LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to put some gears in the car. The stock gears are way too long in 3/4/5th gears. All my power is in the top of the power band 4.5l-7k so I am wondering about this gear stuff. I have another vehicle to drive but I prefer to drive the GTO to work on my 60mile round trip commute. I spend 90% of my trip in 6th gear cruising along at about 2k rpm. This equates to about 80ish mph. I normally drive at 70-80mph so how short can I make the gears and still be in the 200-2500rpm range while cruising along on the highway? I am also wondering how much of a difference the gears make at the track when 1/4mi et's and mph is concerned. I see that 4.11 gears seem to be too short as what I've found in searching. 3.73's will get the job done but I'm wondering if the 3.91's might be a good comprimise. Please all input is appreciated.

Dougie

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i would talk to Billygoatgruff. he is the first person to do gears. i dunno if anybody else has gotten theirs on yet.
you can run a search for "gear" or "gears". and read some of the stuff he has already posted.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
It's interesting - reading on ls1tech most of the guys who do gears were very impressed with the overall gearing of the GTO because it's similar to what the f-body / vette guys end up with for cars that are driven regularly on the street.
As far as changing goes, I know I've seen links to some online gear ratio calculators - but I've never paid much attention because I'm good with stock - unless I break something ;)
Dan

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
My 3.73's go in next week. I estimate 3-tenths at the track (which, incidentally will put me in the 11's all-motor :cool: ). Highway cruising at 70 should be under 2200, which is acceptable. Of course, I'm an A4 - M6 guys might be able to go with the 3.91's since you have two overdrives.

Shag Finger has a gear calculator or something like it on his site - might check that.

Padre

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
I commute in my car once or twice a week. The 3.91's are no problem what so ever. Drive just as you do, between 70-80, depending upon traffic. Never much above 2700 rpm at 80 mph. I believe that the 4.11 gears would be just to tall. It doesn't matter if 3.73 or 3.91 gears are put in, the only thing that matters is how much funner it is to drive the car based on the stock 3.46's. Wouldn't go back even thought the gas milage would be better. Getting 270-320 miles to each tank which is down from the 320-370 I was getting. But who cares, its only money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts