LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2004 with 72,000 miles.

I was driving my on I-75 in 90 degree heat, in a construction zone, with stop and go traffic. And then I lost clutch pedal pressure, had to pull over, and got towed.
I thought maybe I lost fluid or was low on fluid but the reservoir only took a little fluid, and none of that would go down when I pumped the clutch.
After finally finding the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder, I cracked it open to see if that would relieve pressure and allow fluid to flow through the system. But no fluid came out the system under the car when I opened the bleeder screw. I pumped the clutch with the bleeder screw open, and still no fluid came out on the bottom, and still the fluid in the reservoir would not go down into the line when pumping the clutch.
It is possible that I lost the fluid in the system, but why can't I get any to go into the system?

I've looked at related threads, but I did not find this particular issue.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Worthless reject member
41,096 Posts
Now that does sound like a problem with the master, lines, or fluid contamination so severe it is clogging something.

i would first check the linkage underneath the dash, where the pedal lever hooks up to the master cylinder rod. check the firewall around where the master cylinder bolts in, as well. they are known to crack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will check the linkage and firewall as suggested. But to be clear, are you saying that the "firewall" cracks? Or that the master cylinder bolts crack?

·
Registered
562 Posts
the firewall itself cracks around where the clutch master bolts to it

·
Registered
562 Posts
everything to me looks normal in the pics

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
401 Posts
If fluid doesn't come out with the bleeder open and the pedal being pumped, AND fluid level is not dropping (no leaks anywhere in the system), it's highly likely a clutch master cylinder issue. But even so, it doesn't seem right that no fluid is coming out of the of the bleeder at all. Even without pumping the pedal, it should still slowly leak from the bleeder..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just removed the clutch master. When I disconnected the line under the car going to the slave, only a few drops came from the slave side (see pic) and practically none from the master side. I'm pretty certain the master was bad, but I still don't know if it was the leak source, since the whole system was practically dry.
But a new master, that will actually pump fluid through the system, should get me closer to the solution.
20200712_191800.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone, is there some trick to reconnecting the flexible clutch hydraulic line to the connector on the metal slave cylinder line? I have pushed it together hard before pushing in clip, and the rubber line end won't go deep enough into the connector for a proper fit.
There appears to be no damage, and there was no drama removing the line.
20200717_173201.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No obstruction or damage that I've notice. But there must be if there's no special approach.
I'll crawl under there and try it again....
Just back from trying again, no luck. And both ends look good. Aargh!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After all the struggles, it connected a few minutes ago. And somehow it ended up doing it with little pressure.
Unfortunately, there is a drip coming from that connection point. So, looks like I need to try a new o-ring and go through the reconnect nightmare again.

·
Seriously?
1,586 Posts
Good news; new o-ring stopped the leak. Bad news; now I know the slave cylinder is leaking/shot.
Easy fix, just time consuming, on the ground on jack stands. Not to rub it in, but I disconnected and reconnected my clutch line with no trouble. Weird that you had trouble plugging it back in. I would just replace the trans/slave side of the line when you do the slave, since you will be right there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got my car back from the transmission shop. Had the slave cylinder and clutch set replaced. Paid $500 using my parts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts