LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I confess, I have bouts of "road rage." While casually cruising through downtown city streets, a Nissan Altima 3.5 zoomed up to my rear and zipped around me to beat me to the next light. Not taking the bait, I eased up to the red light and waited. It was my intent to ease off the line and see what he had in mind. The light turned green and Mr. Nissan barked off the line and immediately changed lanes to get in front of me. Not only did he change lanes in the middle of an intersection, but his tail end came maddeningly close to the nose of my Goat.

Are you familiar with that "dropped stomach" sensation that precedes anger? I felt it. At the next light, Mr. Nissan moved right again, which was definitely a challenge. The two lanes merge into the left lane just 500 feet further. Upon reflection, I realize I reacted childishly. The light turned green, he floored it, I floored it... and I broke traction... badly... he got the jump on me and I was bouncing off the rev limiter trying to make up time. It was going to be a game of chicken until an SUV pulled out of a side street in front of us. I immediately shut down, but Mr. Nissan proceeded on, speeding around the back of the SUV, who's driver was wide eyed with surprise.

At this point I was in full fledged "road rage" and determined to teach Mr. Nissan a lesson. I was hoping he would take the next right hand turn, a sweeping right-handed uphill on-ramp to the Interstate. He did, and I followed, too close to his bumper, I admit.

As soon as we hit the acceleration lane, I did exactly that. From 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th, I was redlined, but thankfully no longer bumping that rev limiter. I shot past him on his left, ignored the "overspeed warning" and hit 130+ MPH before checking my rearview to see he was way behind me.
I backed off, moved right, and waited for him to do his "fly by". I waved mockingly as he shot past.

We both exited the Interstate at the shopping mall, and I pulled beside him at the light and put my window down. I was ready for a fight, but he was smiling and simply said, "That's a pretty fast car you have!" My anger was diffused and I responded, "Yeah... it sure is." I drove off and that was that.

The moral of the story is... I'm an idiot. It wasn't the Nissan who needed a lesson in humility... it was me. I lost control of my emotions and reacted foolishly and dangerously. My cruise was ruined and I took the GTO home, embarrassed and literally sick to my stomach. I haven't tached the car over 3000 RPM since.

I took a Father's Day morning cruise to buy gas and parts for an oil change. I babied the car like you wouldn't believe and managed over 20 MPG in city driving (very light traffic.) My GTO is on the carport now, with exactly 6000 miles on the odometer. (I swear it's true. I'll take a pic.) The oil is draining and I have 10W30 Mobil 1 and a new filter waiting to be installed.

Quite frankly, I am afraid to drive. Just because I have 350 HP doesn't mean I have to use it. If I cannot resist the taunts of the uninformed, I have no business being on the street. I am not a "professional driver on a closed course." This episode reminds me of a very important fact of life...

We who are not humble, are humiliated.

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Well atleast you passed him!! :) I have been in the same boat before. I am pretty sure that is why it is illegal to have guns in the car. I know I would have shot someone by now!!!

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Florit, that was a very mature post. We do learn from our mistakes... and it sounds to me like you have.

Thank you for sharing this... hopefully others learn too!

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Don't feel so bad man.......I get that way sometimes......There are these people out there that are truly idiots and they piss you off.....its hard to ignore sometimes. The gun thing is also true.....I am glad I don't have one......I do have road rage but its usually only stirred up by some complete @sshole with no regard for anyone.

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Huntress said:
Florit, that was a very mature post. We do learn from our mistakes... and it sounds to me like you have.

Thank you for sharing this... hopefully others learn too!
Well stated Huntress.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Instant maniac....just add 350HP.
I know the feeling, bud. Good job of recovering your judgement.

·
Comp Eliminator Goat Driver
2,345 Posts
"Those that do not learn from their mistakes are destined to repeat them" We all make mistakes, the object is to learn. You are big enough to have learned. Peace my Friend.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
With great power also comes great responsibility. I always equate this having an extensive training in martial arts ( I have a black belt in tae-kwon-do) or being very proficient with a legally concealed Glock 19 handgun. Just because you are armed doesn't mean you have to employ your weapons at every opportunity. Sometimes, the best recourse is not too fight at all.

So everytime I turn on that iginition, I respect what the "LS1" sticker on top of the throttle body stands for.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Man i could visualize that after reading your story. I've had situations like that before and that road rage feeling is no joke. Everyone makes the worst choices when in full rage mode.

Glad you walked away from that one with your health, license, and your goat.

·
NFC Champs
883 Posts
Adam4356 said:
Man i could visualize that after reading your story. I've had situations like that before and that road rage feeling is no joke. Everyone makes the worst choices when in full rage mode.

Glad you walked away from that one with your health, license, and your goat.
Agreed. I too get road rage like no other...it sucks but typically I can't help it. As long as everyone else drives politely, I'm the nicest guy on the road, but as soon as someone pisses me off, I'll make them pay, similar to the fashion FLORIT did.

I have many accounts of my foolish behavior, but won't bore you guys with the details :drink:

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
you are not alone florit. i struggled with those demons myself from time to time. it's kind of like fighting. what seemed so important at one moment doesn't look like it in retrospect, especially if something goes wrong and can leave those with a conscience feeling sick after. i've been pretty good since i had an incident a few years back and i think of it whenever i power up the GTO. a girl and i had a back and forth finger waving, stopping, racing event and someone called it into the local police. they came to visit me and even tho we both acted like idiots the big man took the brunt over the poor little girl. the moral is not to do things in anger. anger is a worse mediator of action than sex is.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Well that story took a turn, unexpected at that. Starting with the title to where you are the one learning a lesson in humility. They say time heals all wounds. In this case I hope you do not heal completely, otherwise you may repeat that day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good post. Say it has happened to most of us at some time.
I am an "active" driver, not just a cruiser. I drive a lot of miles, and find it necessary to flash lights, pass on the right, and other such bad behaviors to get around cell phone users, book readers, (yes, people read books and steer) and others operating a vehicle while unconscious.
It is often them getting pissed at me for not wanting to just ride behind them; they get aggressive. I hear the lesson, it is up to me to be the humble one.
There use to be an ad campaign years ago about defensive driving stating "he was right, dead right"! Not careful and that is how it ends.
Good judgement in the end Florit! All be safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts