LS1GTO Forums banner

NJ emissions bullshit

5K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Slightly.Above.Average 
#1 · (Edited)
My GTO's last inspection was May of 2016. I decided I should get it inspected since I can finally drive it.

I have now failed inspection 3 times.

o2 sensors not ready
o2 sensors heater not ready

I searched and read previous people that had this issue, but nobody ever bothers to post up a follow up with a solution.

I did the "drive cycle". Now I'm driving around with a rejected sticker to put unnecessary miles on the car, so that it can pass the bullshit emission inspection.

GTO is a 2004, manual swapped, SD tuned, Kooks LTs, Kooks hi-flow cats.
Is there a trick to this I'm not aware of. Should I drive it every day for a week (fingers crossed it lasts that long) and do the proper "drive cycle" each day?

Also, I don't have A/C. My condenser lines were mangled during my first cam install. (The shop and I settle things years ago, but I haven't bothered getting a new condenser.)

smurfing ridiculous

See less See more
#12 ·
I did this and passed NYS inspection:
I dont remember if I turned off COT. I should probably check.

I followed this (from):

To disable COT and the Rear O2s:

Engine, Fuel Control, COT, Lean Cruise, Cat Over Temp Protection:
COT - Set to Disabled
Engine Diag, General, Catalyst:

Catalyst Test - Set to Disabled
Post O2, Post O2 Test - Set to Disabled

Engine Diag, DTCs:
Set all the below DTCs to Error Mode "3 - No Error reported".

P0036
P0054
P0056
P0060

P0137
P0138
P0140
P0141
P0157
P0158
P0160
P0161

P0420
P0430

P2A01
P2A04

Still had to drive some miles for all tests to be performed.

#13 ·
Crap, I missed the SD tune part. Those monitors will never set in an SD tune unless the ones that are not completing are set to "no error reported".

Don't believe there is any other way around it.

#20 · (Edited)
I bought mine from HP Tuners directly, I don't think they distribute to anyone else? Bought the MPVI2, did not spend the extra $$$ for Pro. Bought 2 credits so that I could tune my GTO. There is tons of stuff on the internet on howto. I learned slowly over the course of about 3 months Started with the simple stuff and added complexity. Sometimes you just need someone to walk you thru the basics in 10-15mins. Since I was born and raised in NJ (might explain a few things) I would be happy to help you get started via some phone discussion.

Step 1: Download the latest version of HP Tuner Suite from their website. You will get the VCM Tuner Editor and VCM Logger/Scanner
Step 2: Find a Stock 2004 GTO (I assume that's your year) tune that someone has posted online. Better yet I'll attach one for you to play with.
Step 3: Read that tune into the VCM Tuner Editor and start playing with it. You can do a lot of learning without spending a nickel.
Step 4: Once you purchase the MPVI2 from HP Tuners you'll be able to read the current tune from your car and start comparing it to stock to see what changes where made to convert it to SD, your tuner might even be kind enough to email you the latest tune he built for you.
Step 5: Concentrate on searching the internet on what settings need to be in the ENGINE DIAGNOSTICS section of the tune to fix your O2 trouble code problem.

Attachments

#22 ·
Few things:
1) You can get HP Tuners from numerous vendors. Doesn’t really make a difference where though as the prices are all set by HP Tuners.
2) You really should not be tuning a car from scratch without the Pro version as you need the Pro version to integrate a wide band. Tuning without a wide band is a horrible thing to do; especially any WOT tuning. Making small adjustments via logging the trims is OK, but that’s about it.

#23 · (Edited)
I had excellent success tuning with a single wideband with the AEM system without needing PRO. The AEM system installs with a pigtail on the OBDII port and then the MPVI2 plugs into that. VCM Scanner reads the lambda signal just fine. Bought the AEM system direct from HP Tuners. You do need PRO if you want to read 2 widebands at the same time. Here is a screen shot of a 3rd gear pull followed by a brief 4th gear pull. Lambda is tracking real close to my .885 target.

Attachments

#24 ·
Woah, when did that AEM system come out? I've the Ballenger Motorsports AFR500 and needed the Pro version to integrate it. I also have the older HP Tuners MVPI Pro.

#25 ·
A little over a year ago I think. It's nice to have the lambda gauge in the pillar pod too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.