LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a lot of you have the NGK TR55 plugs and Taylor 10.4 Wires. I priced them at one of the sponsors and it seems like a good first inexpensive mod. I've never modded anything and an concerned that by changing one or two parts that others are going to be affected negatively. What is the upside of these plugs and wires and what is the downside? Thanks.

·
Sold 5/2/09
657 Posts
I don't think you're going to gain anything by switching the wires other than looks. The factory wires are excellent... and it's not like the spark is traveling very far anyway.

They seem to be very popular in this GTO croud though...

The NGK TR55 is probably the most popular LS1 plug. The downside to them is the replacment is more like a 20-30K mile interval as opposed to the factories 100k mile tune up.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Gains are not something you can feel per se. Still a good set of wires is worth some money as well as some cheap plugs. The wire is short and the OE does fine, but like anything the OE just does ok and getting a solid set means no worries regardless of mods. I like checking my plugs every once and a while to look for condition, oil, etc. so switching to NKG TR55 is a popular thing for people that want to work on there motor.

PLugs and wires is purely a personal thing and not required even though a ton of us did it. Another thing to consider is this gives you a chance to check the factory gap on the plugs.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I have uninstalled all the mods I did to my car EXCEPT the plugs and wires. This one simple mod made the most NOTICEABLE difference in my car's performance. The engine idles smoother and accelerates smoother. Perhaps it is simply a matter of perception, but my point is that I PERCEIVED more of a change with this mod than any other.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
agreed, when i put new wires on my grand am (before she was killed) it was like night and day, the engine was a lot smoother, so i am going to do the same for my gto....

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Mikesan said:
I notice a lot of you have the NGK TR55 plugs and Taylor 10.4 Wires. I priced them at one of the sponsors and it seems like a good first inexpensive mod. I've never modded anything and an concerned that by changing one or two parts that others are going to be affected negatively. What is the upside of these plugs and wires and what is the downside? Thanks.

I agree with Demonspeed. The spark does not go far at all. I talked with a sponsor and asked about the 8mm up to the 10.4 and he said the same thing. For such a short distance there is very minimal differences. He basically told me to go with the Taylor Spiro-Pros and the TR55s which cost the same as the MSD wires by themselves. Of course, you make the final decision on what you want!

·
Sold 5/2/09
657 Posts
Adam4356 said:
Another thing to consider is this gives you a chance to check the factory gap on the plugs.
That's my main reason for switching.

I'll also add that I like the Taylor 10.4's because they are so meaty :cool: But again, I don't think ignition upgrades on a stock/mildly modded car are going to do anything unless the ones you have right now are failed.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It's not a HP mod. It's a smoother idle, better throttle response mod. The stockers are good for OEM, but not the best. I solely chose the Taylor 10.4's because they came in blue. Otherwise, I'd have stuck with MSD wires as I actually like them better.

I think the stockers measure some 300 -330 ohms/ft of resistance. Most aftermarket units are about 10% of that.

The TR55's burn easier. The stockers are platinum. Platinum metal resists firing moreso, which is why they are *meant* to last 100,000 miles. The TR55's are a softer metal, more condusive to firing (stronger and easier), but as a consequence, wear quicker.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Hadn't it been mentioned on here many months ago that at some point during production the OE plugs were switched to iridium, same as the 55s?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
They may. Spark plugs are taken out of a big box when assembling an engine. One day that box could be filled with AC Delco's, the next NGK's, then back.

I've seen many motors come with either AC or NGK plugs.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Copper.

I'm not fully versed on iridium metals. My guess is that it's a metal trying to offer more longevity of a platinum with the performance of a copper. Once again, just my guess.

I do know from metals class, that copper and gold are soft, very condusive metals. In which case they transmit a stronger electrical charge.

Conversely, platinum is a hard metal that isn't as condusive to transmitting a charge.

All metal hold an electrical charge, but some such as platinum being harder, offer more resistance, therefore reduce that charge transmission.

That's the best I can explain it anyway.

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
On the NGK's what gap should we use?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Stock is .060. I usually go .050 - .060.

If you're running N2O, S/C, turbo, etc, I would consider going closer to .040 - .050 to reduce possible blow out.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Well, according to this page, the increased strength of Iridium (~8x more than Platinum as listed but I'm not sure how the pressure thing relates to material strength - I'm an EE, not an ME) lets you use a smaller electrode, and it's decreased resistance (as compared to Platinum) leads to less energy being needed to produce a spark.

And according to this website, the Bosch plugs have "yttrium" ground electrodes, which is a material I've never heard of but I'll look it up and see what I find.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Interesting! :)

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
phobos512 said:
And according to this website, the Bosch plugs have "yttrium" ground electrodes, which is a material I've never heard of but I'll look it up and see what I find.
Well, they're really working the s**t out of that end of the Periodic Table aren't they. I've got my dubnium plugs on order.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Did they ever get an official name for unununium? :gr_jest: That was the unofficial name for Element 111.

·
Registered
131 Posts
get them!!!! they look great and the engine feels smoother. I used goof-off to get rid of the white printing and now they look even better. Best 60 bucks you'll spend on your goat.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts