LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time at the track I did my burn out (about 4 sec). Got to the line. When I launched there was NO clutch responce at all. I was 100% off the clutch and my car didn't move an inch. I had to tap the clutch again then it grabbed and took off. I have also notice that if I rev my car to a high rmp for a burn-out or in nuetral just for fun my clutch after wont grab till I'm 90% off. This only happens sometimes. Has anyone else with a M6 felt this same thing I am talking about or know why it happens.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
bump for the hubby as I am curious as hell as well

·
Win just one for the Zipper
203 Posts
I had a similiar problem that Rossi took care of. Wound up being water in the clutch fluid and when it got hot, it made an air bubble. They changed my fluid and it's never reared it's ugly head again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k1200lt said:
I had a similiar problem that Rossi took care of. Wound up being water in the clutch fluid and when it got hot, it made an air bubble. They changed my fluid and it's never reared it's ugly head again.
I like your reply more then the new clutch one. I will try the fluid change first. Thanks

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
A problem with the hydraulic system such as contaminated fluid will cause incomplete clutch disengagement, resulting in symptoms like difficult shifting or trouble getting into gear. The pedal may also feel soft or have excessive free play. These symptoms may be constant or intermittent.
However a hydraulic issue should not cause the clutch to slip, UNLESS for some reason the master or slave is binding and keeping the clutch disengaged when the pedal is released. If that's happening it will probably require more than a fluid change to correct.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fox Mulder said:
A problem with the hydraulic system such as contaminated fluid will cause incomplete clutch disengagement, resulting in symptoms like difficult shifting or trouble getting into gear. The pedal may also feel soft or have excessive free play. These symptoms may be constant or intermittent.
However a hydraulic issue should not cause the clutch to slip, UNLESS for some reason the master or slave is binding and keeping the clutch disengaged when the pedal is released. If that's happening it will probably require more than a fluid change to correct.
Now my problem seems to be how to I approach the dealership. I can't come out and say this is what happend to me while at the track. Unless Frank from Rossi tells me not to worry about it.:secret:

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
If you're going to Rossi it shouldn't be a problem. Besides Frank has probably read this by now anyway. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fox Mulder said:
If you're going to Rossi it shouldn't be a problem. Besides Frank has probably read this by now anyway. ;)
Very true. I'll have to make the call. Hope its covered.

·
Just a Re-engineered Cavalier
2,244 Posts
Fox Mulder said:
Sorry to hijack, but my car is exhibiting some of these symptoms. Can this be done by a normal person, or do I have to bring it to the dealer??

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
Quantim0 said:
Sorry to hijack, but my car is exhibiting some of these symptoms. Can this be done by a normal person, or do I have to bring it to the dealer??
Depends on whether you're willing and able to work on it yourself, and how you feel about going to the dealer. As long as you haven't modified or abused the car it should be a warranty repair.
Bleeding/flushing the clutch fluid is something you can do yourself if you have the tools and a place to work, although accessing the bleeder at the slave is not fun on these cars. There are other threads that describe the process.
In many cases a thorough flush will take care of these problems.

·
2,244 Posts
Just called my dealer, this is how it went:

Me: Hi, my GTO (6k mi) is having issues shifting, I talked to some other owners and they said I should get my fluid flushed.
SM: Um, you don't need to do that it's a new car.
Me: I know that it's a new car, I bought it, I was told this would fix the issues of having to physically pull the tranny through 1 through 3.
SM: No, that won't solve that problem. We'll have Jerry (our tranny guy) look at it.
Me: He looked at it like 4k ago and said nothing was wrong, but it's gotten worse.
SM: If Jerry looked at it and said it's ok, then there is nothing wrong.
Me: I drove someone else's GTO and it was a hell of a lot smoother then mine.
SM: Well, it might be a bigger problem.
Me: :bomb: Can you just try that and see if it fixes it?
SM: No, bring it in and we'll look at it.
Me: whatever :fawkdance :fawkdance :fawkdance

So I searched for a link on how to do this and couldn't find one. Anyone have one handy, my seaching skills suck.

·
Bye Bye GTO
2,462 Posts
Clutch is toast.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
More than likely you glazed you clutch doing the burnout. Basically a buildup of friction material on the flywheel. I've done it to mine at least three times. After a day or two of "normal driving" mine has come back every time. I have 18000+ miles on the stocker with about 60 track passes and its still holding well. A clutch fluid bleed and replacement may help with some of the symptoms as well. I haven't done mine yet but its on the list.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tested out my car yesterday. While moving at about 35mph I put the clutch to the floor, raised the rpm's to about 5k 3 times. Let off the clutch and it didn't grab till i was about 95% off. Same thing from a stand still.

·
2,244 Posts
^^My clutch doesn't engage until about 2" from the top of the pedals travel. I assume this is not how it should be.

·
I got nothin!!!
1,613 Posts
I have had the exact same problems with mine...... think im going to change fluids, and quit driving it like i stole it!

·
I got nothin!!!
1,613 Posts
It kinda shifts like crap too.....has anyone else accidentally done the shifting into 2nd from the top of 3rd when trying to go into 4th!!!!!!!!! i catch it real quick though. only takes millisecond to realize you have you ****ed up..........i have never done that on any of my other cars!!!!!!! dont know what the deal is

1 - 18 of 18 Posts