LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have read everything that I can find on here on this topic and I have found some very conflicting information. From what I hear the Nitto's run small, so have we all agreed that the Nitto NT-555's and NT-555R's in a 275/40/17 will fit the stock wheels and wheel wells in the rear only with no rubbing and no fitment problems if you run about 35psi?

Furthermore, are the 555R's safe for daily driving? Good wet traction?

Does anybody have just the 555's? How sticky are these? I am very nervous about everyday driving on drag radials. I don't mind that I will have to replace them about once a year, I am more concerned with safety, I have never had drag radials before.

After all the back and forth on this topic what is the general consensus that everybody came to on 275/40/17 Nitto's on the rear?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
BlueSuperGoat said:
Ok, I have read everything that I can find on here on this topic and I have found some very conflicting information. From what I hear the Nitto's run small, so have we all agreed that the Nitto NT-555's and NT-555R's in a 275/40/17 will fit the stock wheels and wheel wells in the rear only with no rubbing and no fitment problems if you run about 35psi?

Furthermore, are the 555R's safe for daily driving? Good wet traction?

Does anybody have just the 555's? How sticky are these? I am very nervous about everyday driving on drag radials. I don't mind that I will have to replace them about once a year, I am more concerned with safety, I have never had drag radials before.

After all the back and forth on this topic what is the general consensus that everybody came to on 275/40/17 Nitto's on the rear?
I think you'd be lucky if you had a 3x a year replacement schedule on drag radials for daily drivers. I doubt very much that you're not going to get 10,000mi+ out of the 555Rs.

I personally think you'd be better off just getting two rear wheels and mounting those with drag radials and keeping regular 555s on a full set.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I've got regular 555's not DR's. I haven't gotten any rub with 275's in the back on my car. Previous owner of tires/wheels (traded his car) said he got a rub 1 time under rather extreme circumstances. There seems to be a little variation in body alignment, so if your'e close to the edge, there might be slight differences between individual cars. Wet traction is good, a tad noisy, but nothing obnoxious. Overall very happy. They grip like nobody's business. It's much harder to break the rears loose. I haven't really pushed the cornering ability.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Nittos don't exactly run small per se but just right on, as opposed to BFG DRs that run bigger than marked or so i've heard.

Daily driving DRs is nuts IMO. Going with dry performance tire in wet is OK, but nothing that great. It's a toss up depending on how much driving you are doing in bad weather. A dry only compound will hydroplane easy, get no traction at take off, and step out quickly if pushed in even the slightest wet.

·
Sold 5/2/09
657 Posts
Adam4356 said:
Nittos don't exactly run small per se but just right on, as opposed to BFG DRs that run bigger than marked or so i've heard.

Daily driving DRs is nuts IMO. Going with dry performance tire in wet is OK, but nothing that great. It's a toss up depending on how much driving you are doing in bad weather. A dry only compound will hydroplane easy, get no traction at take off, and step out quickly if pushed in even the slightest wet.
That's not true with the Nitto's. I know for a fact that my Nitto's hook BETTER in the rain than my Goodyear F1's did. I have other friends that run the Nitto's as well and would say the same thing. The tread pattern is made for all circumstances, whereas a BFG or M/T DR really doesn't take much rain into consideration. If you're looking at a DR for your daily driver, I would highly reccomend the Nitto's - take this from somone who runs them everyday in everything but snow.

The only thing you are compromising by running drag radials every day is the tread life.

FWIW - If I happen to trade my SS for an 04, I'm keeping my DRs and throwing them on the GTO right away.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My g/f runs 315/35-17 Nittos on a 17x10.5 rim on the back of her Camaro, and its quite solid in the rain. Its a pretty impressive wet weather tire.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
demonspeed said:
That's not true with the Nitto's. I know for a fact that my Nitto's hook BETTER in the rain than my Goodyear F1's did. I have other friends that run the Nitto's as well and would say the same thing. The tread pattern is made for all circumstances, whereas a BFG or M/T DR really doesn't take much rain into consideration. If you're looking at a DR for your daily driver, I would highly reccomend the Nitto's - take this from somone who runs them everyday in everything but snow.

The only thing you are compromising by running drag radials every day is the tread life.

FWIW - If I happen to trade my SS for an 04, I'm keeping my DRs and throwing them on the GTO right away.
I appreciate the input. However I have one question. You say the only thing I would be giving up is tread life. With the Nitto 555R's how many miles of daily driving can I really expect to get out of them? I know they say 15,000 but what is more realistic in your experience? Thanks.

·
Sold 5/2/09
657 Posts
Brains said:
My g/f runs 315/35-17 Nittos on a 17x10.5 rim on the back of her Camaro, and its quite solid in the rain. Its a pretty impressive wet weather tire.
My buddy also runs the 315 Nitto's on his 89 TT IROC. He has never complained either.

BlueSuperGoat said:
I appreciate the input. However I have one question. You say the only thing I would be giving up is tread life. With the Nitto 555R's how many miles of daily driving can I really expect to get out of them? I know they say 15,000 but what is more realistic in your experience? Thanks.
It totally depends on what you're doing with the car. I say 10K miles might be more realistic if you take it to the track and actually heat the tires up. I have a friend with a 99 WS6 who got them back in the spring and they need replaced already to pass inspection. The nice thing about the DRs is once the tread is gone, they're still sticky which makes them perfect for a track only tire :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts