LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried the ix(iridium) version. Any feedback good or bad. I know they cost about 5 bucks more per plug and I was wondering if they are worth it.

Also, a few of you have the 160* T-stat, where did you get it. They are on back-order everywhere I've tried. Or are you using one made for the f-bods?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The IX plug would put you back pretty close to the OEM Delco plug which is made by NGK. Most folks, including myself, seems to like the plain Jane copper TR55 gapped a little wider than stock. Also, gapping iridium plugs is risky business.

The correct T-stat depends on your production/VIN. Search the thermostat threads.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that the ix was suppose to be better. So just go for the regulars huh.

my vin end with 194,xxx I think its the one piece thermo. But where to find it in stock.

Thanks for the info mister. :)

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Copper is a softer metal and as such conducts electricity better. better conductivity leads to a stronger spark, a stronger park when exposed to atomized fuel will combust it more completely. Conversely, they don't last as long as that stronger spark wears them away quicker.

How do you think GM (and the other manufacturer's) claim to get a 100,000 miles on a set of plugs? While I wouldn't wait that long, they go to a considerably harder metal, that resists burning, all of which leads to less electrical power being delivered. Iridium is a similar hard metal.

If you want longevity, leave the stockers in and change them as a normal maintance item (certainly not the 100k please). Otherwise, you're wasting your money on the ix's at this point in time. No performance gain to be had.

If you want performance, go with the regular TR55's.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How often should the tr55's be changed?

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Normal routine maintance.

I do mine every 10k, but I'm anal retentive. Usually 25-30k would be normal.

·
GOAT!
99 Posts
I just bought the TR55iX for my 2006 LS2 - are these the right plug ?!?!?!

·
Loves Lowjo
2,401 Posts
I just bought the TR55iX for my 2006 LS2 - are these the right plug ?!?!?!
How many different threads are you going to ask this in!? :damnyou:

To the OP: Stick to iridiums for N/A. Just my 02. I tried TR-55s and Autolites on the dyno and it killed my ignition, resulted in a net loss of about 20rwhp/tq. My car loves the stock delco iridiums.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Because iridium is so hard, it allows an incredibly fine electrode, which gives better spark than you can get from copper plugs.
On the dyno, my GTO with stock iridiums that had 19K miles, put out more power than it did with a brand new set of copper plugs. I repeat, even though they had 19k miles, they outperformed a brand new set of copper plugs!
People can spout off all kinds of bull$hit about copper plugs, but I prefer to listen to what the dyno says.

·
GOAT!
99 Posts
How many different threads are you going to ask this in!? :damnyou:

To the OP: Stick to iridiums for N/A. Just my 02. I tried TR-55s and Autolites on the dyno and it killed my ignition, resulted in a net loss of about 20rwhp/tq. My car loves the stock delco iridiums.

ok still didnt answer my question so i will continue to ask in other posts :secret::secret:

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Even though this is a really really really old thread (kudos for searching!), I'm putting NGK TR55IX in my 408 for next weekend's run at Pinks. I had been running Copper TR6's.

Padre

·
Registered
34 Posts
I havent had my GTO long so I dont know about the plugs in them but I have seen many cars pick up HP on the dyno with NGK ix plugs especially forced induction at low gaps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts