LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m very new to the GTO world, I’ve been a Camaro owner for life until this year. I decided after years of Fbody Z28 ownership that I was tired of the poor quality all around the car. The leaks, the inability to drive through the car wash, my dash began to literally shatter this year, I loved the LS1 to death and still do, which is why I traded my 2000 automatic Z28 with 186000 miles for a 2004 M6 GTO. It has 122k, BC racing suspension components, an 05 rear bumper with stainless works cat back. (Which I want to replace with slp lm with SW headers eventually)

I’ve done some research on common issues and overall the car is in great shape with suspension issues handled already, I’ve got the Russel fuel line on the way should be here by Thursday.
What I didn’t realize was the phantom horn gremlin until I was driving away from the lot, noticed the relay was missing so stopped and popped a new one in and shortly after had to stop and pull it due to the constant blaring horn. So any advice on that issue would be greatly appreciated! Lol I am going to pull the glove box and check the wires behind this weekend.

also didn’t realize getting new key fobs would be an issue as I didn’t even have a fob for the Camaro.Both of the ones I have for the GTOwork but are missing the rubber buttons so it’s kinda a pain to operate.

Overall I’m extremely happy with my decision. The GTO feels so much better all around and I know it’s a little late to get into an 04 but I absolutely love the car.

I don’t plan on building it into a monster, just new exhaust, headers, maybe a cam down the road but nothin crazy. To me it’s a car that I just want to drive and have some fun in, not into spending insane money to let it sit in a garage.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,823 Posts
Welcome. I'm resisting the urge to crap on your red underglow as that's a nice looking GTO with 122k miles. :p
Black roof on a red car is a nice touch.
Looks like you need to upgrade from those 04 brakes next. You know you want Brembos...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome. I'm resisting the urge to crap on your red underglow as that's a nice looking GTO with 122k miles. :p
Looks like you need to upgrade from those 04 brakes next. You know you want Brembos...
Ha thanks for holding off! Previous owner installed them; not sure if they’re staying yet. And of course I would love a Brembo upgrade! Definitly one of the first to dos

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
967 Posts
WOW! I love that car...the light up "GTO" in the bumper insert. The previous owner did some nice upgrades to it.
If you're ever thinking of doing the '05/'06 brake upgrade, it's a direct swap and you'll have vastly improved braking. If you do decide to do it, the front caliper will sit at the 9 O'Clock (driver) / 3 O'Clock (pass) position. It might look a little weird to some, but so what.

I used to have 'birds back in the day ('91 T/A vert and a '00 Firebird) and I was curious as to YOUR opinion of the GTO's seats?

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

·
GR-RRR!
13,957 Posts
If you do decide to do it, the front caliper will sit at the 9 O'Clock (driver) / 3 O'Clock (pass) position. It might look a little weird to some, but so what.
That's where the calipers typically sit on all 04-06 GTOs so it's not really weird in the GTO world at least. They actually sit more at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha thanks for holding off! Previous owner installed them; not sure if they’re staying yet.
WOW! I love that car...the light up "GTO" in the bumper insert. The previous owner did some nice upgrades to it.
If you're ever thinking of doing the '05/'06 brake upgrade, it's a direct swap and you'll have vastly improved braking. If you do decide to do it, the front caliper will sit at the 9 O'Clock (driver) / 3 O'Clock (pass) position. It might look a little weird to some, but so what.

I used to have 'birds back in the day ('91 T/A vert and a '00 Firebird) and I was curious as to YOUR opinion of the GTO's seats?
ive owned an 02 WS6 an 02 Z28 and my brother had an 87 TA when I was in highschool. I have never sat in a more comfortable seat than this GTO. never been a fan of leather seats I’ll admit, but the overall interior on this car just feels right to me. I actually enjoy cruising down the highway in my GTO more than my Camaros and the seats do play a factor in that.
and thanks for the tip on the brakes, I didn’t know it was a direct swap, makes it easy

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
967 Posts
I actually enjoy cruising down the highway in my GTO more than my Camaros and the seats do play a factor in that.
and thanks for the tip on the brakes, I didn’t know it was a direct swap, makes it easy
Not a problem on the tip (though I stand corrected on the wheel position. Rich (Tri-Power) was correct.

This forum is still pretty active (as far as forums go) and has a TON of info. If you need something or advice, this is a great resource. Welcome to the herd!!!

Reactions: Mitch04

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ebay has some cheap key fob covers. If your keys work fine then you can just replace the rubber button pad that is worn out. My 04 had bright dash lights and GM had a recall/fix for that issue if you ever notice parts of the dash lights seem really bright.

Nice GTO.

·
GR-RRR!
13,957 Posts
Ebay has some cheap key fob covers. If your keys work fine then you can just replace the rubber button pad that is worn out. My 04 had bright dash lights and GM had a recall/fix for that issue if you ever notice parts of the dash lights seem really bright.

Nice GTO.
The 04 overly-bright MPH indicator problem can also be fixed using the VZClusterMod.

·
GR-RRR!
13,957 Posts
Can that mod be used to set certain temps the radiator fan turns on?
No. It can be used to recalibrate the temp gauge, but to control when the fans turn on I think you need to get into the ECU and this application doesn't touch that. I do think there is only so far you can go with when to turn on the fans. Someone with tuning experience could probably elaborate more on this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts