LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am expecting a set of 18" wheels in the 10 days. Does anyone konow if I will need to do a front end wheel alignment.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
04bluegto said:
you should it when i had 15" then went to 20" on my blazer i had no problem if the tire/rim size is about the same saying you got a smaller tire on the bigger rim you should be fine. hey cnard where you from im from westchester,IL
04blueGTO,

Thanks for the info on front end alignments. I'm going to keep the overall tire and wheel height size the same, but I am going to a 81/2 '' width.
I live in Bloomingdale, IL. Just Northwest of you.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
A word about tires and wheels

Just two things.

This is really important! Heard from the Techs at Clay Chevrolet through my buddy Mike to be very careful and NOT use the wrong bolt pattern (5x4 3/4) lug cone seat wheels. They appear to fit, and the cone seat lugs center them seemingly okay. They should even balance out in the shop. After a few days (depending on how you drive, harder sooner, softer later) the uneven seat pressures on the wheels at the conical lug nut seats will start cracks in the hub radiating from them towards the center of the wheels eventually causing wheel failure, and the bend rather than simple sheer stress on the studs themselves caused by the improper seat may cause one or more to fail per wheel.

The second thing is just a cautionary. There is a very good article on tire and wheel sizing in the new May Motor Trend with the Goat vs. Benz article. See page 134. Food for thought. I don't forsee any problem with most 17 or 18 inch combos that weigh less. The Monaro comes with 18's. Pontiac specced the 17's for additional sidewall protection for our roads, but left the chassis tune alone. I think it was mistermike that pointed out that rubber weighs less than aluminum, and inertia and unsprung weight affect handling. Adding weight here is going to subtract somewhere else. It's an individual decision. The more facts and information we all have before making one, the happier we'll be, and less likely to blame the car if there is a giveback.

Just my .02 cents. Don't want to see anyone hurt or unhappy, or 'bent' Goats... ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
you have all gathered i hope that the stud pattern on the GTO is 5 on 120 which is metric and the wheel nuts are 12x1.5 thread pattern which is also metric.the wheel nuts are 19mill head. any change to a different wheel or tyre size should also incorporate a wheel alignment, even if its just for your own peace of mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts