LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I got nothin!!!
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that if when im about to shift if i let off of the gas and move the shifter out of gear at the same time it just slides right out......and then if you kind of barely push it against the gate of the next gear ......ya know just hold it kinda against the next gear it will slide into the next gear...without grinding or anything else....and also doing all of this without touching the clutch....is this bad for the tranny....cant do it going real fast...we you might be able to...i have never tried for fear of breakage??????????? ive done itin a bunch of my cars just not a whole lot.

·
Custom User Title
1,828 Posts
It wont do much damage if you don't grind the gears......only thing the clutch does is allow a quicker shift (with the help of the syncros) .

By changing without clutch, when you let off the gas and take it out of gear, the engine slows down and it will slip in when the engine and gearbox are turning at the same speed....

Some truckers never use a clutch while shifting......

·
I got nothin!!!
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is it possible or a good to try this when driving fast?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I know someone who tried that in a z28. snapped the timing chain,and you know what damage that caused!

·
king of the castle....
726 Posts
I wouldnt do this but to each his own. My dad is an owner-operator truck driver and he once told me after the truck gets rolling he doesnt use the clutch at all. I just stood there and looked at him stupid like.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i used to (and still) do this alot in my golf-cart hyundai accent. you can do the same thing down-shifting if you want by revving the engine a little while you're in neutral and getting the rpms right for the lower gear. i've only done this a couple of times in the goat as it just doesn't feel as natural as it does in the accent, plus i'm more worried about damaging the goat than the golf-cart.

·
Respect my Authoritah
597 Posts
Of course it is do-able if you match the revs to the speed, but why bother? You are applying uneccesary pressure to the synchros until the gears mesh. That is why the clutch is there, so what are you trying to accomplish?

·
I got nothin!!!
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Super Sonic speeds.................DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!:gears:

·
Registered
60 Posts
KirkDob said:
...what are you trying to accomplish?
call it laziness, call it whatever. that being said, there is a reason why i don't do it on the goat.

·
Wanted: engine to match
161 Posts
Well I drive truck and its true, most trucks shift easier without the clutch in most situations. That doesn't mean its the same for a car. It's not a better way to shift, but sometimes its handy I guess. Lol, I don't know when, maybe if your foots broken!
Don't bother trying with the intent on shifting faster, the only way to do it is by patiently waiting till the rpm is right.
Its good for impressing people though, and a fun challenge the first 2 times. If you want to really feel cool, always park on a downhill where you can just get rolling and slide it into gear. You never would have to use the clutch!! WHEEEEE!!!! :pimp: :ftw:

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Probley find you will miss gears 50% of more shifting without disengauging clutch.

I like using the clutch, never lifting on the gas is fun part:)

·
Omnicidal maniac
1,311 Posts
I would never risk my syncros shifting clutchless in the gto, but I do it all the time in the freightliner. It is much easier to rev match diesels because of the lower total range of rpm.

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
ellisk02 said:
i used to (and still) do this alot in my golf-cart hyundai accent. you can do the same thing down-shifting if you want by revving the engine a little while you're in neutral and getting the rpms right for the lower gear. i've only done this a couple of times in the goat as it just doesn't feel as natural as it does in the accent, plus i'm more worried about damaging the goat than the golf-cart.
Weird. I used to do that a lot in my Subaru before I had the goat. I've done it a couple times in the goat, but I thought it just didn't feel right too, so I quit. I still try to match revs when I downshift, but I use the clutch.

·
Porch Dick
20,340 Posts
GMH GTO said:
Probley find you will miss gears 50% of more shifting without disengauging clutch.
I am not trying to be rude or anything, but I read this a few times, and I just can't decipher it. What exactly are you saying?

I will take the GTO out of gear without the clutch on occasion, but I can't say that I have ever put it in gear without it. Guess I don't have the stones to try it.

·
I got nothin!!!
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah Im not going to anymore.....thought about it a lil. I used to have a Dodge Dayton back in the day and i did it in that car....Did alot of stupid shit in that car that I would never do in this one.

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
+my 2¢.. that's a great trick on an eaton fuller roadranger, but i don't do it on my goat. they put them synchros in for a purpose, and they work pretty well. the big diesel trannies don't even have synchros, a "true" manual transmission.. but the trick is not to be forgotten. i blew a clutch up in a 300zxtt once, and the spring blew out of the disc and lodged between the press plate and disc, making it impossible to operate the clutch. so i bypassed the neut. safety swx, started it in gear and trucker shifted all the way to the shop. it was like 15 miles. big pain in the butt..

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
bvbull200 said:
I am not trying to be rude or anything, but I read this a few times, and I just can't decipher it. What exactly are you saying?

I will take the GTO out of gear without the clutch on occasion, but I can't say that I have ever put it in gear without it. Guess I don't have the stones to try it.

OK, go take your car to a back road, go from a dig in 1st. gear WOT shift second 6600rpm without using clutch pedal, let us know what happens :)

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
^^^^ +1

·
Belch
943 Posts
Do not do it at high speed. For faster shifts, you can do something called speed shifting. It takes a LOT of practice -- but it's a technique where you just neft the clutch enough to quickly shift gears. Personally, I wouldn't do it with a car I've paid for. Company supplied car or sponsored race car, yes, something I scratching checks for, no.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
bvbull200 said:

It is a method of shifting that doesn't use the clutch. Basically, you rev it up like normal, then when you're ready to shift, you let off the gas enough so that you are neither accellerating or decelerating. At that moment, you can shift to the next gear...no clutch. I used to do it all the time on my motorcycles, but it doesn't feel right on the goat. I can quick-shift 1-2 and 3-4 by just poking the clutch. I imagine it will get better with the rip-shifter.

Gerry

1 - 20 of 39 Posts