LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Porch Dick
20,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...I just did the most thorough cleaning I have done on a car EVER. I am one to clean my GTO quite often, I just, unfortunately, don't seem to ever have the opportunity to ever get the whole car on the same page by detailing everything properly. Working retail, being in Texas heat, and not having a garage can do that. Usually its claybar and wax, with a quick wash of the wheels and tires. Or it is vaccuming, cleaning, conditioning, protecting the interior, with just a detail spray on the outside...you get the idea. This time I went at it at around 10:45 p.m. and put the last of the products where they belong at 5:30 a.m. I actually did all of this (kind in this order)
1. Washed
2. Clayed
3. Polished
4. Waxed
5. Toothbrush cleaned the wheels (though I didn't get as far inside of the wheel as I needed to)
6. Cleaned the tires
7. Inside and outside window cleaning
8. Cleaned/conditioned the leather
9. Armorall the interior
10. Vaccum
11. Cleaned the engine/engine bay
12. Probably some other stuff that I am too tired to think of

I do all of these things fairly regularly (particularly the exterior treatment), but this was the first time they were all done at once. I do need to go to a car-wash to use one of those big vaccums, as my handy-vac started to lose suction. Anyways, here are some pictures! Had to use my crappy Sony point 'n shoot, the digital SLR is unavailable right now, so quality is kind of low. Opinions are very welcome.

A look at my working conditions...

Even the tips got a little love from the clay and polish!

One "creative" picture that would have looked great with a decent camera.

·
I love my Goat!
5,963 Posts
Nice color!

·
04 A4
496 Posts
did you use a tire shine? if so, you need a new brand as the one currently doesnt look that good. anyway, nice pics.

·
Porch Dick
20,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GT_Owned said:
did you use a tire shine? if so, you need a new brand as the one currently doesnt look that good. anyway, nice pics.
Yeah, this was kind of frustrating. I had some pretty good stuff that you rub in to the tires, but couldn't find it anywhere. Had to go with some spray stuff that turned out kind of crummy.

·
bananas
7,356 Posts
Very nice, I just slapped a coat of wax on mine yesterday. I am just like you , never have time to do anything all at once.

And if you notice, what color GTOs have all posted in your thread?! haha

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Came out very nice. I just did my fiance's torrid on Sunday. Took about 6 hours.

If I could suggest one thing though. Go over those wheel wells again.

All in all great job ...especially under those conditions :)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Very nice! May I suggest cleaning your wheel wells, and the inside of your wheels too! It will make all the difference! Trust me. ;)

·
Porch Dick
20,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the toothbrush back to the inside of the wheels, so that it taken care of. I tried to wash the wheel wells, but didn't get the desired results. Thanks for the comments. The finish on the paint now is stunning.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Looks great. ( I had to post just b.c of the color!)

On an off note, it sounds like you clay a lot. I didn't think that it needed to be done often, especially if you use quality wax (or polish:Zaino :ftw: )

·
Porch Dick
20,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well...the clay part really isn't done that much. I think twice over my first 4 months of ownership. The first was right away, and this time was because I was going to spend the time. I was more referring to the other steps that I frequently do. By the way, your hood looks fantastic. I'm not a fan of that style normally, but your paint scheme makes it happen. I just painted my grilles too.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The inside of the wheels in this picture looks dirty to me. Did you clean them after?

·
Need A Little Beethoven?
5,639 Posts
Gorgeous car.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
lol man i'm so jealous. i wish my driving record wasn't so bad. i don't have the guts to drive a car that has any color to it

·
Porch Dick
20,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lord Vador said:
The inside of the wheels in this picture looks dirty to me. Did you clean them after?
QUOTE]

I got back in there and did some more cleaning, but couldn't get them as clean as I wanted. Kind of open to suggestions in that area.

Hutnek, I have to agree...painted grilles or bust for the TR's!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts