. He mounted the rears and I feel much better about it. The edge of the tire is even with the rim.

·
Registered
139 Posts
hey thanks. Beer is probably not a good idea....may not cut a straight line lol. Definitely using masking tape. hand and eye protection? I'll use that after i get the first piece of metal in my eye. i'm not grinding tho, i'm using a small air body saw. and will possible even take pics while i'm doing it....if i'm in the mood :)
Air saw should work great. I got metal in my eye, even wearing eye protection. Ill take some pictures too of orange sparks flying by my face in front of my orange car.

·
Registered
274 Posts
One piece of metal in my eye before and ill always wear eye protection while grinding or cutting something. Wasnt bad but got progressively worse over a weeks time to where it was so uncomfortable to open my eye. Saw the eye doctor, they pulled it out and within a minute my vision was back to normal.

·
Is that FWD?
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Ok so I decided against cutting. I rolled it. No heat. No cracking either. Just going slow. Used a rubber hammer too. Took it for a drive. Car rides much better than it did with my stock wheels. Had two people in the car with me trying to make it rub. It didn’t. So for now I’m good, and really like how it turned out. These no doubt feel at least 10lbs lighter than stock.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Nice. They look really good. Hope you dont have too much rubbing on rear fenders.
Thx. It clears. Thankfully. I’ll never have a hard launch on these wheels anyways, these tires won’t hook hard enough

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Looks great! Congrats.

Do you have an issue with rear inner tire wear with that much camber?
Oddly not at all. And I didn’t notice that till last night. Probably why it clears as good as it does. So if I get an alignment and it needs addressing, I’ll be in trouble. But, car drives 100% perfect, goes straight, hooks up decent considering the power I have (I don’t expect much and I use electronics to control it). So I probably should leave it alone. I have not noticed any different wear on the inside of the tire, but these tires I’m using are stupid cheap.

·
Powdercoat all of it
96 Posts
Is it possible the camber is just an optical illusion due to the angle of the camera? Kind of like how if you take a picture of a bracket up close, the straight holes on the outer edge of the shot look angled, though they're straight up and down? I wonder if your camber is really all that bad. May be worth putting a nut on a string on the side of your fender to eyeball it. But that's only if you care. I have the same cheap tires, so uneven wear doesn't mean much to me either. ;)

21 - 40 of 55 Posts